Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reload technique in idpa

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Oh, man, oh Lady, Beretta is about as far out on the Big Butt curve as you can get with a popular pistol....
    Yep a 92 is far from ideal for idpa but we a more or less stuck w/ them. 25 or so years ago we got our first pistol for HD. A Ruger full size in decock only configuration. For what ever reason we were never happy w/ our results so each time I went to the indoor range to practice I would also rent one of their guns. 4-5 trips later I rented a 92 and suddenly I could hit. Next time my wife was w/ me and we rented the 92 again. Same for her. This range was also a gun store and they dealt w/ a lot of the local police departments. A month or so later they had a used police trade-in 92f so I grabbed it. We both enjoyed shooting it and then I got an Elite II, and then she got an Elite II. 5 years ago I started idpa and that DA first shot was definitely a hindrance. But I got a lot of Langdon parts and made it a LOT better. We have nine 92s now and many, many mags and parts. So basically we are not changing and I like competing w/ the same gun we would use defensively. BTW her gun is that EII she bought back around 2000. She has many times mentioned to people in conversation that she has her own 92. She is quite proud of that.
    Thanks again to everyone who has posted here. You guys are really a big help.

I think that degree of involvement is worth learning a reload or altering the gun.
    At least SSP-15 puts the reload later in the stage.

My protege went 'round and 'round with this and that but is now a settled Glocker. Bless her heart.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    Yep a 92 is far from ideal for idpa ...
    Tell me more...

Name:  220px-Gene_Wilder_as_Willy_Wonka.jpeg
Views: 234
Size:  13.7 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    Tell me more...

Name:  220px-Gene_Wilder_as_Willy_Wonka.jpeg
Views: 234
Size:  13.7 KB
    My thoughts exactly. I’d say that a 92 that’s properly set up is on the short list of guns that are nearly ideal for IDPA.

Well, that's what E. Langdon says.

It seems to me that the thread title is really “struggles with reloads using a beretta 92” as I’ve not seen anything here that makes this a specifically IDPA issue, other than the fact that it was discovered while shooting IDPA?

On the one hand, I can appreciate a woman being set on the gun she wants. My wife shoots a beretta a30 Outlander in sporting clays. I am in no itching hurry to spend Soren money, but I bet she’d do better with a different gun. But I’m also unable to convince her to try.

On the other hand, one might consider the challenges she’s facing to be “a clue”. One benefit of competition is that you get to vet your gear. I wouldn’t (necessarily) go shoot a few matches and dump my carry gun of choice based on the scores, but if I discovered a struggle with basic manipulation it would certainly give me pause.

If nothing else (if IDPA is gonna be your game of choice, where reloads are pretty much a given) being able to reliably and consistently perform a reload without a bunch of falderal seems to me to be kind of a critical aspect. Even if you’re of the “nobody reloads in a gunfight” mindset (which is fine), you, and she, have chosen to play a game that pretty much guarantees it.

FWIW I used to think it mattered to compete with the carry gun. And I still think that, if one is disinclined to reach a level of subconscious competence (SC) with their shooting and gunhandling. However, if one IS willing to reach, or has reached, the point of SC then I don’t think it matters one bit. And in fact, should one reach the point of SC, I think it’s a detriment to both defense and competition as one may become inclined to make adjustments that reduce the effectiveness of both while trying to achieve the unachievable (perfect gun, holster, and pouches for both competition and carry).

Caveat: I shot IDPA a lot, for a long time, a long time ago. I haven’t the foggiest idea what the current rules are. I ASS-u-me that reloads are still a big part of it but could be way off.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    It seems to me that the thread title is really “struggles with reloads using a beretta 92” as I’ve not seen anything here that makes this a specifically IDPA issue, other than the fact that it was discovered while shooting IDPA?

On the one hand, I can appreciate a woman being set on the gun she wants. My wife shoots a beretta a30 Outlander in sporting clays. I am in no itching hurry to spend Soren money, but I bet she’d do better with a different gun. But I’m also unable to convince her to try.

On the other hand, one might consider the challenges she’s facing to be “a clue”. One benefit of competition is that you get to vet your gear. I wouldn’t (necessarily) go shoot a few matches and dump my carry gun of choice based on the scores, but if I discovered a struggle with basic manipulation it would certainly give me pause.

If nothing else (if IDPA is gonna be your game of choice, where reloads are pretty much a given) being able to reliably and consistently perform a reload without a bunch of falderal seems to me to be kind of a critical aspect. Even if you’re of the “nobody reloads in a gunfight” mindset (which is fine), you, and she, have chosen to play a game that pretty much guarantees it.

FWIW I used to think it mattered to compete with the carry gun. And I still think that, if one is disinclined to reach a level of subconscious competence (SC) with their shooting and gunhandling. However, if one IS willing to reach, or has reached, the point of SC then I don’t think it matters one bit. And in fact, should one reach the point of SC, I think it’s a detriment to both defense and competition as one may become inclined to make adjustments that reduce the effectiveness of both while trying to achieve the unachievable (perfect gun, holster, and pouches for both competition and carry).

Caveat: I shot IDPA a lot, for a long time, a long time ago. I haven’t the foggiest idea what the current rules are. I ASS-u-me that reloads are still a big part of it but could be way off.

IDPA thread drift: with the rules that went into effect 1 Jun 22, SSP now loads 15 in all mags. The max stage round count is still 18, so reloads will still happen, but not quite as often. As a data point (probably an outlier), at last week’s local match, my son (shooting SSP) did not have to reload on any of the 4 stages. I (shooting CO) had to reload on 3 of them. Those 3 were stages that could be shot “clean” (no makeup shots) with 16 rds.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    IDPA thread drift: with the rules that went into effect 1 Jun 22, SSP now loads 15 in all mags. The max stage round count is still 18, so reloads will still happen, but not quite as often. As a data point (probably an outlier), at last week’s local match, my son (shooting SSP) did not have to reload on any of the 4 stages. I (shooting CO) had to reload on 3 of them. Those 3 were stages that could be shot “clean” (no makeup shots) with 16 rds.
    Thanks!

that does seem relevant to the thread as-titled (reloads in IDPA) as that would seem to change the reloads from "pretty much every stage" to "maybe less than half".
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Not around here.
    MDs are using downloaded starts and 17-18 round counts to make SSP-15 reload, too.
    There have been being one or two stages per match at 16 or less. And most of those have movers or distant steel to make it difficult to get out without a reload.

I tried it but have gone back to 10+1 ESP or sub-caliber where I know what to do without having to count out every POC.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Not around here.
    MDs are using downloaded starts and 17-18 round counts to make SSP-15 reload, too.
    There have been being one or two stages per match at 16 or less. And most of those have movers or distant steel to make it difficult to get out without a reload.

I tried it but have gone back to 10+1 ESP or sub-caliber where I know what to do without having to count out every POC.
    I kinda figured that would be the case.

IMO reloads were always part of the fun of IDPA, but it seems most don't agree with that sentiment.

User Tag List