Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CZ-75 SP-01 fragile and finicky?

CZ-75 SP-01 fragile and finicky?

I've been tempted lately to get a CZ-75 SP-01 for serious self-defense use, just because I like metal frame pistols and this one could be carried cocked and locked. Also, these pistols are very popular in Europe within IPSC shooters. But I saw a video some months ago done by James Yeager in which he said that the CZ handguns are fragile... I'd like to confirm that by other firearms instructors like Larry Vickers, Ken Hackathorn etc. I guess that the most important feature of this pistol is its ergonomics, but at the same time these pistols may lack some durability and reliability when compared to some other DA/SA pistols, like Berettas and SIGs? Any input guys?
    GLOCK 17 - My choice for defensive handgun

I've witnessed and read about problems from some of the competition/tuned custom shop versions, but I've never had any serious breakages, any stoppages, or any malfunctions from my modified stock versions in over thousands of rounds and three pistols. I think some competitors and "tuners" run the brink of reliability and may blame the gun for it. Don't do that, or do it and realize the potential consequences.

The only weak part I've found is the trigger return spring, replace that every 10,000 reps.
    When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. -Tuco
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday... -Miyamoto Musashi

I put about 7k rounds through one a couple years back that I had polished myself and switched in a bunch of CGW parts. The only durability issues I had were breaking several trigger return springs. I did do a lot of dry fire at that time though and didn't keep track of my non-live fire trigger presses, so that may have had something to do with it.

While the TRS is fragile, I would not categorize the pistol itself as such. I think Slavex has had multiple CZ's with super high round counts.

I ran an SP-01 Tactical that had been tuned by CGW for about a year. No complaints. I would echo the concern to be preemptive with the TRS, though...

Overall I would not characterize CZs as unreliable... just not quite as polished out of the box.
    "A man's character is his fate."

First: Carrying an SP-01 cocked and locked is dumb. One of the best features of the gun is their fantastic DA trigger.

Second: My own sample of one broke trigger return springs with regularity every 10k or so, broke a slide stop at approximately 25k, and cracked the slide at approximately 50k (after I sold it). It also developed ejection timing issues from wear on the ejector at around 30k. It was decently reliable if one kept up with preventative maintenance, and I wouldn't have an issue carrying one that I didn't shoot on a fairly aggressive schedule.
    TY83544

Quote Originally Posted by s0nspark View Post
    Overall I would not characterize CZs as unreliable... just not quite as polished out of the box.
    My CZ-75 SP-01 has some rougher looking tool marks on the inside but it didn't seem to be in places where it would impact the functioning of the gun. Mine seemed to have a pretty nice trigger press overall, though I can't say I have compared it to tons of DA/SA type guns, or production race guns, and I know some people will polish up their parts or buy upgrades from CGW. I did break my TRS after a couple months of dry fire, but otherwise it's been running fine for me, including some dusty days on the range.

Quote Originally Posted by Talionis View Post
    First: Carrying an SP-01 cocked and locked is dumb. One of the best features of the gun is their fantastic DA trigger.
    +1 to this. Wish I had bought the decocker version instead. For my first gun the idea of a manual safety sounded great.

Site Supporter
    I had no problems with mine until I started trying to fine tune the dickens out of the trigger assembly and sear. That's on me, not the gun. No problems once I returned to stock.

The slide stop is a maintenence item as is the trigger return spring. Change out the slide stop every 20-25K rounds and you'll be fine, most get close to 30K out of them. I replaced the trigger return every 10 thousand with a chrome silicone spring as cheap insurance.

Think of it like a VW - nice end product, but you need to do the preventative maintenence to enjoy it more than a 1980 Chevy 1500.

Keep the thing stock and you should be good to go along with the preventative maintenance. You could always wait for the new version that addresses these issues.

My experience is that the hammer and sears are soft and wear out.
    Broke a TRS ever other week on my dry fire gun. Once a month on my practice gun.

Love the gun, feels great, accurate, but it is retarded to have 3 pistols in order to keep 1 running...

Frames and slides last a while - it is the small parts that are goofy...
    Last edited by Sal Picante; 02-29-2016 at 05:25 PM.

User Tag List