Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: Hunting bolt gun

Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    Some great input right there.

What would be your choice for next step up from that vortex and which line of vortex was it?
    The step-up from the Viper I'm running would be something in the Razor line. I'm pretty sure that the Swarovski Z3 Paul D is running is a step up from a Viper as well. Not sure which direction I'm going to go yet, as my scope research has been deprioritized as I focus on my (first!) upcoming turkey season. I'll highlight again though that my personal experience is limited to one white tail season, and I'd totally defer to Dualist's comments on the presence of solar flare. I may upgrade and wind up with the same issue in a more expensive scope, and I've had no other perceived issues with the Viper HS.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    If you read O'Connor, you'll end up with a .270 Win. He died in 78 so I won't hold it against him. I think he was the reason I bought a 7mm Mag in 1970.
    Not that there’s anything wrong with that!!
    Name:  CE15F97C-2887-4DD0-9E68-7806C9A9EBA4.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  104.6 KB

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    If you read O'Connor, you'll end up with a .270 Win. He died in 78 so I won't hold it against him. I think he was the reason I bought a 7mm Mag in 1970.
    This caused me to search "O-Connor 7mm rem mag" and found a pretty cool writeup he did in 1972 extolling the virtues of 7x57, and another article on Chuckhawks explaining how 7-08 is actually equivalent, if not ballistically superior, as well as logistically vastly better in modern America.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    This caused me to search "O-Connor 7mm rem mag" and found a pretty cool writeup he did in 1972 extolling the virtues of 7x57, and another article on Chuckhawks explaining how 7-08 is actually equivalent, if not ballistically superior, as well as logistically vastly better in modern America.
    https://gundigest.com/more/classic-g...ars-little-7mm

I'm not a fan of the 7mm Rem Mag although it's probably the most popular mag rifle cartridge sold today in the US. I gave mine away because I didn't enjoy shooting it that much, my brother was in need of a rifle, and I had moved from AZ to WA where the fishing was a lot better than the hunting. I stopped deer hunting around 1975.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Local spot has a Steiner GS3 2-10x42 with German #4 reticular #5004. Normally $879. On sale for $599. Could maybe budge to $550. Anyone out there that can vouch for this optic? 18oz.

I’m pretty much ready to buy. I don’t HAVE TO right now but I can.

As of now I’m digging the Bergara Wilderness Hunter in 308 with low Talley rings and we will see on the optic. Steiner GS3 is looking good for 550-600. But we will see.

Honorable mention goes to a Bergara in 6.5 or a Tikka in 308, 6.5 or 30-06 in stainless. But I’m leaning Bergara. If something else smacks me in the next couple days that changes this I’ll keep it up. Otherwise I’ll order the Bergara.

Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    As of now I’m digging the Bergara Wilderness Hunter in 308 with low Talley rings and we will see on the optic. Steiner GS3 is looking good for 550-600. But we will see.
    That would be a good setup. The rifle looks good, a friend bought some Talley rings for a custom rifle he found used and I was very impressed, while its not Long range/Precision kewl the #4 reticle is great for normal deer hunting, my .416 has a Leupold scope with their version of that reticle, though intended for bigger game.

As a confirmed Boomer I lean toward the .308 because it has worked for me for decades. A friend who is genuinely a thoughtful shooter raves about his 6.5 Creedmore (Manbun / Vegan) and I respect his opinion, plus it should be a carbon copy of the 6.5 Swede which has put a lot of venison on the pole for about a century.

What ever you buy you aren’t married for life and trading in a rifle isn’t nearly as expensive as a divorce.

Just bought a Bergara Wilderness Hunter in 308!

Ordered the 2-10 Vortex, Talley one piece aluminum 1” low rings, and fix it sticks. All I need is ammo and time.

Site Supporter
    Sounds like you should be set, then! Congratulations!

User Tag List