Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fiber Optic Sight Preference

Fiber Optic Sight Preference

I am looking at replacing my Ameriglo Spartan Tactical night sights on my duty G17 with a fiber optic setup to test out.

The gun will be used from afternoon into night settings and will always have a Surefire X300U on it as well as 2 handheld lights on me.

The front runners (in no order) are:

-Dawson Charger (.125 rear with .105 front)
    -Taran Tactical Glock sights
    -Warren Tactical

All setup's will be black rear with fiber front

Anybody have any experience with any of the above setups or another setup they recommend and care explaining why?

I am trying to find the "best" setup to try.

Thanks

I have a few Glocks with Dawson's and recently put a set of Vicker's on an old g19 ( both plain Black rear/ FO front. Out of the Two I prefer the Warrens.
    I've found I like my rear notch to be squared, but with rounded corners as opposed to round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just got Proctor's .125 square notch sights for my range gun, which is kind of my testing ground for my duty gun. I only have one range session with them but I like them. I like the narrow rear, works for my eyes/brain. Similar dimensions to the Dawson's, I think the Proctor front is a little wider.

I work afternoons too, so same lighting conditions. Although most of my cop stuff is done during day light hours and the night time is spent typing. The last time I qual'ed it was at night and not seeing the f/o wasn't a big deal.

Right now I am kind of leaning toward the Warren's.

I like the contrast of the plain (non-serrated) black rear with serrated front.

I also like the profile of the Warren rear sight because it combines the outer corners that are "cut"/ wave profile with the rounded edges of the inner corners.

I have the Warren Tactical .115" fiber optic front with the sevigny competition rear and so far I like it a lot. It is easy to install the fiber optic in the front sight, and the front sight is totally useable without any fiber optic at all should it break. The thin front sight and wide notch makes for very fast sights and yet I've gotten 3" groups at 25 yards offhand with win ranger +p 124grainer jhp's (using a Wilson drop in barrel).

I haven't exactly put the sights through real torture tests but I ran this set up decently hard, shooting more than 800 rounds during one day (Pistol portion of Frank Proctors Performance pistol and carbine) with drills where I would go through 3-4 full 17 rnd mags of rapid fire and my G17 was so hot at times I could feel the heat radiating to my skin through the kydes holster and pants. I've done multiple high round practice sessions since then and it's been around 9 months and I'm still on the same fiber optic insert.

I really dig em.
    Last edited by DacoRoman; 02-28-2016 at 08:04 AM.

Do they have to be low profile?

The dueck's aren't but they seem to work well.

http://www.vdmsr.com/2016/02/dueck-d...red-fiber.html
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I THINK the warrens don't have a serated rear.. Makes a huge difference for me and I have to have serated. YMMV
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    I THINK the warrens don't have a serated rear.. Makes a huge difference for me and I have to have serated. YMMV
    The sevigny rear isnt serrated but it's back sloped/angled in such a way that I've had no issues at all shooting in any outdoor lighting conditions super bright included. I find the smooth nature to be very non-distracting.

Quote Originally Posted by DacoRoman View Post
    The sevigny rear isnt serrated but it's back sloped/angled in such a way that I've had no issues at all shooting in any outdoor lighting conditions super bright included. I find the smooth nature to be very non-distracting.
    Agree. I've run both the warren, sevigny, and .130 sevigny rear sights. The .130 rear with 115 green FO is my preferred daytime setup. For indoor or lower light matches I find the 150 rear is easier to use.

Can't tell a difference between warren and sevigny shapes during use. One nice thing about the warren is you'll still see the shoulders on an IPSC silhouette at ~15 yards. Nice extra index point

I also believe Vogel just came out with a FO setup. Might be worth looking into.

User Tag List