Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: I Load Fast

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    I'm reminded of a story from a time not long ago. In the story there was a young boy and a kite. The kite needed wind to fly if you wished to fly the kite stationary. Alas, running with the kite created thrust and it soared deep into the sky wind notwithstanding.

You see where I'm going with this?
    No. So far I have failed to outsource the job and failed to get the tool to DIY and am generally just irritated about the whole thing. I have interest and money and have reached out multiple times to multiple vendors

Someone take my money!
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    I found it when looking for a replacement for my beloved ETR-7, no longer available after Expansion Industries went tits up, lied and attempted to defraud me. MAXAM CSB-1 is supposed to be the same thing but it is less available and less cost-effective if and when you can find it. I went questing for a new powder (see this thread) and Prima V is what I settled on.

I bought a jug of SV for testing, it's too fast for my needs. For 9mm I think it is on the edge of overpressure yet not quite making 125 power factor - not a place I like to be.

It might be worth testing with PCC though, a bud has been using CSB-6 (faster) powder and getting good results. Or maybe with really light bullets, but again, not what I'm looking for.

For 9mm Prima V seems to be a winner on availability and price (note 1.1 lb or 1/2 Kilo jugs). It burns clean (completely unlike a comparable powder, TiteGroup). It is a relatively fast burning powder, and this is what I want.

I had concerns about metering and settling, but more recently I have been shaking up the jugs before pouring into my powder measure and this seems to help quite a bit. If you don't do this then the granules settle in layers and metering can change quite a bit as (I think) it settles or you work through the layers.

The smaller granules leaks out of primer flash holes if you miss a primer somehow, sort-of annoying relative to large flake powder. Then again, the more dense granules don't fly out of cases during the reloading process as easily.

Powder Valley has it for $14.95 but you get hit with hazmat and I assume shipping which isn't such a good deal.

Grafs has it for $16.99/1.1 lb; put 10 jugs in your cart and you can get free shipping and no hazmat fee! That works out to $15.36/lb delivered, or about $0.008/round. Works for me!!!

Interesting... I assume it doesn't stink like Titegroup either?
    #RESIST

I haven't noticed any unusual odors, just normal powder burn. It does generate smoke, just not excessive smoke.

I never used TiteGroup, but I see others using it and can spot the smoke and excessive carbon deposits on their guns.

Site Supporter
    GL, how has this been with your dillon powder drop? Do the larger granuals tend to settle down to the bottom, or are your production runs large enough to not really matter? Any tips to help keep the drops consistent?

Per requests - a longer video from this weekend's activities.

Saturday night I reloaded and case gauged about 3100+ rounds solo and Sunday AM a buddy and I loaded 1700- more.

On the solo run I was pretty effectively loading on the 1050, filling primers and case gauging all in parallel. I did struggle a good while with priming issues, for some reason the press gets moody and primers aren't getting installed. I haven't figure this new issue out 100% yet and yes I've cleaned everything and replaced the blue tip on the primer feed tube - twice.

I get a distinct cylon vibe watching that. It lacks only one thing:

In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Per requests - a longer video from this weekend's activities.

Saturday night I reloaded and case gauged about 3100+ rounds solo and Sunday AM a buddy and I loaded 1700- more.

On the solo run I was pretty effectively loading on the 1050, filling primers and case gauging all in parallel. I did struggle a good while with priming issues, for some reason the press gets moody and primers aren't getting installed. I haven't figure this new issue out 100% yet and yes I've cleaned everything and replaced the blue tip on the primer feed tube - twice.

If this video doesn't get someone motivated to reload- then nothing will. Great stuff- wish you lived in Fort Worth.
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

I haven't noticed any unusual odors, just normal powder burn. It does generate smoke, just not excessive smoke.

I never used TiteGroup, but I see others using it and can spot the smoke and excessive carbon deposits on their guns.
    That would be me. Never had it cause issues with the gun with regards to carbon, though.
    #RESIST

This powder is the shizzle, as far as I am concerned: https://hi-techammo.com/products/csb...h-loading-data

This powder is the shizzle, as far as I am concerned: https://hi-techammo.com/products/csb...h-loading-data
    #DesireToKnowMoreIntensifies
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    This powder is CSB-1M, like CSB-1 but with a slightly smaller flake. CSB-1 is reportedly what the ill-fated / Expansion Industries ETR-7 powder was, rebranded.

Recently I discovered that Hi-Tech Ammo was reselling CSB-1M and has a good supply. I spoke with the owner and got 1 lb powder for evaluation. I worked up a load and shot a pound's worth - basically just like CSB-1/ETR-1 but the smaller flake might meter even better. This is a high bar as the bigger flakes already meter extremely well.

Short version: Fast Powder, Meters Well, Good Fill Volume, Temperature Stable, Burns Clean, Great Price.
    Availability - Just Hi-Tech Ammo - for now.

I have no reservations about this powder.

My last load workup:
    124gr ACME New Nose Profile polymer coated, < 1.130 COAL, 3.8 gr CSB-1M, 128 Power Factor

Here are some old threads on ETR-7:

http://www.doodieproject.com/index.p...etr-7/?hl=etr7
    http://www.doodieproject.com/index.p...ition-powders/

User Tag List