Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vetting a shotgun

Vetting a shotgun

How do you vet your gauges?

How many rounds to assure function and to get past infant mortality?

How specific is the vetting to one load, like 9 pallet Flite Control?

Pump and auto?

Discuss please.

I was thinking the same thing. I’ve just picked up a couple Turkish shotguns to fool around with - a pump and a semi auto. Waiting on the auto, the pump I’ve had for a week or so. I was planning on doing a vetting process on each and was thinking about what I would do.

Since good buckshot loads are hard to find, I hadn’t planned on doing a bunch of shooting with the Federal FC stuff. Was gonna shoot 1 or 2 through each shotgun from 15 yards and see what the pattern is like. Usually anything 10 and in w FC loads is pretty much a waste. Going to do the same with some other loads I have. Other than that, I haven’t decided yet.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Seems like there are two different types of vetting:

1) is X brand and model reliable

2) is this sample of a known reliable model, like the 1301 or M2, reliable.

Number 2 is a lot easier then 1.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

To follow GJM, it'd take several from different places over an extended period of time (year+) to get to #1;

As for #2, that's a lot easier. I'd offer that if one looked at the round count any reputable 2-3 day class and ran that through the gun (or the gun through that class), you'd have a real good idea of whether or not it can be trusted.

I probably put 2-300 shells of 00b, slug, #8 through my 1301 before I was ready for it to replace my 870.

Recently got a Turkish man'f semi-auto 12ga from the LGS. A sales guy there said they'd been selling a bunch. I asked if any had been returned, oh, no, none have come back. How much are they getting shot? No idea. I looked at several instructors' 2-3 day shotgun classes, got their round counts, and averaged them.
    Based on that, my plan is to run 200 #8, 50 00B, and 50 slugs through it and see how it holds up.

Currently, I'm 100 #8 and 5 slugs through it. So far, the rear sight assembly has worked its way loose twice - the second time after being cleaned & the locktite'd in place.

More on this when I'm done but it's interesting to see how the "new" stuff holds up.
    Last edited by Erick Gelhaus; 11-27-2021 at 12:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    To follow GJM, it'd take several from different places over an extended period of time (year+) to get to #1;

As for #2, that's a lot easier. I'd offer that if one looked at the round count any reputable 2-3 day class and ran that through the gun (or the gun through that class), you'd have a real good idea of whether or not it can be trusted.

I probably put 2-300 shells of 00b, slug, #8 through my 1301 before I was ready for it to replace my 870.

Recently got a Turkish man'f semi-auto 12ga from the LGS. A sales guy there said they'd been selling a bunch. I asked if any had been returned, oh, no, none have come back. How much are they getting shot? No idea. I looked at several instructors' 2-3 day shotgun classes, got their round counts, and averaged them.
    Based on that, my plan is to run 200 #8, 50 00B, and 50 slugs through it and see how it holds up.

Currently, I'm 100 #8 and 5 slugs through it. So far, the rear sight assembly has worked its way loose twice - the second time after being cleaned & the locktite'd in place.

More on this when I'm done but it's interesting to see how the "new" stuff holds up.
    That’s a good idea and a good plan. Thanks.

Which Turk gun did you get?
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

I let Aberdeen, LAPD, and the USMC vet my choice of shotgun (Benelli m4). I vet my specific shotguns by first inspecting them visually and by feel of function (is everything meshing, sliding, rotating without binding? Are alk the things aligned correctly?), and finally by zeroing the irons and optic, I assure that they function as expected, with the ammo they are fed. If all is well, then I don't spend 5 bazillion rounds proving what I already know. This is not an Ar15. There is one action spring weight. One bcg. One port size. Noone is guessing at combos or what works...we already know, and its the only system made for this platform.

Over the years, I have had a bunch of shotguns. Three that needed warranty service were a 1301, M4 and a 20 gauge M2, so even quality shotguns can have issues.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    I let Aberdeen, LAPD, and the USMC vet my choice of shotgun (Benelli m4). I vet my specific shotguns by first inspecting them visually and by feel of function (is everything meshing, sliding, rotating without binding? Are alk the things aligned correctly?), and finally by zeroing the irons and optic, I assure that they function as expected, with the ammo they are fed. If all is well, then I don't spend 5 bazillion rounds proving what I already know. This is not an Ar15. There is one action spring weight. One bcg. One port size. Noone is guessing at combos or what works...we already know, and its the only system made for this platform.
    The USMC also vetted the Serpa holster… I don’t know that I’d feel too warm and fuzzy about that particular appeal to authority.
    Last edited by Wheeler; 11-27-2021 at 08:52 AM.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Site Supporter
    I always chose 870s after department M500s demonstrated short service lives. A 1301T was recently added. I had an M1 S90 some time ago. (The 870 and 1301T beat the M1 S90 for reliability) For function I used 100-150 as a round count goal with LE focused slug and buck loads with an additional 100 rounds of low cost "training" #8 loads for some volume. This was not done all at once and usually took a few range trips. They were not cleaned or lubed between trips. (The 870's, regardless of vintage, almost always were harder to function with the crappy training loads but they got it done) The CoF used were mostly all LE qualification stuff out to 75 yds. Patterning with shot and zero with slugs was done along the way. This also let me shake out slings, lights etc.If the guns didn't have any issues they were disassembled and checked for loose fasteners/broken parts, undue wear etc. All of my guns are still low tech with iron sights and don't have RDS. Once good, they got cleaned out and were considered to be vetted.
    "Knowledge is good." Emil Faber, date unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    The USMC also vetted the Serpa holster… I don’t know that I’d feel too warm and fuzzy about that particular appeal to authority.
    Maybe, maybe not. Isn't the Serpa just a bad idea vs a poorly made product?
    If it holds up to duty use and does what it's intended to do then their only fault is failing to realize the product has a design flaw, not a construction flaw.

User Tag List