Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HD AR Build

I thought the benefit of the 300blk was that it was designed around a ~8 inch barrel, so if you are building a dedicated HD sbr/pistol it would be a viable choice despite the price disparity of ammo. If you are fielding a longer barrel (>11 inches) I can't see a benefit to the 300. Just my .02.

Sent from my iPhone, I apologize in advance for typos.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Is this another classic rob_s strawman? I never said there was anything wrong with 5.56. Is this the part where you're going to create an argument on my behalf again?

Ugh. Whatever. I'm done. I said my piece to the OP about the caliber consideration and anything from here on out with you is just drivel.
    Yes, the drivel started the moment you brought up a fantasy caliber and then started wafling.

What is your experience with 300 BLK that would lead you to your recommendation?

Site Supporter
    Keep it civil and avoid the personal attacks.

I rather have a 10.5 or 11.5 than the 2 -14.5 carbines I have now.

Its not like I will be shooting bad guys at 50 yards so the shorter barrel would be fine for me. Plus it would be easier to maneuver around my house if used for HD.

Also wouldn't mind having a 9inch in 6.8

Quote Originally Posted by SamuelBLong View Post
    10.5 / 11.5 will retain plenty of velocity & reliability. Anything shorter gets really finicky.

With a typical can length added on, you are looking at just short of a 16" gun.

This is a PWS Mk110 upper on an M16a1. Suppressor is a AAC 416-SD. Next to it is my patrol gun, a DDM4V1:

Just ordered a DD 11.5" 5.56 Gov profile 1:7. Now to search for a 13 or 15 inch handguard that will go over a standard diameter can.

Site Supporter
    Is there a standard diameter for cans ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay23 View Post
    Just ordered a DD 11.5" 5.56 Gov profile 1:7. Now to search for a 13 or 15 inch handguard that will go over a standard diameter can.
    Does your suppressor thread on or quick disconnect with a dedicated mount/muzzle device? If quick disconnect you will not be able to run it under the rail.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

HD AR Build

Quote Originally Posted by SkyLine1 View Post
    Does your suppressor thread on or quick disconnect with a dedicated mount/muzzle device? If quick disconnect you will not be able to run it under the rail.

Not so! Look at the silencerco Saker. It sounds awesome on everything from a 7" barrel to a 16" barrel (and everything in between). Doesn't sound quite as good as the SpecWar, but 10 times more versatile

Quote Originally Posted by SkyLine1 View Post

Neither yet. Right now it is just a pile of parts. I think I am going to go with a screw on.

There aren't a lot of people in the world who have shot suppressed SBR's enough to legitimately answer the question for you. Beyond that, you have individual preference. There are a lot of guys on the internet who don't own SBR's or suppressors, but will tell you what you "need." As for me, I'm not claiming to be an expert (there are already enough self-proclaimed experts on the internet) but I do own and shoot a suppressed SBR, so I'll share my perspective.

I have a Daniel Defense "MK18" which is a 10.3" barreled SBR with a 9.5" railed handguard. This setup was designed to have the combination of the shortest possible barrel with the longest possible handguard and still work with the carbine gas system. Mine has been 100% reliable (zero failures) for almost 2,000 rounds, suppressed or not, and even full-auto suppressed (On a post-sample Colt M4 lower). To me this rifle is absolutely perfect in every way. I set it up with an Aimpoint T-1, folding backup irons, a Geissele trigger, my preferred furniture, a Surefire light, and a VCAS sling. I've killed a deer with this rifle, I've competed at a high level in 3gun with this rifle (2nd place out of 38 shooters last month. Missed the leader, my buddy, by 6 seconds with him running a 16" gun with SJC titan brake and a Vortex 1-6), and if anything ever goes south, this will be the rifle I grab. It shoots MOA or better at 100yds with or without the can, and the addition of the can results in about a 1/2 MOA shift downward.

The bottom line is buy quality, proven parts, and run the gun. If something doesn't work, tear it off, sell it, and buy something else that does work. Don't be constrained by what others tell you is best. Listening to the advise of others with actual experience can be helpful and enlightening, but don't let it define things too much for you.

And...pics, because everyone loves 'em:

Untitled by ASH556, on Flickr

Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

User Tag List