Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: anatomy of a lounge-around gun

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    So... that's reductio ad absurdum. "I can create an absurd hypothetical to counter your practical conclusion."
    Sure. But that assumes an absurd hypothetical has been proposed and the conclusion offered was practical. I don't see that as being the case.

Essentially you're saying that since you cannot guarantee that any one gun will be able to win the fight in every single imaginable circumstance that you might as well just carry a j-frame.
    I think you know better than that. I am saying that given the concept of a lounge-around gun, the J-frame meets the need quite well.
    But following that logic, why bother with the gun at all? It's like you're purposely trying to thread a needle between the huge percentage chance of not needing a gun at all today and the unlikely chance of needing a gun today.
    Nope. I'm proposing that given the described situation a particular solution addresses the situation quite well. Nothing can address all situations perfectly, but in the parameters offered the solution is quite viable. There are other solutions and I don't object to them. I do object to the idea that because there are other solutions that the offered solution is inadequate. I don't make fun of folks that feel they need hi-cap big guns wondering around the house, it's good that they know their limitations in their situation. But don't come down on others that don't share those limitations in their situation. It is not the difference between "not needing a gun at all today" and "needing a gun today", it is the difference between "needing a gun today" and "needing a gun today to do something the J-frame can't handle."

What it boils down to is pretty simple: if and when you do need a gun, if you could suddenly have either a j-frame or a G26 appear in your hand, which would you pick? Unless you're going to be argumentative for the heck of it, you'd pick the G26.
    As you point out, that is only one part of the problem, and I would go so far as to suggest it is the minor part of the problem. And nothing argumentative about it, I'd pick my J-frame. There is a reason the G26 is a safe queen. Much as I love my other Glocks, the G26 is uncomfortable for me to carry and shoot, and given the choice I regularly take the J-frame if thta is the choice.
    So given that you'd prefer a G26 for the fight, all that's left is to weigh the cost (time, effort, comfort) of carrying a G26 instead of a j-frame. I acknowledge that it's not as zombie thoughtless simple to carry a G26 as it is to drop a j into your pocket. But it's not as easy to push a quarter across a table as it is to push a dime, either... but neither of those things is actually difficult and I doubt anyone would opt to receive the dime over the quarter just because it was "easier."
    Actually it might be easier to push a quarter, given that it has a larger surface for you to interact with as opposed to the dime. That beside the point, lots of folks have made that decision to carry the J-frame because the definite cost in time, effort, and comfort outweighs the possible benefits of the G26.
    Last edited by David Armstrong; 04-10-2013 at 04:58 PM.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

Page 9... Tamara wisdom says this thread jumped the shark 4 pages ago.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Page 9... Tamara wisdom says this thread jumped the shark 4 pages ago.
    I think we can squeeze a little more out of it. It's only to page five on Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I'm open to suggestions on how to carry a Glock 26 while wearing elastic waisted nylon shorts with no pockets.
    And no, having a Smartcarry flop around and dig into my crotch isn't going to cut it.
    My 11 oz. Grip-Clip J-frame does it no problem.
    Perhaps if I lived "la vida loca" i'd worry about a cartel hit team kicking in my door, but my biggest concern is the opportunistic meth head sneaking into my garage while i'm napping on the couch or the stray pit bull digging into my yard to fight with my dogs.

If the topic was what gun to carry while conducting my daily business in my usual daily attire the whole argument would be valid.
    Or what gun to carry when I just stepped in the door after conducting my daily business.
    The topic is "lounge-around" gun, and lounge around attire for me isn't jeans, two shirts (stylish oversized Polo plus wicking undershirt), a 5-stitch belt, AIWB holster and mag carrier.
    "Lounge-around" for me is what I do once i'm home for the evening, showered and not planning on stepping beyond my locked front door.
    My favored attire for that activity is comfortable nylon shorts and a T-shirt.
    I'm willing to bet that the 5 shot J-frame stuffed in the waistband of my basketball shorts is 100% more gun than the majority of people carry when dressed similarly.
    I've been following this thread with interest. My favorite hot weather "lounge around gun" is indeed a J-frame, but this thread (and some others) got me thinking. I live in a hot locale also and my favorite "lounging" wear is usually a T-shirt and a pair of my old nylon fishing shorts. Today when I got home, I changed into lounge wear (aforementioned fishing shorts and T-shirt) and instead of putting my Clip-grip J-frame in my waistband I put a belt on the fishing shorts and a VG2 and a Glock 19. (And a spare G17 mag in a Safariland 71 pouch for good measure.) Been lounging for a while now and I must say it is a little heavier but almost as comfy as my 642. Definitely need a belt, but it is do-able.

So, although I agree intellectually with those who say you are probably just fine with a J-frame lounging around the house (and always ten steps from a 12 gauge at my casa) Todd may have still converted me.

