Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best hex and torx bits?

Best hex and torx bits?

Since someone started a thread about torque wrench/tools, I thought I’d ask about what 1/4” bits you guys are using? Over the years, I’ve found that I really like Wera and Wiha brands. They both last very long and have been true to their posted size. I’ve tried other bits that fit loosely in the hex head fasteners but when I tried it with the Weras or Wihas, there was much less wobble and much less chance of stripping heads.

The Wera hex also have and interesting design called HEX PLUS. It’s supposed to grab the hex slot better, making it less likely to strip.

I use Wiha or Wera bits myself. I personally haven't noticed much difference between them. My most recent purchase was one or the other brand in 50 packs of several common Torx sizes. I got tired of not being able to find the right Torx bit. Now I have enough bits to keep some in multiple tool boxes. I doubt I'll need to to buy Torx bits again in my lifetime.

The bits Borka uses in their kits are high quality, they are re-branded from some east European manufacturer, I don't remember which. The fix-it sticks bits are fine but nothing special.

I use a Chapman set.

I've heard people rave about PB Swiss being the best hex and Torx keys, albeit not necessarily worth the premium over Wera or Wiha.

A little off topic, but I hate that when I buy a set of bits, a good number of the bits are ones I’ll NEVER use!!! Pozi-drive, Robertson, 5 point torx, security torx!?!?!? I can use the security torx in place of regular torx, but the rest are useless to me.

This came up because I checked out PBSwiss’ site and was browsing their bit sets.

Quote Originally Posted by Pnut View Post
    A little off topic, but I hate that when I buy a set of bits, a good number of the bits are ones I’ll NEVER use!!! Pozi-drive, Robertson, 5 point torx, security torx!?!?!? I can use the security torx in place of regular torx, but the rest are useless to me.

This came up because I checked out PBSwiss’ site and was browsing their bit sets.
    Robertson works really well for me on a lot of hybrid Philips screws/hardware that are more and more common these days. My preference for most electrical components is a #1 Robertson in place of the compatible #2 Phillips.

They are extremely expensive, but I use my Wera 056490 Tool-Check Plus Metric all the time when doing facilities maintenance. It's just so size/weight efficient in my smaller Veto bag. Solves a ton of precarious little problems. I think they do fit better than a lot of bits, but not impact rated. Also, not necessarily the complete selection for gun/optic work. I take out the Pozi bits and replace them with SAE hex bits. Maybe not worth the money unless you are a little obsessed with tools or use them all day.

I think the best money I've ever spent on bits-value for dollar- is the Makita Impact XPS 60 piece at ~$25. They seem to fit quite well and are impact rated. The case is great; very size efficient in a bag/drawer compared to Milwaukee or DeWalt. There are a buch of duplicates, but I take some out and it gives me lots of room to build out a larger selection. I've made a lot of money with these doing construction and maintenance. They really take use/abuse well. I think they are also harder to lose because of the bright finish. They stand out.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-I...1644/311427312

I’m more of a hobbyist, so I’ve never run into a lot of these specialty fasteners. But I do appreciate quality tools. I picked up the Wera Bit Check Plus kit that you mentioned a few years ago and it lives in my EDC bag! Very handy for EDC.

Speaking of EDC bit sets, I recently purchased 2 different Wiha GoBox sets that I really like. They now love in my range bag. One has a tiny ratchet and uses 1/4” bit. The other is a precision driver that uses micro bit. I replaced some of the unused bits for other bits I’d commonly need on my guns.

Name:  IMG_0497.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  26.3 KBName:  IMG_0498.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  19.6 KB

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    I've been very pleased with the Chapman Precision Mity Master #1000 set. The bits fit flat, phillips, torx, and allen heads precisely with proper engagement to protect against stripping out the heads. They are strong enough to take some torque, but have sufficient flex in the bit itself to let you feel when the fastener is probably tight enough.

And they're made in the US, which I prefer if I can get it.

They aren't the cheapest option but I've been using it for years and I've always been glad I made the investment.
    3/15/2016

@TCinVA I have that same set that I absolutely love. However, I have had an issue with the star bits. The proper one wouldn't fit the optic screws Holosun sent with my SCS.

It was very close but the inner profile on the screws was just different enough to prevent the bit from going in. I had to grab the Wheeler set.

User Tag List