Page 42 of 152 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292142 ... LastLast

Thread: Outdoor Cooking (smoking, grilling, barbecuing, open spit, etc.)

Glad you checked out the Meat Church seasonings, I’ve enjoyed a few of them on beef, chicken and pork.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

I’m about 2-3 weeks out on my new grill/pit from being built and delivered and about the same for the bbq deck to be completed.

Little run down on the new set up.

Yoder 24x48” charcoal flat top with flat top stainless steel griddle add on for some smash burgers and veggies.

I should be able to smoke on this set up and do some killer reverse seat steaks with the adjustability.

Rambles some but a good look at the set up.

https://youtu.be/5j5_p0cR-ag

I did some whole wings last week, 250° F until 165 and then on a tray to the broiler to crisp. Took under 2 hours and the timing couldn't have been easier.

Since everyone is panic buying, I've only got a brisket flat going today. Mix of kosher salt, smoked paprika, and dehydrated soy sauce as a rub. Gonna pull at 160, wrap, and drive on.

Up for the week is a whole chicken from a friends farm and some more wings. Hoping on a work from home situation to pop up, then I'll get into some other stuff like pork loin and what not.

Also gonna get a batch of dough going. With BJJ closed down and potentially no work, my meals can take a little more time. Fresh pizza is actually low in calories and the Ooni is amazing, just not the quickest in a busy week.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by JM Campbell View Post
    https://youtu.be/y9kC1rCIDHg this will help with the crispy chicken wings.
    Interesting solution. I'll give that a shot. I wonder what temp he was at and if smoking at just 250 would still crisp up the corn starch.

Quote Originally Posted by JM Campbell View Post
    I’m about 2-3 weeks out on my new grill/pit from being built and delivered and about the same for the bbq deck to be completed.

Little run down on the new set up.

Yoder 24x48” charcoal flat top with flat top stainless steel griddle add on for some smash burgers and veggies.

I should be able to smoke on this set up and do some killer reverse seat steaks with the adjustability.

Rambles some but a good look at the set up.

https://youtu.be/5j5_p0cR-ag
    that thing is pretty sick!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Interesting solution. I'll give that a shot. I wonder what temp he was at and if smoking at just 250 would still crisp up the corn starch.
    He was at max temp using that vortex. >500 on his lid thermometer.
    Not sure this cornstarch technique would work well at smoking temps, but, would love to hear about your results if you try it.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    He was at max temp using that vortex. >500 on his lid thermometer.
    Not sure this cornstarch technique would work well at smoking temps, but, would love to hear about your results if you try it.
    It might be best to just use the same method I did yesterday but add the corn starch. I'll try that next time.

I don't know the temp at my fire-box grate but I know it's hot. The coals are maybe 1-1.5" below the top of the grate. Only question really is whether the corn starch will do it's thing in a pretty short time. Yesterday I left the wings on the fire-box grate for about 5 minutes a side and that was probably actually too long. Next time I'll probably do more like 2 minutes per side.

One tip that I saw somewhere that IMO did make them much better as well was cooking them "well done". I saw a guy mention that he likes his wings a little more well done and cooks them to 175 final temp, and I recalled that I too tend to prefer a more well-done wing. I pulled them from the smoke-box at ~165 and they were up to 175 by the time they were done searing.

Did beef & pork ribs on The Good-One Smoker yesterday. Wife made some fantastic potato salad and cheese rolls to go with, and an 80s style banana pudding (from scratch) with roasted sliced bananas and mini Nilla wafers ( it pictured) that was so damn good. She even made sweet sun tea but as you can tell we had other ideas about our supper beverages.

I’d never done beef ribs before. Pretty much just cooked them exactly the same as the St. Louis pork ribs but about 1.5 hours less, and they all came off right around 200 degrees. Put a different rub on the beef than the pork for no real reason. Plus I had the time today to not have to foil anything, just let ‘em cook through the stall at a constant 250 degrees in the smoke box.

Wrapped them in butcher paper when they were done and stuck them in a cooler until we were ready to eat instead of my usual wrap of aluminum foil. I had heard that using the paper kept the crust vs losing it like you can in foil. Totally worked!

Can’t wait for (leftovers for) lunch today! Probably have some of that sweet sun tea too!

Name:  IMG_1919.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  39.3 KB

Name:  IMG_1920.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  101.4 KB

Name:  IMG_1923.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  101.4 KB

Name:  IMG_1924 (Edited).jpg
Views: 257
Size:  76.1 KB

I’ll see your ribs...

And raise you a pork butt.

Anybody try Kingsford Long Burn? I'm a pretty strong advocate for briquettes (because of this), and use Kingsford Original exclusively, but I'm thinking about trying the long-burn in the future and wondered if anyone else had. No real complaints with my current situation, just thinking if it burns longer I can use less and have to keep less stockpiled around... More concerned with logistics than cost, really.

Not really looking to be "converted" back to lump, so we can save that argument.

User Tag List