Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Instructor says to disregard sights; use "triangulation" for "combat shooting"

Instructor says to disregard sights; use "triangulation" for "combat shooting"

Other thread with some context.

So we have a few weekends of training in the pipeline, this past weekend was numero uno. Instructor has a LE background, with some time in SWAT. Right off the bat he was saying we will not be "focusing on the sights" and instead using "triangulation and body-alignment to land upper-thoracic shots at speed." He says this technique will work out the 20 yards. Being a proper student, I held my incredulity. I don't consider myself of any shooting prowess, but have a few classes under my belt, a Defoor class this summer, and a few years of SSP and Production, and some marksmanship instructor BS in the Marines.

Am I right in my disbelief? Especially since this training is accompanying the legal burden of school protection? Has anyone encountered this before? He has the ears of the powers-that-are so I don't think there is anything I can say.

Another thing he did is after he verified all our weapons were clear, is suggest that during dry-fire and presentation practice, we aim at other students so we all get used to pointing guns at others and having guns pointed at us... I just aimed at the wall.

PS: Also... scout's honor, he was using a Serpa.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    Another thing he did is after he verified all our weapons were clear, is suggest that during dry-fire and presentation practice, we aim at other students so we all get used to pointing guns at others and having guns pointed at us... I just aimed at the wall.
    I'm pretty sure I would have left. I'm not willing to be some random guy's dryfire target.
    Last edited by JV_; 03-07-2016 at 10:28 AM.

Now *this* sounds about right for higher ed...

"triangulation"

Does that mean, fire first and then adjust the aim point depending on where the misses go?
    That is quite an amazing word. Well, I hope you use a "binary search" that would be,
    you should bracket your target with gun fire so that you know the target is in the interval
    then aim for the middle of the interval. Its a very efficient way to "search for your target" but
    I think in court they will call it "reckless endangerment".

What more verification do you need??? The guy is a tool.

Pointing guns at each other so you'll get used to it? Right. Forget about the sights? You bet.

Quote Originally Posted by nycnoob View Post
    "triangulation"

Does that mean, fire first and then adjust the aim point depending on where the misses go?
    That is quite an amazing word. Well, I hope you use a "binary search" that would be,
    you should bracket your target with gun fire so that you know the target is in the interval
    then aim for the middle of the interval. Its a very efficient way to "search for your target" but
    As a former 0811 I just imagined yelling a call for fire at my G19... thank you.

Instructor is a 'tard.

I need to become an instructor. If all these boobs can do it I can too. Free money!
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by nycnoob View Post
    "triangulation"

Unless the bad guy goes old school and uses HIS sights. In which case court won't be a problem.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Other thread with some context.

So we have a few weekends of training in the pipeline, this past weekend was numero uno. Instructor has a LE background, with some time in SWAT. Right off the bat he was saying we will not be "focusing on the sights" and instead using "triangulation and body-alignment to land upper-thoracic shots at speed." He says this technique will work out the 20 yards. Being a proper student, I held my incredulity. I don't consider myself of any shooting prowess, but have a few classes under my belt, a Defoor class this summer, and a few years of SSP and Production, and some marksmanship instructor BS in the Marines.

Am I right in my disbelief? Especially since this training is accompanying the legal burden of school protection? Has anyone encountered this before? He has the ears of the powers-that-are so I don't think there is anything I can say.

I sometimes get why people are so hesitant to pay for professional instruction. Wasting money on clown shoes bullshit like this.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post

I sometimes get why people are so hesitant to pay for professional instruction. Wasting money on clown shoes bullshit like this.
    Right? Thankfully there are no expenses on my end... I just am at a loss in regards as how to proceed. I guess I'll just be a good student and let my abilities speak for themselves, but I'm not doing another round of "dryfire at each other".

User Tag List