Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you like or hate about (insert brand)'s AR?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    A forged AR15 lower is essentially a block of high grade aluminum that is super heated, and then hammered into the rough shape of a lower receiver. The forging process hammers the molecules of the aluminum together, thus making it stronger.

The forging in the rough shape of a lower receiver is then machined to the final dimensions of the finished receiver.
    I was misinformed and been living with that information as fact for way too long then. Thank you for the clarification.

If it's hammered how does it have seams on it?

Quote Originally Posted by mrozowjj View Post
    I was misinformed and been living with that information as fact for way too long then. Thank you for the clarification.

they're hammered into the rough shape by a die
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter

The superheated block is placed in a 2 part, clamshell type die which has the shape of the AR Lower forging and is then hit by the industrial hammer.

Sort of like putting a lump of ground beef into a hamburger press.

The seams are the aluminum squished into the seam between the two halves of the die by the force of the hammer.

I’m sure one of our resident engineers could explain it better.

Last edited by HCM; 08-06-2020 at 12:01 PM.

I believe that those "seams" are also referred to as "flash". It comes from any excess material that is squeezed out during the pressing/forming/forging process. The end product needs to then be finished by cutting that part out, etc. This is only speculation though. I know only about forging through premium golf clubs. Mizuno has mastered the art of forging for golf clubs (vs. other company's cast). Here is a video. I'm sure there are others out there too.

ETA - any mentions of softness or soft feel in the video is a byproduct of the steel Mizuno uses and and lack of vibration during impact that golfers want. Forged aluminum receivers are not "softer" than others is what I am trying to say.

https://youtu.be/Uy4vTej97b8
    Last edited by Cool Breeze; 08-06-2020 at 01:07 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    A forged AR15 lower is essentially a block of high grade aluminum that is super heated, and then hammered into the rough shape of a lower receiver. The forging process hammers the molecules of the aluminum together, thus making it stronger.
    Since we’re trying to spread knowledge and correct misunderstandings: The blocks of metal are not super heated. They are merely heated to the appropriate temperature range. Forgings are stronger because of (mainly) grain flow and size, not because the molecules are hammered together. There are no molecules of Aluminum, they are atoms.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    I believe that those "seams" are also referred to as "flash". It comes from any excess material that is squeezed out during the pressing/forming/forging process. The end product needs to then be finished by cutting that part out, etc. This is only speculation though. I know only about forging through premium golf clubs. Mizuno has mastered the art of forging for golf clubs (vs. other company's cast). Here is a video. I'm sure there are others out there too.

ETA - any mentions of softness or soft feel in the video is a byproduct of the steel Mizuno uses and and lack of vibration during impact that golfers want. Forged aluminum receivers are not "softer" than others is what I am trying to say.

https://youtu.be/Uy4vTej97b8
    This is a good video

Was able to find a complete BCM lower relatively locally. It took 2 days for the background check to go through. I was entered in queue as #750+ in line. I am pretty happy with the experience. I wanted to get something relatively quickly (just because I guess). I called Sionics to confirm lead times and they said even though they are posting 10 to 14 days, its really like 4 weeks. BCM seems like a known quantity for quality, so that gives me piece of mind. I am unaware of any major or consistent incidents with them.

Additionally, since its just a lower, if I make it a pistol first, I'll have the flexibility to do what I want with it. So now I am on the hunt for an upper (or 2). One of them is going to be 14.5in or below - I think I could be jonesing for 12.5 (not sure yet)! I also need to figure out if I want an SBA3 or SBA4 brace.

I appreciate all of the help so far. Thank you.

BCM 11.5 Upper in stock. Doesn’t include BCG or CH

https://www.gandrtactical.com/BCM-MK...OK_p_1399.html

BCM 14.5 BFH Upper in stock. Doesn’t include BCG or CH but you can choose them as a package if you order directly from BCM.

https://bravocompanyusa.com/bcm-mk2-...-13-handguard/

BCM BCG

https://bravocompanyusa.com/bcm-bolt...roup-mpi-auto/

BCM Charging handles, take your pick. I did t care for their ambi CHs so I returned the. For the Mod 4s. I’ve heard good things about Radian CHs but have no experience with them.

BCM ain't letting COVID slow them down either, I ordered a Quad rail on Tuesday and I installed it about an hour ago.

Site Supporter
    @Cool Breeze

Brownells and G&R tactical both have Colt 6933 uppers in stock. They’re 11.5, but if your doing a pistol short is kinda cool. You can use code TAG to get 15.00 off the upper from Brownells and they’re on sale currently @ 529.00

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...prod69545.aspx

https://www.gandrtactical.com/Colt-L...el_p_1401.html

ETA: mine came in from Brownells today, kinda stoked.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

User Tag List