Page 44 of 185 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494144 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 vaccines: medical concerns and recommendations

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    Your question wasn't directed at me, but there is no data available to support any answer. In other words, there's no way to know what would be optimal. A lot of people at work, myself included, were immunized in Jan/Dec. We started seeing breakthrough cases in July (six months after the second dose of vaccine). On average, people in my small cohort have lost 90% of their antibody between March and July/August. We're finally starting to generate some T cell data, and that doesn't look encouraging either. If you have a lot of community transmission in your area, I think the best decision would be to get the boost at six months instead of eight months. I don't know of any data from any system, that says there would be a difference in response to vaccination resulting from this sort of interval change. Testing differences like this would be expensive and likely not provide much useful information.
    How does this compare with the rate of antibody persistence for people who have antibodies acquired through infection? Last I remember reading, initial antibody response via vaccines was supposed be ~10x more. Is it the case that infection-borne antibodies are fewer in number but more persistent?

Another aspect I'm unclear on--with mRNA vaccines your body is essentially getting blueprints for producing antibodies, and it does that by itself. What mechanism controls the amount of antibodies being produces, and can that be adjusted/regulated? I'm assuming there's a relationship with vaccine dosage, but not clear on the mechanism.

The logistics of biannual boosters seem like they'd be staggering.
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Any thoughts from medical folks here on the value of otc pulse-oximeters for people diagnosed with covid monitoring themselves at home?
    Based on my observations, I still don't think that those are very helpful, just like I thought earlier. I get it that some people may be prompted to seek care if their sats are low but I also see a possibility of pseudo assurance by normal sats.

I do admit I bought a couple on Amazon after my colleague convinced me. I didn't think they were too accurate (several % points difference between different fingers). People keep reporting cases where patients came for care "looking fine" but their sats were low; question is if they were looking fine, why did they come for care then?

I think it really depends on how it is planned to be used. If someone has symptoms but wouldn't go get tested because sats are fine, i think it is totally wrong in era of monoclonal antibodies. If someone has covid and they want to self monitor while staying at home, then maybe with the caveats as above.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post

Another aspect I'm unclear on--with mRNA vaccines your body is essentially getting blueprints for producing antibodies, and it does that by itself. What mechanism controls the amount of antibodies being produces, and can that be adjusted/regulated? I'm assuming there's a relationship with vaccine dosage, but not clear on the mechanism.
    mRNA is degraded in the cell’s cytoplasm by a number of mechanisms including exonucleases, nonsense mediated decay pathway, etc.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    ...degraded ...by a number of mechanisms including ...nonsense mediated decay pathway...
    Something, something, this thread...*

*Not directed at you, to be clear.

Important question for the medical people: when I got my third dose today the pharmacist advised me not to take any aspirin or Tylenol for a few hours after getting my dose. I did not do this the last time. Did I screw up or weaken the vaccine? After my first dose I immediately took a Benadryl because I was worried about allergic reaction on my relatively long drive from the vaccination place to my home. I also immediately got a headache and took a Tylenol3 or Tylenol5 with codine. Did this weaken my vaccine?

thanks.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Something, something, this thread...*

*Not directed at you, to be clear.
    I read the post above this and thought... "There's some stuff I need a glossary to understand"
    Then I read your post and had a good LOL.

Long hot day. Thanks!
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    Important question for the medical people: when I got my third dose today the pharmacist advised me not to take any aspirin or Tylenol for a few hours after getting my dose
    I don't know what's the basis for that advice, and no, you didn't affect your vaccine effectiveness.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I don't know what's the basis for that advice, and no, you didn't affect your vaccine effectiveness.
    There was some discussion previously about whether anti-inflammatory drugs attenuate immune reactions.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    There was some discussion previously about whether anti-inflammatory drugs attenuate immune reactions.
    Must've missed it.
    Ironic how we don't consider someone to have developed a complete immune response until two weeks after the second shot but someone is worried about a dose of a Tylenol right after the jab.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Must've missed it.
    Ironic how we don't consider someone to have developed a complete immune response until two weeks after the second shot but someone is worried about a dose of a Tylenol right after the jab.
    This was based on the warning that the pharmacist gave me today. I don't remember receiving a warning like this when I got the other Covid vaccines. When it comes to medical things, I am at about a Springfield XD level of knowledge. (People at Taurus Judge level of knowledge are the ones who drink bleach).

YVK, I would also like to especially thank you for many your contributions to this thread and the board in general.
    Last edited by Ed L; 08-25-2021 at 06:23 PM.

User Tag List