Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: EDC/light hiking Shoes for duck feet

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I found them challenging initially as well, but my feet grew used to the LP 4.5s and now I love them. I wonder if weight is an issue. At only 150lbs, maybe I can get away with less rock protection?

That's disappointing about the other Altras.
    I'm currently 180 lbs (5'8" tall]. With the LP 4.5s I had to really watch my foot placement on trails with lots of rock and roots, which is the majority of my favorite trails. Once I swapped the insole it was like I was wearing a completely different shoe. The LP 5s have been good out of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    Re the Altra Escalante: The 1 and 1.5 versions were strange. Zero lateral stability, lots of stretch in the upper, and very cushy. They were OK for slow easy runs on pavement, but not secure at all for speed or transitions.

The 2.0s are a different animal. Much tighter upper and some additional stiffness in the sole. They are my go to road shoe. Haven't tried the 2.5s.

My main complaint with Altra is the crazy changes from one generation to another.

I tried a few Topo shoes and they always felt incredibly unstable for me. At the time I was looking for a trail shoe to use in ruck training. Landed on the LP 4.0 and Terra Kigers.

ETA: my weekly run mileage is 10-30 miles, and I'm ~165lbs FWIW.
    I'm happy to hear that they improved the Escalantes.
    The Topo Phantoms were one of my favorite road shoes. The older Gen TerraVenturas were my go to trail shoe until I moved to the Lone Peaks. I've never run with them carrying any weight though.

I agree about Altra's changes from generation to generation. If I really like one of their models I grab extra pairs when they release the next gen. I got a couple of pairs of the LP 4.5s for $60 when the LP 5s were released.
    Last edited by Crashpad; 07-13-2021 at 06:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crashpad View Post
    I own or have owned the Escalante (1.5 I think), Torin (4.5 and 4.5 Plush) and Lone Peaks (2, 4.5 and 5s). The Escalantes were horrible. They didn't last long before wearing out and I'm used to replacing shoes every three months or so. I think they made it six weeks before falling apart.
    Unlike other shoes with a woven upper they let my feet slide around on the lower way too much. Even when I regulated them to weekend walking around town duty they were borderline dangerous.

The Torins are nice. If you like a lot of cushion try the 4.5 Plush. If you run a lot and don't have feet issues the Plush might be a bit too soft.

I hated the first Lone Peaks I had and gave them away. I hated the 4.5s until I put an insole in that added a little rock protection. After five miles either trail running or hiking my feet would really take a beating. After adding the insoles I can go twenty miles easy with no discomfort.
    The 5s I've only had for a couple of months and have only been worn while my 4.5s are drying out but with the changes Altra made I haven't had to add an aftermarket insole to them.

I personally really like some of Topo's models. https://www.topoathletic.com/
    I think they do a good job of finding the balance between performance and durability and they offer low drop models (3mm-5mm) if one isn't ready for zero drop or is easing into it.

I currently run between twenty and one hundred miles a week, ninety percent of which is on dirt. Until recently I was running twice to three times as much but have dialed it back to prevent unnecessary injury and wear and tear on my knees and feet.
    What insole did you use/like?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by dsa View Post
    What insole did you use/like?
    I put a Fleet Feet branded Superfeet orange insole in the Lone Peak 4.5s. We were in Huntsville for a weekend and I went into their store near Monte Sano State Park looking for another pair of shoes. One of the employees had the same complaints about the LP 4.5s and recommended those insoles. They don't add too much cushion but do add a little more rock protection which was all that I needed.

I put a Fleet Feet branded Superfeet orange insole in the Lone Peak 4.5s. We were in Huntsville for a weekend and I went into their store near Monte Sano State Park looking for another pair of shoes. One of the employees had the same complaints about the LP 4.5s and recommended those insoles. They don't add too much cushion but do add a little more rock protection which was all that I needed.
    Thanks!

Altra has a removable rock plate that comes with the Superior trail shoes. I've used it in my LPs (both mids and lows) when packing heavier weight. Seems to distribute the load more evenly and eliminates some of the "squish" when rucking.

Altra Lone Peak, looks like they are up to 5 now? Thoughts?

I at least don't find the appearance totally offensive...

https://www.zappos.com/p/altra-footw...ainlowerfunnel
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I at least don't find the appearance totally offensive...

https://www.zappos.com/p/altra-footw...ainlowerfunnel
    You sure?

Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    You sure?

goes with the hat...

Name:  customLogo.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  26.0 KB
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    rob s
    you do not have a hair on your ... if you do not end up with some yellow/yellow accented shoes.

https://www.hokaoneone.com/womens-wa...572_color=CLMB
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

I am a fan of the Lone Peaks; have both the 4.5 & non Gortex mids. Damn comfortable. As mentioned in another thread, I ruck a lot, like 30 miles a week, with 60-180 pound loads. Plus I'm 190#. So I'm hard on shoes.

But there are downsides;
    - I get less than 300 miles on the soles before the tread is worn smooth. Current pair is at ~120 miles, and tread is half gone.
    - Minimal cushion means that concrete and hard surfaces are brutal on the feet over longer (15+ miles) distances.
    - Off concrete on rocky trails, they allow rocks to bruise your feet.
    - Easy to stub a toe or have cactus penetrate from all angles.

User Tag List