Page 95 of 114 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105 ... LastLast

Thread: RDS on a SemiAuto

If you shoot irons much faster, you have an opportunity to improve your dot shooting. A streak of the dot within the target area is sufficient for a lot of closer shooting, yet many people think they need to stop the dot as they would when shooting at long distances.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    If you shoot irons much faster, you have an opportunity to improve your dot shooting. A streak of the dot within the target area is sufficient for a lot of closer shooting, yet many people think they need to stop the dot as they would when shooting at long distances.
    I'll keep trying because eventually my eyesight will demand it in the future. After about 8000 rounds, I still haven't perfected the press out where the dots indexes into my line of sight. I don't see the dot during the press but I see the front sight and soooooo want to index off of that instead of the frame of the RDS. The RDS still kills the irons at longer shots for me. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    I'll keep trying because eventually my eyesight will demand it in the future. After about 8000 rounds, I still haven't perfected the press out where the dots indexes into my line of sight. I don't see the dot during the press but I see the front sight and soooooo want to index off of that instead of the frame of the RDS. The RDS still kills the irons at longer shots for me. Thanks.
    The press out is a circuitous route, that relyies on vision instead of index. As TPC often says, “be a human.”

Naturally point at a spot on the wall, and observe the path your finger takes. Try presenting the pistol that way, and see if you start indexing the dot better. Maybe remove your front sight while learning this, so it doesn’t distract you.

Tried out my new HS507 on the G17 today and also brushed off some rust--I haven't had time to shoot since early April because of my wife's health stuff (she's on the mend now, long story). Went to the indoor range with a few of my dad's friends. Observations so far:

This was my first time ever shooting a pistol with a red dot. It's a little different--it's much easier to see every little tremor. But it's also much easier to see the target. As in, I like to put small colored dots (the ones you'd use for prices at a yard sale) as targets, and at 7 yards with irons they're a faint blob of color when I'm seeing the front sight properly. A full-size silhouette at 25 yards is an indistinct blob, too.

I've found it a lot easier to call my shots and notice when I'm jerking the trigger or doing other bad things.

Even being out of practice, my slow fire at 7 and 25 yards is markedly improved--I can actually see the target, not a blob. At 25 yards with irons I'm covering most of a torso; with the RDS the shots were landing within a standard paper plate. Yes, I need work. But even so, that's the best I've ever done with a pistol at that range.

We ended the day with the usual friendly competition (winner gets free lunch). 5 rounds at 15 yards slow fire, 5 round at 7 yards in 6 sec from low ready. I did the timed portion in 4.5 seconds, 4 of the 5 shots within a 3 inch circle and one flier (knew it as soon as I shot that one). This was definitely better than the last time I did it with irons. I also won the day's round, for whatever it's worth

During the timed fire portion I definitely noticed the "streak of the dot within the target area" that GJM mentioned, and having read this thread before going I tried to take advantage of it. I think it helped.

tldr: RDS really improves my slow fire, helps me see the target, and may make some self-diagnosis easier
    "Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." - R. A. Heinlein

I've been using the RM06 for a few weeks now. I've been lucky, that during presentation i'm getting the dot pretty easily. During aiming, the shaking dot was messing with my mind, causing confidence issues that something was wrong with my grip. Then i turned the dot brightness up to the point of blooming, and it let me focus on the target instead of the dot. I've got a couple thousand dry-fires in now, in conjunction with the MantisX, and have found that I can reduce the brightness for a clearer dot, and I can see a finer target now. This re-learning how to shoot a handgun is HARD. it's also exciting, and demoralizing, and frustrating, and satisfying, all at the same time.

I don't get to the range very often so we'll see how the dry-fire campaign produces real results

Leupold called me today. They want to hang onto my four broken ones for more testing, and are sending me four brand new ones, which I said I would try to log rounds on, for their information.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Leupold called me today. They want to hang onto my four broken ones for more testing, and are sending me four brand new ones, which I said I would try to log rounds on, for their information.
    What all the red dot manufacturers dont know is that GJM microwaves the dots just to fuck with them. 🤣

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I assume that any red dot with an accelerometer will not wake up when you need it to most. I really don’t even count that as a failure mode anymore. What I count as a failure is when the dot loses zero, the dot becomes intermittent or the dot just plain dies.

As posted in another thread, my second Vortex Venom crapped out today. I also shot a RTS 2, RMS Shield and several DP Pro Optics. Neither the RTS 2 or Shield are bright enough for my liking in bright sun when going at warp speed. The DP Pro has excellent brightness.

And this ^^^^ is why I'm waiting until either the next-gen MRDS's come out and get proven, or my eyesight get's to a point that I have no choice (currently no corrective eyewear). I tried the RMR on a 19mos, and didn't care for the small window/disappearing dot. Nothing else seems to stand up to the abuse though.

I love the theory, and subscribe to all the benefits, but I dislike the current hardware choices. If and when that new ultimate MRDS comes out, I'll look to have my Wilson commander milled, and probably a glock or two. I'd even like one on a 43 (is that a thing yet?)

Thank you @GJM for sharing your experience. I don't get to say this often on PF, but I believe you continue to save me money in this regard.
    Last edited by StraitR; 05-11-2018 at 08:13 PM.

User Tag List