Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Ever see tactics so bad you cringe?

The Apache radio station you can pick up around Chama is actually pretty cool to listen to, it has a "war chant" vibe to it that I can get into.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Tactics that impressed me:

I was at a large mall with my wife, as usual I was people watching in the corridor outside of the store she was spending money in (VS).
    I see a security courier (Garda) walking from the back office area of a mall store towards the central corridor with a cash bag.
    Medium build younger black guy, uniform was about two sizes too large but otherwise he was heads ups and walking with a purpose, cash bag in his off hand, gun hand relaxed right next to his holster.
    He had on a winter coat but his holster was properly exposed via the "gun slit" in the side of it.
    I thought "little sloppily dressed but that's on Garda, at least he's paying attention".
    Then he impressed me.
    He stopped just inside the store and very deliberately looked left and right down the corridor before stepping out into it, taking a few extra seconds to scan the "FootAction" store clientele that are always gathered there (there was a shooting here I talked about a year or two ago).
    Then when he stepped into the corridor he did something I initially thought was odd but then recognized it as a great tactic. He walked all the ways across the corridor and then turned right and walked down the corridor towards the exit.
    He was keeping the cash bag in his left hand between him and the wall to prevent someone from running down the corridor and easily snatching the cash bag out of his hand. He also frequently scanned his 6 and walked at a brisk pace.

Good job dude. I don't know if that's something they trained him to do or he learned via OJT but the guy was about as tactically sound as a lone cash courier can be.

edit: he also not only made direct eye contact with me (probably because I was watching him) but he also picked up on the same weirdo looking guy I was keeping an eye on (dude gave off more of a pedo vibe than a violent vibe, but was out of place enough to warrant some attention).
    Last edited by JodyH; 02-10-2019 at 09:27 AM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    The ATM discussion brings a couple questions to mind. What does one need cash for (why go to an ATM?) that the card used to get cash wont be able to purchase?
    Because cash is king

Some of you guys are either seriously paranoid or live in some seriously f-ed up towns or parts of town.

Some of the stuff some of y'all won't do at all or won't ever do without being armed is a serious laugh.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    The ATM discussion brings a couple questions to mind. What does one need cash for (why go to an ATM?) that the card used to get cash wont be able to purchase?
    There's a German butcher shop I frequent that didn't take cards until very recently, and now they will but there's a 3% fee to not pay cash. A know at least two gun stores that have a cash price and a card price.

I also buy things from online classifieds face-to-face in person. I know there's various ways to transfer money between individuals now, but none seem quite as simple as handing cash to them.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Because cash is king
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    There's a German butcher shop I frequent that didn't take cards until very recently, and now they will but there's a 3% fee to not pay cash. A know at least two gun stores that have a cash price and a card price.

I also buy things from online classifieds face-to-face in person. I know there's various ways to transfer money between individuals now, but none seem quite as simple as handing cash to them.

Yes, I understand all that, my point wasnt I use a card for everything, I use cash for most small stuff, but get it at the bank, during regular hours. My point was the card can usually take care of the stuff I use cash for if I run out due to poor planning or circumstances. Emergency backup cash in the gun safe (for convenience) or wallet not to be used for "convenience" due to poor planning is also present, but not used unless a true emergency. ATMs have never been part of my cash/card use planning. Making what many deem to be somewhat risky ventures to an ATM has been zero part of my exposure to potential crime. Obviously some cant get to a bank during regular hours, but Ive managed it.

Is this "never been to and never will go to an ATM" a regional thing? Like, if you live in the middle of nowhere?

I get it, needing to go to the ATM isn't as necessary now as it was 25 years ago. And I hear all the scare stories of muggings etc around them. But in nearly 53 years on earth, and probably after hundreds of times using ATMs all over the US and even in foreign countries my experiences are definitely different than what some here describe.

Am I that lucky? I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Is this "never been to and never will go to an ATM" a regional thing? Like, if you live in the middle of nowhere?

I get it, needing to go to the ATM isn't as necessary now as it was 25 years ago. And I hear all the scare stories of muggings etc around them. But in nearly 53 years on earth, and probably after hundreds of times using ATMs all over the US and even in foreign countries my experiences are definitely different than what some here describe.

Am I that lucky? I don't think so.
    I kind of live in the middle of nowhere. Ive not heard of anyone being accosted at an ATM statewide in the 30 years ive been where I am (not saying its never happened, but I havent heard of it, and many crimes of all sorts get reported statewide since they are uncommon), I just didnt care to pay the extra interest on an ATM withdrawal, then just figured theres no real reason to keep the PIN since I never used them and it couldnt be found/misused/strongarmed if it basically didnt exist so far as i knew.

Edit: closest thing I could find in a google search was somebody tried to steal an ATM machine from a gas station with a stolen backhoe in Cheyenne. Thats one place that it wouldnt surprise me if there were a robbery, but dont recall hearing of that sort. I live about a days drive from there in any event.
    Last edited by Malamute; 02-10-2019 at 06:26 PM.

I swear I just read the title of this thread as "Ever see tattoos so bad you cringe?". [emoji2]
    Last edited by O4L; 02-10-2019 at 06:28 PM.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Yes, I understand all that, my point wasnt I use a card for everything, I use cash for most small stuff, but get it at the bank, during regular hours. My point was the card can usually take care of the stuff I use cash for if I run out due to poor planning or circumstances. Emergency backup cash in the gun safe (for convenience) or wallet not to be used for "convenience" due to poor planning is also present, but not used unless a true emergency. ATMs have never been part of my cash/card use planning. Making what many deem to be somewhat risky ventures to an ATM has been zero part of my exposure to potential crime. Obviously some cant get to a bank during regular hours, but Ive managed it.
    USAA has no physical locations, other than their HQ in San Antonio. If I want cash, an ATM is the way to do it. One of the advantages of having worked robbery so long is knowing where the robberies happen. I use a drive-up ATM in the day time in locations that have literally never had a robbery. I've also used them quite a bit abroad, as it's a better exchange rate then the money changers. Situational awareness, having a second party with you as a lookout, and day time transactions in busier locations, then watch for someone following you.

Perhaps it's a risk, but a small one and one easily mitigated.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List