Quote Originally Posted by JConn View Post
    So assuming you can figure out a way to carry a glock 26 where you can get a good grip on it, which I don't think is that hard, .
    Have you tired? I have, over the course of several years.

I go with as big a gun as I can get away with for my mode of dress and the situation at hand.

I have been in a position to carry a 1911, as a BUG, to a M60 machine gun.

I carried a S&W 6906 for many years as a BUG to my 5906. I go run hills with a Galco fanny pack containing a G19 and a reload.

On vacation in Puerto Rico a couple of months ago I was in very comfortable attire, mostly cargo shorts and a T-shirt once out of the condo, but was carrying a Glock 19, two reloads (for me two is just as uncomfortable as one so why not...). My BUG would normally be a 642 but this time I took my LCR .22 and a reload strip for it, along with my big ass ZT folder.

I'm willing to do the work, dress around the gun, and put up with discomfort, however, comma, a G26 does not and will never draw from a pocket as well as a 642. Period. The very shape of the gun precludes this.

I used to carry a G26 to BUG my on duty G17 but arthritis in my knee got to the point that I could no longer carry a gun that heavy on my ankle all day long. So I now have two 642s as BUGs while at work.

Like Jody, when I am at home and wearing something like gym shorts I am comfortable with carrying my comfortable little guns. My doors are locked unless I am taking the trash out or whatever, my pocking set up would defeat a ram for several hits, and large handguns, carbines and shotguns are close by when I am inside.

Me having my gun on me, as has been noted by others, is likely way more gooder for threat response than what most people have, which is most often nothing at all.

And yet, when there are legitimate fears of lightning strikes, most people do in fact take reasonable measures to prevent getting hit.
    I would argue that one has warning when lightening is going to show up via weather reports and such. If I heard the theme to the Good, the Bad and the Ugly and saw three guys in dusters walking towards the front of my house I would in fact adjourn to another room to get a really big gun.

One does not duck lightening on days where the sky is clear blue.
    Last edited by Chuck Haggard; 04-10-2013 at 07:28 PM.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    I would argue that one has warning when lightening is going to show up via weather reports and such. If I heard the theme to the Good, the Bad and the Ugly and saw three guys in dusters walking towards the front of my house I would in fact adjourn to another room to get a really big gun.
    I think you just made my point for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    I don't think you'll find anyone on any side of this discussion who'd disagree with that.

"I would rather own a Yugo than no car at all."

The question isn't whether a j-frame is better than a dirty look. The question is whether there are guns as easy to carry, practically speaking, that have better ballistics, more firepower, and/or superior shootability.
    And as reliable and as easy to draw? In my experience no. I find a j frame very shootable but that's me. I think the ballistics of a heavy standard velocity .38 hold there own against a 9mm (I don't mean just as good but close). I find a j much easier to carry than a G26. I can carry it appendix or in a front pocket with more safely than a striker fired pistol. And the biggy, I'm more likely to carry it around the house than just about anything else.

Within the context of lounging around the house the j frame is just about perfect.

That's just my opinion of course. Other people may disagree with it...but they would be wrong

Well, it appears that not all of us are steely eyed BAMF's that wear a 5-stitch 24/7.......and then some of us are.

Whoda thunk. Phenomenal discussion here, it's pretty original. I'm wearing gym shorts right now, with no gun. At this point of the day, after the day I had, I don't really give a shit, either. Ya'll can feel free to piss on my grave if it makes you feel better in validating your carry choices due to personal insecurity and a need to beat a dead horse any chance you get, 'cause ya know the "you're going to die if you don't carry what I carry" crap hasn't occurred at any time in history on the gunternet.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    JodyH, would something the size of a G26, or your P2000sk work in a pair of basketball shorts with pockets? I also generally lounge around the house in a pair of nylon shorts, but I don't own any subcompact semi-autos to try.
    Unfortunately, those pistols would be heavy enough to drag the pockets down to your knees, and probably drag the shorts down as well.......unless you tightened the waistband super tight, thereby defeating the purpose of wearing gym shorts while still having a gun flopping around by your knees in a stretched out pocket. I have a 14oz (unloaded) pistol, and even that isn't pocketable in gym shorts.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Not everyone can be a awesome as Jody...

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Ya'll can feel free to piss on my grave if it makes you feel better in validating your carry choices due to personal insecurity and a need to beat a dead horse any chance you get, 'cause ya know the "you're going to die if you don't carry what I carry" crap hasn't occurred at any time in history on the gunternet.
    So I'm wearing my 1911 right now while lying on the couch watching television not because it's the gun I've been wearing comfortably all day but because I'm insecure? I don't know, but it seems the person trying to justify his choice by making fun of other people is the one who sounds insecure.

User Tag List