Page 41 of 131 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt Resurrecting the Python?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    Thankfully. There were some shitty Bangor era guns built 40 years ago. The 80s wasn't exactly a high point for S&W. Plenty of Monday/Friday examples to go around.

I have yet to see a 2k challenge completed on a new Python so categorically stating that they're a better value is still premature. The 929s may have mediocre actions and (occasionally) canted barrels but they generally seem to make it through a USPSA revolver season without much drama.

I stated it’s my opinion that the new Python better value than a new S&W. You are welcome to disagree with my opinions.
    Last edited by Pol; 02-07-2021 at 09:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    1500 rounds so far with no issues. Trigger has really shot in nicely
    How are the stocks?

The old Python's stocks flared out at the bottom and made control of the gun harder than it needed to be when going double action (everyone was making that sort of stock back in the day, so it's not a Colt specific thing). I've only seen pics and videos of the new one and it looks similar but I can't ell.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Site Supporter
    Can't remember where I read this but someone has claimed the stocks on the new Python do not permit the use of speed loaders. If true I find it quite short sighted on the part of Colt's designers, and it reinforces my general opinion of what has become of this grand old American gun maker. Sad indeed!

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    Can't remember where I read this but someone has claimed the stocks on the new Python do not permit the use of speed loaders. If true I find it quite short sighted on the part of Colt's designers, and it reinforces my general opinion of what has become of this grand old American gun maker. Sad indeed!

Dave
    The new Python grips work about as well with speed loaders as the old grips did, which is not very well. So, your criticism of a grand old company backsliding really doesn't apply. Although I agree in a general sense. The new grips aren't worth a shit for practical shooting anymore the the old ones were. The new ones maintain the classic profile except for one thing: they're much narrower than the old ones. Most will find this decreases their comfort level with heavy loads.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    The new Python grips work about as well with speed loaders as the old grips did, which is not very well. So, your criticism of a grand old company backsliding really doesn't apply. Although I agree in a general sense. The new grips aren't worth a shit for practical shooting anymore the the old ones were. The new ones maintain the classic profile except for one thing: they're much narrower than the old ones. Most will find this decreases their comfort level with heavy loads.
    Sorry Trooper but I do not understand your criticism. If Colt did not think it necessary to make speed loader use viable or easy in this, the 21 Century, I think it is indeed a sign that this grand old gun maker is indeed short-sighted...at least "in a general sense."

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Pol View Post
    I stated it’s my opinion that the new Python better value than a new S&W. You are welcome to disagree with my opinions.
    Thanks for your permission.

Im looking forward to someday picking up a new python. I think the new ones are very promising.

Besides the occasional lemon Ive been very impressed with smiths new guns. Yes the locks are ugly. Same with the 2 piece barrels but the triggers are good and occasionally better than the older guns. The k frames are stronger as well. Im waiting for my m66 to start falling apart. Ill break 20k rounds of full house magnums this year.

Thats close to 7k a years plus 3k/year of +p .38s

I think the new pythons are nice but far from a better value

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    So..

If X = the cost of a good used 66/686/GP.100,

Then 1.2X or so for a new GP.100 or 66/686,

2X for a new Python (MSRP),

4+X for a Korth from Nighthawk.

Is that roughly right?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    Sorry Trooper but I do not understand your criticism. If Colt did not think it necessary to make speed loader use viable or easy in this, the 21 Century, I think it is indeed a sign that this grand old gun maker is indeed short-sighted...at least "in a general sense."

Dave
    My guess is that Colt judges the market for the new Python to be mostly collectors rather than shooters. If all you're going to do is look at it, and maybe take it to the range once in a while, clearance for speedloaders is superfluous.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Thanks for your permission.

Im looking forward to someday picking up a new python. I think the new ones are very promising.

Besides the occasional lemon Ive been very impressed with smiths new guns. Yes the locks are ugly. Same with the 2 piece barrels but the triggers are good and occasionally better than the older guns. The k frames are stronger as well. Im waiting for my m66 to start falling apart. Ill break 20k rounds of full house magnums this year.

Thats close to 7k a years plus 3k/year of +p .38s

I think the new pythons are nice but far from a better value
    I tend to put more stock on the opinion of people with actual experience of the firearm they are expressing their opinion on.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    My guess is that Colt judges the market for the new Python to be mostly collectors rather than shooters. If all you're going to do is look at it, and maybe take it to the range once in a while, clearance for speedloaders is superfluous.
    Chuck,

You have no doubt struck the nail upon the flat part. My orientation after 25-30 years of teaching self defense with a handgun, competing, and putting on matches is always toward the defensive role of a pistol or revolver. My "range toys" are single action, black powder cartridge revolvers. Anything else is serious business.

Dave

User Tag List