Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What was the model 27/28 reputation from the past?

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Some of the original hard plastic Hogues I believe.
    Nope, Rogers which later became Safariland grips.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Just to emphasize.....cops won a ton of Gunfights with serious criminals with these things for a lot of years. You do your part, they’ll do theirs.
    Truth.

This picture was taken last month and this is at a very large agency. There are revolvers still in use out here.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Hogue makes a set of nylon grips like the rubber ones that are a similar design to the Rogers/Safariland as are their wood grips.
    I recently acquired a 2 1/2 inch 66-1 that had an early Hogue grip of wood look composite.

To the 27/28 question. In the early '70s I purchased a 5 inch 27 that had been a northern State Police issue. Can't seem to remember which agency it was from. It was a 5 screw that had been re-blued very professionally. The smoothest unmodified action I have ever in-countered. I shot it extensively for four or five years before stupidly trading it while at Colorado School of Trades in Denver. I got two guns for it, but have always regretted getting rid of it. I recently picked up a very fresh 4 inch 28-2 to fill the void.
    Billy

Gunsmith, M/C mechanic, Retired Army, NRA Life Member
    "When you have to shoot...Shoot don't talk" Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
    Truth.

This picture was taken last month and this is at a very large agency. There are revolvers still in use out here.

Judging by the boots I'm guessing mounted patrol, the four legged kind?
    That would be a sweet gig.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistol Pete 10 View Post
    27 and 28 are as good as it gets. I like the 19 better for carry tho.
    I love the Model 19 myself and found that it's lighter weight and seemed to be fast handling. As a very young (21 YOA) cop, I carried and shot one a lot. It became obvious very quickly that shooting lots of Magnum ammo in the gun was very hard on it from the endshake, timing and forcing cone wear imparted. When you get a clue about the 19, you realize it's a .38 Special you can shoot a few Magnums through, but not many. Bill Jordan, the father of the Combat Magnum (the real name for the gun), said that from the start.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    Judging by the boots I'm guessing mounted patrol, the four legged kind?
    That would be a sweet gig.
    Close...Motors...same boots pretty much. The mounted guys will wear spurs on theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
    Truth.

I'd like to know that officers background and assignment. Even though I'm a revolver lover, they wouldn't be my first choice as a duty weapon in modern LE work, but they can still do good work if required. On the other hand, I question the lack of speed loaders. Just a belt slide?
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

The Model 27/28 reputations were excellent. We were authorized to carry 4" S&Ws or Colts. Most carried the issue S&W Model 10s and 64s. Those who carried their own guns carried S&W Model 19s for the most part. A few guys carried Pythons. I don't think most considered one or the other better, just personal preference. A few guys carried Model 28s, but I never saw anyone carrying Model 27s. I bought a new Model 28-2 back in the day, and considered it to be every bit as good as the 27s I owned. The 28 got away from me somewhere along the way, but I still have the 27-2 I bought new in the '70s.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Rock185 View Post
    The Model 27/28 reputations were excellent. We were authorized to carry 4" S&Ws or Colts. Most carried the issue S&W Model 10s and 64s. Those who carried their own guns carried S&W Model 19s for the most part. A few guys carried Pythons. I don't think most considered one or the other better, just personal preference. A few guys carried Model 28s, but I never saw anyone carrying Model 27s. I bought a new Model 28-2 back in the day, and considered it to be every bit as good as the 27s I owned. The 28 got away from me somewhere along the way, but I still have the 27-2 I bought new in the '70s.
    5 inch? Sexy.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quick question, what is an "overstamped" 27-1? What changes does it signify?

User Tag List