Page 17 of 48 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Any other Glock 48 fans?

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post

The thing is, for me, it doesn’t seem to matter. I really like the solid wall and clean break.
    That’s a very good way of describing mine. Maybe I just need to shoot it more.

My 48 had a horribly heavy trigger. After further inpection, I found the coating on the striker was, for lack of a better term, blistering. During my fluff and buffer, I “popped” them and now the coating is a little flakey in the area. Still, the trigger has massively improved and is now pulling at what feels like a standard Glock. However, the striker is now on borrowed time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can one of you guys with a new or nearly new G48 do me a favor? Insert a mag and stop where you get the first pressure? Here's mine:

Name:  IMG_7559.jpg
Views: 678
Size:  24.8 KB

What I was seeing yesterday as increased magazine pressure, to remove, and insert. I am noticing that the mag catch prevents a mag from dropping in all the way, and rubs on the mag body on the way in and out. Much much more so than what I recall from my G43X. Mags in that gun would pop out like Candy Bars at Intermission. I am 100% certain this is the mag catch causing this, because I can depress the mag catch, and the mag drops in freely all the way to the stops.

I just wanted to get some comparisons between others who might have experienced with their G48. I'm tempted to get another OEM mag catch, or maybe step up to the Shield Arms mag catch, to see if this a parts issue. Or maybe I should just shoot the gun more, I dunno.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Thoughts?
    My caveman brain wants you to put opposite force on the magazine release while forcefully inserting and removing the magazine to wear it down a tiny bit which should reduce or eliminate the drag.

ETA: There's likely a more elegant solution.

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    My caveman brain wants you to put opposite force on the magazine release while forcefully inserting and removing the magazine to wear it down a tiny bit which should reduce or eliminate the drag.

ETA: There's likely a more elegant solution.
    Yeah, I suppose its just manufacturing tolerances stacking up; maybe my frame is a bit under and the mag release is a bit over; looking at it with a flashlight there's not a lot sticking up. Since I don't have a comparison it's hard to say. I'll just keep working it I think and if there are any burrs in the polymer they'll get worn in a bit more. We're not talking a lot of interference. I'll just keep shooting it.

Can one of you guys with a new or nearly new G48 do me a favor? Insert a mag and stop where you get the first pressure? Here's mine:

What I was seeing yesterday as increased magazine pressure, to remove, and insert. I am noticing that the mag catch prevents a mag from dropping in all the way, and rubs on the mag body on the way in and out. Much much more so than what I recall from my G43X. Mags in that gun would pop out like Candy Bars at Intermission. I am 100% certain this is the mag catch causing this, because I can depress the mag catch, and the mag drops in freely all the way to the stops.

I just wanted to get some comparisons between others who might have experienced with their G48. I'm tempted to get another OEM mag catch, or maybe step up to the Shield Arms mag catch, to see if this a parts issue. Or maybe I should just shoot the gun more, I dunno.

Thoughts?
    My 48 with a Vickers mag release is the same, but I’ve always considered resistance when inserting a mag without depressing the release to be normal. There is no resistance if I depress the release on insertion. Or am I misinterpreting your question?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    My 48 with a Vickers mag release is the same, but I’ve always considered resistance when inserting a mag without depressing the release to be normal. There is no resistance if I depress the release on insertion. Or am I misinterpreting your question?
    Thanks Ken, I am thinking I'm seeing "normal operation".

I reverified it is indeed the front corner of the retention lug of the mag catch that is dragging on the G48. How much drag, of course, is 'normal' and how much might be 'out of spec' is probably subjective. To wear things in a bit, I just did 50 insertions and removals of both mags, and that seems to have worn in the mag/catch interface enough now to be more or less acceptable. It certainly eases in better.

I had to go look at my G19, and, sure enough, same thing; slight resistance on insertion. This gun has 6,500+ rounds through it; I bought it in 2017. This is one of my match mags. It "stops" exactly at the same point.

Name:  IMG_7560.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  24.5 KB

I will say out of the four Glocks I've owned, this one hangs up a bit more than most. I dunno, maybe it's at the outer end of normal manufacturing. It is just a soulless plastic pistol, after all. I think I'm making more of this than warrants, and the gun is fine, I need to shoot it more. Thanks again for the feedback.

Thoughts?
    I don’t see anything unusual. For the magazine catch to work it has to rub on the body of the magazine unless depressed. If it’s rubbing while the catch is pressed, something is out of spec or you aren’t pressing the catch hard enough.

Question for the group. I normally avoid the majority of aftermarket fire control parts for Glocks. When I need to convert a slimline to my preferred smooth trigger, I use a OEM trigger shoe from a full sized gun. However, I’m wondering what some of the aftermarket shoes are like.

Has anyone tried the Vickers / Tango Down polymer flat faced trigger in their 43x or 48?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

First time shooting the G48 today. Nothing, really to note, maybe a question at the end. Got through 80 rounds; 60 of Federal Premium AE 115 and 20 rounds of HST 147. Windage out of the box was fine, my groups were also more or less centered up and down, perhaps a tad low. I only shot The Test twice; but got a decent for me 91-4X the second go round. Gun feels nicely balanced when loaded. I did not notice much difference in perceived recoil between the AE and the HST; albeit I had stuck in a Tungsten Guide Rod I'd left over from my G43X. I like it a lot.

Question: Do ya'll see the trigger breaking higher than Glock's advertised 24N/5.4 lb? I don't have a trigger gauge, just seems to me a little higher than I expect, relative to other Glocks ( G43X, G26, G19) I've owned. No deal breaker, just curious.
    Just did a 10 pull average on a NIB G48 and it was 5# 8oz. near the bottom of the trigger which is what I average at this point with most Glocks.
    They all average more when trying to measure in the center of the trigger.

User Tag List