Page 40 of 132 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt Resurrecting the Python?

What's the latest scoop with these?

Local gun store has a 6-inch for sale. I really don't want a 6-inch Revolver. They say every now and then a 4.25 inch will show up but it doesn't even gather a molecule of dust before someone snags it up.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    What's the latest scoop with these?

Local gun store has a 6-inch for sale. I really don't want a 6-inch Revolver. They say every now and then a 4.25 inch will show up but it doesn't even gather a molecule of dust before someone snags it up.
    Consensus seems that Colt's made a quality revolver with the Python update. They stumbled out of the gate but reportedly have fixed the production gremlins that were causing damage at the muzzle. The "does not revolve" problem apparently locates to sideplate screws backing out, undoing the action; current models are Loctited or some such.

Consistently reported now is that current examples ship with heavier actions in single and double compared to the first ones to hit market and it's unclear why that would be unless ignition issues were reported widely enough that a fix was needed.

Immediate question for prospective buyers now is finding one. After that, if it's worth Colt's asking price. And after that, if it's worth the premium above Colt's asking price most are going for the current seller's market.

Medium-to-long term question is what kind of future and support the Python will have amidst Colt's ongoing financial woes, and perhaps under new ownership from CZ. Remains to be seen...
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

Site Supporter
    For whatever this is worth, I can say from firsthand experience that CZ is still providing good support for Dan Wesson revolvers. Hopefully the same will be true for Colt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

I’m looking forward to hearing Caleb’s thoughts after spending some time with one. If it’s a favorable review I’ll likely plunk down the cash for one.

At more than MSRP I think the new Python's a non-starter. At MSRP, it's about nostalgia, or an alternative to S&W's lock. But as it stands I think it's priced and perhaps engineered in a no man's land.

I'd rather pay a third to a half less for a known quantity in any number of S&W's current L or K frames, or simply go all in and get a Korth or Manurhin.

Or for less than half the price get a Ruger and send it to Gemini and end up with something far better than the Colt for not much more cash.
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingate's Hairbrush View Post
    At more than MSRP I think the new Python's a non-starter. At MSRP, it's about nostalgia, or an alternative to S&W's lock. But as it stands I think it's priced and perhaps engineered in a no man's land.

I'd rather pay a third to a half less for a known quantity in any number of S&W's current L or K frames, or simply go all in and get a Korth or Manurhin.

Or for less than half the price get a Ruger and send it to Gemini and end up with something far better than the Colt for not much more cash.
    Current S&Ws are not the same quality as those from 30-40 years ago. The new Python is as well fitted and finished as the originals, and has a better DA trigger. In all honesty, I am of the opinion a new Python presents better value for money than any brand new S&W revolver.

I’m on the same page as you re Korth and Manurhins. Rather than buying another Python I’ll put the money towards buying another Manurhin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pol View Post
    Current S&Ws are not the same quality as those from 30-40 years ago.
    Thankfully. There were some shitty Bangor era guns built 40 years ago. The 80s wasn't exactly a high point for S&W. Plenty of Monday/Friday examples to go around.

The new Python is as well fitted and finished as the originals, and has a better DA trigger. In all honesty, I am of the opinion a new Python presents better value for money than any brand new S&W revolver.
    I have yet to see a 2k challenge completed on a new Python so categorically stating that they're a better value is still premature. The 929s may have mediocre actions and (occasionally) canted barrels but they generally seem to make it through a USPSA revolver season without much drama.

Quote Originally Posted by Pol View Post
    Current S&Ws are not the same quality as those from 30-40 years ago.
    Or at least there were no complaints posted online

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Or at least there were no complaints posted online
    I see what you did there.

Quote Originally Posted by S Jenks View Post
    I’m looking forward to hearing Caleb’s thoughts after spending some time with one. If it’s a favorable review I’ll likely plunk down the cash for one.
    1500 rounds so far with no issues. Trigger has really shot in nicely

User Tag List