Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Compact and Lightweight, Scout-like, .308 Bolt Gun

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I think one flaw in Cooper's thinking was that ammo of choice (in this case 308) must be readily available for resupply in an emergency.

If eight years of Obama and two months of Corona have taught us anything it is that if you don't already have it before an emergency you ain't going to get it during the emergency....

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
    IMO that depends on what you mean by “get it”. If you’re talking about being able to run down to the Walmart or having UPS drop it at your door, there’s an argument to be made that an abs cure caliber may be better (at least when ordering online) as it’s more likely to be in stock as the panic buyers clear out the standard calibers like 9mm, 223, 308, etc.

If we’re taking about a compete societal breakdown like some kind of zombie movie, you’re probably more likely to find two boxes of 308 in some farmer’s kitchen drawer than you are 6.5 or 300 win mag.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    IMO that depends on what you mean by “get it”. If you’re talking about being able to run down to the Walmart or having UPS drop it at your door, there’s an argument to be made that an abs cure caliber may be better (at least when ordering online) as it’s more likely to be in stock as the panic buyers clear out the standard calibers like 9mm, 223, 308, etc.

If we’re taking about a compete societal breakdown like some kind of zombie movie, you’re probably more likely to find two boxes of 308 in some farmer’s kitchen drawer than you are 6.5 or 300 win mag.
    Which scenario is more realistic? Plus one will likely proceed the other.

I've read similar thinking on some reloading forums. "I'm getting into reloading so I have ammo during the dry spell." That's only true to a point. Once your stash of primers, powder and bullets dries up that's it until the manufacturers catch back up. We should all remember how hard it was to get primers just a few years ago. And curently my local reloading store that's usually got a decent selection of powders is out of everything but the really slow magnum rifle stuff.

Cooper had some great ideas and much of his thinking still applies today. But that doesn't mean every idea he had was a good one.

It also doesn’t mean that every guy on the internet is smarter and/or has shit figured out more betterrer particularly if they don’t understand the whole context.

It’s like every screamin dipshit that decides to become a gun teacher and thinks they need to re-write the four rules because they don’t understand them themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I think one flaw in Cooper's thinking was that ammo of choice (in this case 308) must be readily available for resupply in an emergency.

If eight years of Obama and two months of Corona have taught us anything it is that if you don't already have it before an emergency you ain't going to get it during the emergency....
    Cooper was all about Cold War apocalyptic scenarios. He was likely thinking of the ability to barter for a few rounds from passing troops to help you hang on until you can get more. Also, if you follow a poorly disciplined unit long enough, you'll find that people routinely throw shit into the bushes because it's heavy and they're sick of humping it. Belted machine-gun ammo is one of the first things to go.

A 100-round belt of 7.62 NATO would let a bolt gunner make a nuisance of himself for quite some time, plus it's not that much weight to carry if you're not also humping the MG.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Cooper was all about Cold War apocalyptic scenarios. He was likely thinking of the ability to barter for a few rounds from passing troops to help you hang on until you can get more.
    If that was his thinking it may have been valid 30 years ago. Again, looking at it from modern times (Katrina in this case) authorities are more likely to try and seize your property rather than help you.

The M1 Carbine is a great little gun and I enjoy shooting it. It is an interesting gun from a historical standpoint for its military use as well as its design and manufacturing history. That doesn't mean that it is still the best choice in a modern world. Yes. It will kill you just as dead as it would 80 years ago but there are better platforms on the market nowadays. This is pretty much how I see the Scout. A somewhat interesting study into what's possible but not really all that good in the modern market.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    A 100-round belt of 7.62 NATO would let a bolt gunner make a nuisance of himself for quite some time, plus it's not that much weight to carry if you're not also humping the MG.
    The same must be true of 5.56...
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    The same must be true of 5.56...
    Yes, and even more so now, but Cooper despised the 5.56 almost as much as he despised the 9mm.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Obviously, the metric system is nothing but a Communist plot.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Not even close

He thought that the metric system made a lot of sense—that’s why he stated the specs for the Scout rifle in metric units of measure. But he saw going from a 30 to a 22 as a giant step backwards that encouraged the use of hand-held full-auto fire instead of forcing people to learn to shoot. He also hated the idea that we’d gone from a 45 to a 35 for a second time given that it didn’t work so well the first time.

Okie John

User Tag List