Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Best battle rifle under 1800$

Any opinions on the SIG716?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by overton View Post
    Heavy, short rail with limited replacement options, some have reported accuracy issues.

For the $ I’d likely buy a SW or Armalite or kick up in price and buy a used LMT.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    It's probably not perfectly aligned with what the OP was thinking, but the Benelli R1 in .30-06 might be interesting. Not a lot of data on how reliable it would be for "battle," but eventually George will buy one and carry it around AK for us. The ten-round mags make it look pregnant and are expensive, but it's probably pretty good overall. Maybe even grizzly-reliable. It's also not an "assault rifle" under any U.S.-based ban I've bothered to pay attention to so far.

On Mega Arms, it looks like JSE Surplus is carrying on the "Gator" forged receiver line as a private label. They had the best price when they were marked Mega, and they say their own-branded parts are now made by Mega. Having enough experience with business deals like that, it's fully believable. To me, the "Gator" was the way to go for a build-your-own. Nothing proprietary, just outstanding quality.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I'll throw out an outlier for consideration: CZ 527 Carbine, in 7.62 x 39. Exceptionally accurate, extremely well made, very nice handling, 5 round steel detachable box magazine (relatively inexpensive at around $40). 7.62 x 39 is the ballistic equivalent of 30-30, and there are very credible cartridges available quite inexpensively (Wolf Polycoat 123 gr) and Hornady Black SST 123 gr for a higher grade hunting cartridge.

The antithesis of the Timmy Tactical approach...

Best, Jon

Some old AR 10 posts I found doing some research.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....10-Suggestions

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ighlight=Larue

I had an old SR25 many years ago. You guys are making me think I should get back into an AR 10.
    Last edited by DamonL; 07-21-2018 at 11:59 AM.

Cool

If, and this is a big if, magazine restrictions or some type of an AR ban go into effect, an old-school, well-built, vetted bolt rifle might see a bit of a resurgance. Built for extreme environmental possibilities, significantly soldier-proofed, easy to clean, lubricate and maintain. Preferably with decent 10 round magazines, which I think is a reasonable compromise between on-board capacity and possessing a decent lower profile. Yes, if you're on a military op, an AR is certainly desirable for putting out an immediate and somewhat sustainable base of suppressive fire, but how many of us realistically are involved in that scenario?

An accurate rifle, in a credible cartridge, capable of good (or excellent) performance, viable as a general purpose, multi-role/target rifle throughout a reasonable spectrum of ranges while maintaining sufficient effective terminal power might have a lot to offer.

I'm currently taking a hard and serious look at a Lee Enfield No 4 Mk 1 or 2, and Tikka's T3X Arctic (an under-the-radar truly vetted organizationally deployed scout rifle-but with apparently limited availability and expensive magazines, at $100 'Murrican at a crack....)(and was the exact rifle choosen to replace the Lee Enfield No 4 Mk 1 after testing/competition for Canada's Ranger organization).

But in the meantime, my CZ527 is going nowhere. :-)

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 06-02-2021 at 11:44 AM.

I've said it before but IMO the Ruger GSR is the modern Jungle Carbine. Quick, handy, powerful, multiple optic mounting options, 3, 5 or 10 round magazines and produced by a company known for fixing stuff if it needs fixing.

I bought one a few years ago when I thought a ban was coming. Since then the ARs have continued to multiply in my safe but I'm still glad I got the GSR.

Quote Originally Posted by MK11 View Post
    I've said it before but IMO the Ruger GSR is the modern Jungle Carbine. Quick, handy, powerful, multiple optic mounting options, 3, 5 or 10 round magazines and produced by a company known for fixing stuff if it needs fixing.

I bought one a few years ago when I thought a ban was coming. Since then the ARs have continued to multiply in my safe but I'm still glad I got the GSR.
    And it doesn't have the notorious floating zero the Jungle Carbines were notorious for...(which is one of the reasons in my Enfield quest that I'm restricting myself to No 4 Mk 1 and 2...) and the Tikka T3X Arctic)

The only things I don't like on the Ruger GSR is the physical size of their 10 round magazines, and, if I remember correctly, the trigger guard is plastic/polymer (in fairness, that's probably not a big deal).

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    And it doesn't have the notorious floating zero the Jungle Carbines were notorious for...(which is one of the reasons in my Enfield quest that I'm restricting myself to No 4 Mk 1 and 2...) and the Tikka T3X Arctic)

The only things I don't like on the Ruger GSR is the physical size of their 10 round magazines, and, if I remember correctly, the trigger guard is plastic/polymer (in fairness, that's probably not a big deal).

Best, Jon
    Well if arctic rifles are on the table, there's always the other Enfield, US Model 1917 :-) Still fascinated that they soldier on with Denmark's Sirius Patrol...
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by overton View Post
    The original Piston 716 you asked about was meh, however the new 716i Tread is a good value Direct Impingement AR-10, it’s essentially the same rifle recently adopted in quantity by the Indian Army.

User Tag List