Page 210 of 241 FirstFirst ... 110160200208209210211212220 ... LastLast
Results 2,091 to 2,100 of 2406

Thread: Sippin' Bourbon

...For medicinal purposes only, Doc.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Opened this up last night. Barreled in 2001…bottles in 2019.

Name:  A1B7D3B5-C352-4A9A-B07C-0ED44B3B5697.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  46.2 KB

And...how was it?
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    And...how was it?
    Pretty damn good! 👍🏻

Heaven Hill workers voted to strike recently: http://nelsoncountygazette.com/?p=49929. After reading a couple different articles on it, it sounds like HH workers aren't paid comparably to other distilleries' employees, even though HH is very profitable and just opened a new $20m visitor center. Sounds like a fair complaint to me, so I'm going to buy other distilleries' stuff until the strike is over. If it sounds fair to you, you might do the same.

I hope it ends soon. Rittenhouse Bonded Rye makes an A+ Sazerac.

I like McKenna Single barrel quite a bit. Larceny is one of my wife's favorites. Rittenhouse makes a killer Manhattan. Only way I'll quit buying is if the strike lasts long enough for the stores to run out.

Student
    We're a little over halfway through Bourbon Month. What has been your ONE most enjoyable pour this year to date?

Mine has been this year's Rebel 10 Year, which is annual but this year was also with their first label redesign dropping the 'Yell'. I was lucky enough to get two bottles from two different barrels and liked them both better than Weller Full Proof and Larceny Barrel Proof, and confirmed this via blind. Perhaps the best available wheater I've had ever, though I should be getting two Old Elk picks (a wheated bourbon and a wheat whiskey) that an online club picked with Greg Metze either tonight or tomorrow in the mail, so we'll see if they can contend.

My best tip: this year so far, I was also lucky enough to have three different Blanton's store picks at retail. I have also had four different Buffalo Trace picks this year, and I dare say all four of them were superior in taste, age, price, and availability.

Site Supporter
    Elijah Craig Barrel Proof for sure #1.
    Lots of contenders for 2nd place.

Enjoying a Smoke Wagon currently. Always a good idea to smile and chat up the ladies at Specs.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Elijah Craig Toasted Barrel is very good. That Elijah Craig 18 year was surprisingly good. Not as oakey as I thought it would be and very smooth. Henry McKenna is another very good bourbon. If you can find it, JTS Brown BiB is damn good, especially for the price of $16ish per bottle here in NC.

I bought the Blantons Gold with high expectations… and they were quickly diminished. Not that good at all. For that matter, and I hate to say it, there are way better bourbons than Blantons. After I drink the letters/horses that I currently have, unless it’s something very special I won’t buy it again.

It’s bourbon season and you should start seeing the harder to find ones coming out. There is a new store opening here in October or November and the local/county ABC folks are holding back all the good shit. You can bet my ass will be in line.

I agree with @KeeFus. Blanton's is way over rated and way overpriced for what you get. Granted, my palate with all things spirits falls into either:
    a. Tastes good
    b. Meh
    c. Dont like it.

Translations are a, self explanatory, b, not bad/wont refuse it/wont seek it out/ and c, wont buy it/ pass if offerred. I don't get the rainbow of flavors described, that are in no way shape or form part of the ingredients, the connoisseurs seem to find. That said, I like Mckenna BIB, Weller 107, a couple of store picks I had that are no longer available. My current favorite (and bargain) is Early Times BIB. Get it while you can. The label has been sold. Alledgedly, the new owners aren't going to change it, but I doubt it. It is 25 bucks a liter in NC. I also like the Clyde May's quite a bit.

Honestly though, I'm kind of burned out on trying the seemingly endless labels that keep coming out. Also tired of finding a good one only to see the hipsters "discover" it and drive the price to stupid. McKenna has nearly doubled over the last two years. Thanks to @DocGKR Ive recently tried a couple of Irish Whiskeys, and have to say I like them better than bourbon. The ones I had are up there in price though, close to "nope" range. I've also been giving rum another go, feeling a bit nostalgic for my Caribbean patrol days.

User Tag List