Page 6 of 194 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Thread: Minneapolis PD Suspect Dies On Video While Handcuffed. FBI Investigating.

Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    Can someone explain why there was a need to kneel on the guy’s neck since he was already cuffed and on his stomach?
    I can’t think of an explanation that I’d consider reasonable. I’ve been through two police academies and was taught in both of them not to kneel directly on a subject’s neck or spine. I ESPECIALLY can’t think of a reasonable explanation for why the officer continued to kneel on the subject’s neck for several minutes after the subject appeared to lose consciousness and become unresponsive. Even if this turns out to be an excited delirium death that couldn’t have been avoided had the officers done everything right, the guy who kneeled on the subject’s neck sealed all their fates.
    Last edited by WobblyPossum; 05-26-2020 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Spelling

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    Can someone explain why there was a need to kneel on the guy’s neck since he was already cuffed and on his stomach?
    No, and that's the issue. Once he's under control he shouldn't be on his stomach. He should be on his side or sitting up. I was taught that as the "recovery position" way back 90's in EMT training, and repeatedly as a police officer. This is not new or cutting edge, it's well known.

This guy isn't still fighting. He doesn't need to be held down. He needs to be sat up. If he does need restrained, as noted up thread there are ways to do it that don't exacerbate excited delirium or positional asphyxiation.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

The knee on the neck looks bad, probably is bad and is fairly unnecessary (from the limited information we can glean from the video) given the situation. But was probably (admittedly a WAG) not the cause of death and in a otherwise healthy person without any substances on board (not saying the decedent had anything in his system) would most likely result in a really jacked up neck and given the length of application a fairly solid basis for a complaint of excessive force.

I would put forth that being proned out while over exerting hisself with limited chest rise and fall not allowing for proper gas exchange (respiration) killed him. The knee on his neck didn’t help, and like all uses of force looks ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    Got it, thanks. Will be listening in.
    (Tornado hasn't happened so far, thankfully.)
    Be safe!

………………….
    Last edited by Robert Mitchum; 05-26-2020 at 11:55 PM.

Coming from a very ignorant understanding (and i apologise for my ignorance in advance) - I am just wondering - if the officer kneeling on the suspects neck was a superior officer, what should have the other officers done in this scenario?

At what time is someone supposed to go against or pull up their superior officer, and how does someone go about doing that? Especially if the superior was unwilling to change their action or had just given the others a rip recently for not backing him? (I'm not saying that's the scenario - just trying to gain an understanding of how other junior police are supposed to respond in a situation like this)?

I am coming from an ignorant position - but from this ignorant position - it almost seems like you're damned if you do / damned if you don't if your a junior and your senior does something like this?

Could be as easy as “hey boss, let me give you a hand with this guy” or “he’s not looking too good, let’s sit him up” or “remember that article about excited delirium?” or “get the fuck off him and go take a breather”. Big boy rules apply.

Quote Originally Posted by -ad- View Post
    Coming from a very ignorant understanding (and i apologise for my ignorance in advance) - I am just wondering - if the officer kneeling on the suspects neck was a superior officer, what should have the other officers done in this scenario?

At what time is someone supposed to go against or pull up their superior officer, and how does someone go about doing that? Especially if the superior was unwilling to change their action or had just given the others a rip recently for not backing him? (I'm not saying that's the scenario - just trying to gain an understanding of how other junior police are supposed to respond in a situation like this)?

I am coming from an ignorant position - but from this ignorant position - it almost seems like you're damned if you do / damned if you don't if your a junior and your senior does something like this?
    One of the other officers shoukd have gone up to him, patted him on the shoulder and quietly said something like " bro, he is done, you need to get off his neck because this looks really bad right now". Then you go into first aid/ SIDS procedure.

I have been the guy on both sides of that conversation and its never been a damned if you do issue, its just been one person seeing things a little bit clearer than the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I agree that what can be perceived as "minor calls" can often turn into something else. For example, I once almost shot a guy over what started as a "Barking Dog Complaint" call.

However...

I can't help but think there are squared away police trainers all over the country watching this video and yelling "What the fuck are you DOING?!" at the screen.
    Dude, there are screwed up, case law misinterpreting, sacks of waste in a uniform, retired on duty, police instructors all over the country yelling, "What the fuck are you doing?!"

This reminds me of the Rodney King incident when I was getting started in the business. There's just no good way to explain this or justify it. The average taxpayer sees this and thinks, "The police just murdered that guy for no reason!" God Help Us All in the conflagration to come. I'm waiting for my gas mask order to go through so I can issue them to all personnel with the new helmets. I am far across the country from Minneapolis and have a feeling we are going to be sending Mobile Field Forces to nearby counties.

Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post
    Dude, there are screwed up, case law misinterpreting, sacks of waste in a uniform, retired on duty, police instructors all over the country yelling, "What the fuck are you doing?!"

This reminds me of the Rodney King incident when I was getting started in the business. There's just no good way to explain this or justify it. The average taxpayer sees this and thinks, "The police just murdered that guy for no reason!" God Help Us All in the conflagration to come. I'm waiting for my gas mask order to go through so I can issue them to all personnel with the new helmets. I am far across the country from Minneapolis and have a feeling we are going to be sending Mobile Field Forces to nearby counties.
    Undoubtedly. Be safe.

Protests have already begun here in Chicago - https://www.fox32chicago.com/news/cr...wn-communities

User Tag List