Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: 40S&W making a comeback

This forum is generally critical of S&W M&P 9 accuracy and also of .40 S&W in general.

The S&W M&P has a reputation for decent durability with .40S&W, and in general as a soft shooter, and the .40 S&W versions are not plagued by the 9mm versions accuracy issues.

Is the M&P the gun that may be a better choice in .40S&W than in 9mm? For instance, for somebody that really likes the feature set on the M&P, but is concerned about potential accuracy issues with the 9mm versions, would they be better off choosing the M&P in .40S&W?

I haven't been to my local GS recently but last time I did notice a dearth of 40's under the glass. The 40 will remain a fine game caliber for USPSA limited and single stack. Personally waiting for the long anticipated comeback of the .38 Super Auto.... Which is my favorite non-9 x 19 pistol cartridge.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    This forum is generally critical of S&W M&P 9 accuracy and also of .40 S&W in general.

The S&W M&P has a reputation for decent durability with .40S&W, and in general as a soft shooter, and the .40 S&W versions are not plagued by the 9mm versions accuracy issues.

Is the M&P the gun that may be a better choice in .40S&W than in 9mm? For instance, for somebody that really likes the feature set on the M&P, but is concerned about potential accuracy issues with the 9mm versions, would they be better off choosing the M&P in .40S&W?
    M&P9 accuracy issues were resolved toward the end of the 1.0 production run. Current production ones (2.0) are said to be pretty accurate. I haven't shot a 2.0 in 9x19 so I'm only repeating what I've read. I can vouch for the accuracy of the 1.0s in .40 and .45, the ones I have are excellent.

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    M&P9 accuracy issues were resolved toward the end of the 1.0 production run. Current production ones (2.0) are said to be pretty accurate. I haven't shot a 2.0 in 9x19 so I'm only repeating what I've read. I can vouch for the accuracy of the 1.0s in .40 and .45, the ones I have are excellent.
    My 2.0 Compact 9mm is a laser.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

All this crazy talk of SIG LE trade ins...

So, hypothetically, is a 229 a solid vehicle for .40? Or is the 226 a better bet?

I can’t say the .40 cal is making a comeback, and I’m not a real fan of the round, but as was stated earlier, you can’t argue with USP’s in the $350-400 range..

Quote Originally Posted by fly out View Post
    All this crazy talk of SIG LE trade ins...

So, hypothetically, is a 229 a solid vehicle for .40? Or is the 226 a better bet?
    Arguably the P229 is the better platform for .40S&W as it was originally designed to handle .40S&W. It’s basically a beefier upgraded P228. Not that a P226 can’t handle it, I’m sure it can just fine, but you’ll probably get a bit more life out of a P229.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    In general, you could scoop a used 1.0 in 9mm and do some accuracy testing. If it sucks, do Apex’s match grade barrel and drive on. Unsure if the 2.0s exhibit the same issues or not, but I’ve heard a few grumblings, but nothing I can substantiate.

If I happened across a 1.0 or 2.0 used in .40S&W or .45Auto at an insane price, and I had the cash for one, I’d be tempted to scoop it if in decent condition. The .40 with a thumb safety would be a great field pistol. The .45 with a thumb safety is basically a poor man’s polymer 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by fly out View Post
    ..So, hypothetically, is a 229 a solid vehicle for .40?
    Not hypothetical, I own a pair of the police trade in's I got about 3 years ago, and it is a very appropriate vehicle for the .40, probably in a tie with the full size USP for the best .40 service pistol imo. I am saying that having owned an M&P40, every size of .40 Glock, a .40 BHP, a .40 converted Colt Delta elite, and Beretta 96 in the past. I owned a .40 P226 back around the turn of the century but I don't remember enough about it to compare it to a P229, sold that one back about 2003. The only two service gun .40's I kept in the stable are the P229 and the USP LEM.
    Last edited by fatdog; 11-13-2019 at 08:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    In general, you could scoop a used 1.0 in 9mm and do some accuracy testing. If it sucks, do Apex’s match grade barrel and drive on. Unsure if the 2.0s exhibit the same issues or not, but I’ve heard a few grumblings, but nothing I can substantiate.

If I happened across a 1.0 or 2.0 used in .40S&W or .45Auto at an insane price, and I had the cash for one, I’d be tempted to scoop it if in decent condition. The .40 with a thumb safety would be a great field pistol. The .45 with a thumb safety is basically a poor man’s polymer 1911.
    I grabbed a police trade-in M&P45 full size for $229.00! Solid gun, fun to shoot.

User Tag List