Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Setting wrist angle - AIWB draw

Setting wrist angle - AIWB draw

I am curious how the principle of setting your wrist angle applies to an AIWB draw. If it does, at what point during the process does it occur?

@Mr_White
    @AsianJedi
    @GJM

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    I am curious how the principle of setting your wrist angle applies to an AIWB draw. If it does, at what point during the process does it occur?

@Mr_White
    @AsianJedi
    @GJM
    What’s your hand starting position? Relaxed, high thoracic, etc?
    FAST Coin Owner #15
    Paper M in Carry Optics #A96020
    Point 1 Tactics Elite Standards Coin #4

Quote Originally Posted by AsianJedi View Post
    What’s your hand starting position? Relaxed, high thoracic, etc?
    That may vary greatly, but for the sake of conversation could we discuss high thoracic?

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post

@Mr_White
    @AsianJedi
    @GJM
    If I understand you right, I think it's pretty important in the AIWB draw. That's because the AIWB position forces the wrist into a different (much more bent - medially, I guess?) position than it will have when firing. That change has to happen sometime after the gun is lifted. For me, 'setting my wrist angle' involves a significant feeling of back-pressure on the wrist (so laterally, I guess?) and it occurs after the gun is lifted and as the hands are joining. I want the wrist angle set as the number three position is established. More back pressure on the strong hand wrist like that also is a pretty frequent antidote to the issue of first shots going to the support side with an AIWB draw. I've seen that a lot - I think it's a pitfall due to the wrist angle issue. And I've seen more conscious back pressure on the wrist often help.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

I just shot some high speed video. My strong side wrist reaches its final angle after the support hand begins to form its grip, but before the grip is fully made. I feel like my support hand is as or more important in setting the index. If I draw SHO, my wrist angle is still changing up until almost full extension.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    If I understand you right, I think it's pretty important in the AIWB draw. That's because the AIWB position forces the wrist into a different (much more bent - medially, I guess?) position than it will have when firing. That change has to happen sometime after the gun is lifted. For me, 'setting my wrist angle' involves a significant feeling of back-pressure on the wrist (so laterally, I guess?) and it occurs after the gun is lifted and as the hands are joining. I want the wrist angle set as the number three position is established. More back pressure on the strong hand wrist like that also is a pretty frequent antidote to the issue of first shots going to the support side with an AIWB draw. I've seen that a lot - I think it's a pitfall due to the wrist angle issue. And I've seen more conscious back pressure on the wrist often help.
    I'm not on the same page, I can tell. Please elaborate more about "back-pressure on the wrist (so laterally, I guess?) and it occurs after the gun is lifted and as the hands are joining."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I just shot some high speed video. My strong side wrist reaches its final angle after the support hand begins to form its grip, but before the grip is fully made. I feel like my support hand is as or more important in setting the index. If I draw SHO, my wrist angle is still changing up until almost full extension.
    Please share the video if possible. Me, I wouldn't know how, but would love to see what you have been up to.

Setting wrist angle - AIWB draw

Quote Originally Posted by Clay1 View Post
    Please share the video if possible. Me, I wouldn't know how, but would love to see what you have been up to.
    I can’t figure out how to post video while maintaining PERSEC. Here are some screen caps. Par time was 0.8s to 1 dry fire shot, fairly sporty, at least for me.

Last edited by Clusterfrack; 02-14-2020 at 07:28 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Clay1 View Post
    I'm not on the same page, I can tell. Please elaborate more about "back-pressure on the wrist (so laterally, I guess?) and it occurs after the gun is lifted and as the hands are joining."

Thanks
    Here’s what I mean:

This is my strong hand wrist during count 1 (establish master grip) of the draw.
    [img]20200214_161359 by OrigamiAK, on Flickr[/img]

This is my strong hand wrist during counts 3 and 4 (hands join and gun goes to full extension, respectively) of the draw.
    [img]20200214_161417 by OrigamiAK, on Flickr[/img]

The second picture is what I mean by ‘back pressure on the strong hand wrist’. I make that change after the gun is lifted out of the holster, and as the hands are joining. I believe it to be important to get that done as early as possible in the draw, because the wrist angle is key to index, which supports highly efficient sighted fire. Not sufficiently setting the wrist (insufficient back pressure), particularly when drawing from AIWB, often leads to index and shots drifting toward the shooter’s support side.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    Not sufficiently setting the wrist (insufficient back pressure), particularly when drawing from AIWB, often leads to index and shots drifting toward the shooter’s support side.
    When you were here last year I think I pushed the first shot to my support side in both Bill drills and one split Bill, and not setting the wrist early enough was a big part of that. Getting the grip set early enough in the draw was probably the hardest thing for me when I switched to AIWB.

User Tag List