Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 9 mm 147 gr duty load testing

9 mm 147 gr duty load testing

All three loads tested in this event offer acceptable terminal performance for LE duty use. The Federal HST, like the Winchester Ranger Talon and Speer Gold Dot, offers a bit more expansion and slightly less penetration, a possible advantage for municipal LE agencies patrolling urban or crowded suburban environments. Like Hornady Critical Duty, the Speer G2, and Winchester bonded loads penetrate a bit deeper, but have less expansion than HST and might offer an advantage for agencies with a significant number of engagements around vehicles or for rural agencies where larger animals are a potential threat.

It is strongly recommended that LE agencies approve at least two similar loads from different manufacturers, to help ensure a consistent supply of ammunition in times of scarcity. In other words, if an agency adopts HST, it would be prudent to also approve a load with similar terminal performance, like Ranger Talon or loads using Barnes Tac-XP projectiles; alternatively, if an agency adopted Speer G2, it would be smart to also authorize Hornady Critical Duty or Winchester bonded loads, as they will perform in like fashion.

Vyse Type 250 A ordnance gelatin was mixed into 8” x 12” x 20” blocks of 10% concentration and stored at 4 deg. All gel was validated with a standard .177 inch BB fired into the blocks with a velocity of 590 f/s +/- 15 f/s, with an ideal range of penetration defined as 8.5 cm +/- 1.0 cm of penetration (although up to +/- 1.5 cm was considered acceptable). In this test, five rounds of each handgun ammunition type were fired into the blocks of validated ordnance gelatin from a range of ten feet. Shots were made into bare gelatin, gelatin covered with 4 layers of denim (IWBA protocol), and through laminated automobile windshield glass angled at 45 degrees, placed 18 inches in front of the gelatin block. All test shots were conducted using a 9 mm Glock 19 with OEM barrel.

9 mm Fed 147 gr HST had an average velocity of 1017 fps
    9 mm Speer 147 gr G2 had an average velocity of 987 fps
    9 mm Win 147 gr RA9B had an average velocity of 992 fps

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9 mm Fed 147 gr HST BG: Pen = 13.8”, RD = 0.66”, RL = 0.35”, RW = 148.4 gr
    9 mm Speer 147 gr G2 BG: Pen = 16.4”, RD = 0.48”, RL = 0.44”, RW = 146.6 gr
    9 mm Win 147 gr RA9B BG: Pen = 15.5”, RD = 0.52”, RL = 0.44”, RW = 146.9 gr

Recovered from BG--Top row is Speer 147 gr G2 PT, Far right is Fed 147 gr HST control round, Bottom row is Winchester 147 gr RA9B JHP

Comparison in BG: Top is Win RA9B, middle is Speer G2, bottom is HST

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9 mm Fed 147 gr HST 4LD: Pen = 15.5”, RD = 0.52”, RL = 0.53”, RW = 148.5 gr
    9 mm Speer 147 gr G2 4LD: Pen = 17.4”, RD = 0.49”, RL = 0.45”, RW = 145.6 gr
    9 mm Win 147 gr RA9B 4LD: Pen = 19.4”, RD = 0.46”, RL = 0.49”, RW = 146.6 gr

Recovered from 4LD--Top row is Speer 147 gr G2 PT, Far right is Fed 147 gr HST control round, Bottom row is Winchester 147 gr RA9B JHP

9 mm Fed 147 gr HST AG: Pen = 12.5”, RD = 0.51”, RL = 0.54”, RW = 146.2 gr
    9 mm Speer 147 gr G2 AG: Pen = 15.7”, RD = 0.51”, RL = 0.49”, RW = 145.0 gr 9 mm
    Win 147 gr RA9B AG: Pen = 16.3”, RD = 0.53”, RL = 0.46”, RW = 146.1 gr

Recovered from AG--Top row is Speer 147 gr G2 PT, Far right is Fed 147 gr HST control round, Bottom row is Winchester 147 gr RA9B JHP
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Doc GKR thanks for posting this.
    Were the HST current production with the shallower skiving?

Thanks Doc! I too would be interested in knowing if the HSTs tested were new(new style bullets) or old lots. I have ran both new and old lots of 147gr HSTs through 3 different Sig P226s and the velocities show consistency between the guns, but the new lots of HSTs are considerably slower. Old lots were giving me velocity averages of around 1000fps, but the new lots are giving me velocity averages around 955fps. Sure I know there are differences in geographical locations, and Glock barrels vs Sig barrels,.......but the loss is measurable.
    Last edited by Hauptmann; 05-25-2016 at 10:15 AM.

Looks like Speer fixed the issue with the G2 having problems expanding through the denim testing.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Recovered from BG--
    I first read that and thought "Man, they shot the bejeezus outta that g...oh, Ballistic Gelatin. Duh."
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

You're not the only one :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    I first read that and thought "Man, they shot the bejeezus outta that g...oh, Ballistic Gelatin. Duh."
    I have a few "starfish" photos that were pulled at the hospital from several BGs that took HST to the chest...
    Last edited by voodoo_man; 05-25-2016 at 11:25 AM.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    I have a few "starfish" photos that were pulled at the hospital from several BGs that took HST to the chest...
    The one street shooting that I've seen left me with the ability to look at a number of 147gr HSTs used in that shooting. My observation is similar.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Is there a spreadsheet being maintained so we can see how all the loads compare?
    Hornady (and I don't know which SKU) was mentioned, but I'm searching around for the results.

Doc, quick question...

Any testing on the new 150gr 9mm micro HST?
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

User Tag List