Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to make dummy rounds out of live rounds?

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    What's so bad about the ammo?
    Doesn't feed in my KAC SR-30 upper and pops primers. Five other brands / six different loads are doing great.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Doesn't feed in my KAC SR-30 upper and pops primers. Five other brands / six different loads are doing great.
    Yeah, If it's popping primers it's junk. The brass has probably been fired with high pressure loads that enlarged the primer pockets. Might be best to pull the bullets and junk any leftover brass that you don't make into dummy rounds.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    It’s actually not a big deal. You can press them in by hand and use pliers or glue. The actual dummy rounds I buy often fall apart with continued use and I press them back in.

You don’t need to crimp because you’re not firing or even chambering them, correct?

Because having a primer that may or may not be deactivated in the chamber with powder isn’t a great idea.

It’s kind of baffling to me that you “don’t have time” and are looking to make a dummy out of these. @HCM

You know what I’ve done in that situation that takes ZERO time?

I put the cartridges backwards in the magazine.

Same weight. And no risk of bang.

Top off with a Rogers racking aid and a chamber flag.
    I’ve seen enough things go wrong that I wouldn’t want to mix live cartridges with things that require dummy, rounds, backwards, or not. Plus, the ability to cycle through the action is one of the benefits of dummy rounds.

If YBK is not a reloadr, the simple solution would be to find someone who is and pay or barter with them to make the dummy rounds for you.

For homemade dummy rounds, people have mentioned, feeling the primer cup with epoxy or silicone caulk.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I’ve seen enough things go wrong that I wouldn’t want to mix live cartridges with things that require dummy, rounds, backwards, or not. Plus, the ability to cycle through the action is one of the benefits of dummy rounds.

If YBK is not a reloadr, the simple solution would be to find someone who is and pay or barter with them to make the dummy rounds for you.

For homemade dummy rounds, people have mentioned, feeling the primer cup with epoxy or silicone caulk.
    I took it at face value for what he said regarding just wanting magazine weights, not something that would go in the chamber.

I don’t think anyone would recommend a non-disassembled live round in the chamber as a dummy round surrogate as per the original request.

He said these rounds don’t chamber so I’m assuming he’s not looking to chamber them.

Like I said. My first solution was tungsten putty in a springless mag for a pure weight.

I’m not a reloader and I just buy caulked dummy rounds.

Flipping rounds would be the lazy man solution for someone who doesn’t have time to make the rounds safe and too cheap to buy pre made dummy rounds.

EDIT: I really, really think that pulling 300 blk would be easy due to the weight of the bullet and the size of the neck.

Not sure what the case tolerances are but if I were going to do it, I’d make my own inertia puller and then shoot the primed case then push the bullet in with some glue.

Might just do it for proof of concept.
    Last edited by JCN; 11-13-2022 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Probably 50 or so.

This isn't a huge issue. I presume I can try judt shooting them, for every one in 3-5 rounds malfunction clearance practice. And learning how to get popped primers out of lower.
    @SecondsCount has offered some help, he is an experienced reloader.
    I'm an experienced reloader, too, but you need an experienced DELOADER. 😁

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    What's so bad about the ammo?

And I don't think there's a safe way to do what you propose. At some time, you're going to get an unexpected bang.

Kind of reminds me of the time I tried to seat the primers deeper in some factory ammo.
    @JM Campbell had some serious issues with Freedom 300 Blk ammo se real years back.

Just part of why Freedom munitions is on my NFE list..

Here is what I would do-

Pull the bullets with an RCBS collet based puller. 50 rounds would take about 5 minutes.

Dump the powder out on the lawn, it makes for good fertilizer from what I have read.

After that- If you want to turn them into dummies, you can, or recharge them with the correct powder charge and re-seat the bullet.

For dummies-

Using a Lee decapping die, I would press out the live primer.

I have a polymer material that works good for snap cap duty. I punch out discs and press it into the case, in place of primers.

Fill up the case with cornmeal or similar... just enough so there is something to support the bullets and prevent setback.

Seat the bullets back into the case.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Yeah

This looks so trivial with 300 blk.
    Last edited by JCN; 11-13-2022 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post

I have a polymer material that works good for snap cap duty. I punch out discs and press it into the case, in place of primers.
    I would like to know more about that...

Adding some inert filler in the cases to prevent setback is also a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post

This looks so trivial with 300 blk.
    That's an idea but you will need to resize the neck after doing it that way, which means you will need 300 BLK dies.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

User Tag List