Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Peaceful protests, vehicle fighting, and kiddos

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    That was back in June. Same FB group discussed it then. Here is a better video.

https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=2562466614005390

https://www.facebook.com/20184278450...2466614005390/

Edit: I cant get the video to imbed properly. Sorry nonFB people, I dont know where else this angle is uploaded.

It looks like he slowed dramatically to avoid hitting people, only shot the one person attempting entry, used a 33rd mag, and tried to blend in the crowd on the way out abandoning his car. Pretty much what many here think is a good move. SoF magazine repoeted him arrested but I don't know how it turned out.
    Last edited by Cory; 08-23-2020 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JM Campbell View Post
    IMO a better solution for you.

https://rcsgear.com/vanguard-2-holst...for-glock-m-p/

Cheap and if you don’t like it for on body it is a great way to store a pistol in a bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    JM thanks for the thought but I have no interest in IWB holsters.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    This came up in a private facebook group I'm in. I won't be sharing the name of the group, but I imagine a few here are in the same one. Some seriously important stuff to take note of here. Including the mob use of OC and strobes to remove the ability to PID threats individually. Noting the way the police respond is also not helpful - though there seems to be no effective way for individual cops to intervene either. The 4 involved are conceal carrying but don't find themselves in a position to really use that effectively.

https://twitter.com/@twitter/status/1294901716853198850
    Massive respect for the restraint they showed in not firing on those bastards despite plenty of justification.

Maybe I missed it, but what was it that drove the crowd to hone in on these guys?
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    Massive respect for the restraint they showed in not firing on those bastards despite plenty of justification.

Maybe I missed it, but what was it that drove the crowd to hone in on these guys?
    I'm not sure. I'm guessing that being in shape with close cropped hair didn't help them fit in, but I really don't know what was the catalyst. Or if there even was one.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    This came up in a private facebook group I'm in. I won't be sharing the name of the group, but I imagine a few here are in the same one. Some seriously important stuff to take note of here. Including the mob use of OC and strobes to remove the ability to PID threats individually. Noting the way the police respond is also not helpful - though there seems to be no effective way for individual cops to intervene either. The 4 involved are conceal carrying but don't find themselves in a position to really use that effectively.

https://twitter.com/@twitter/status/1294901716853198850
    If I was he, I'd like to meet this guy one-on-one:

Name:  FF2.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  16.5 KB

I am far and away any kind of expert on the matter, but I have a few thoughts-
    - I have used on ramps as exits when the situation called for it.
    - 4WD trumps AWD. 4WD has a low range giving the driver more torque, lower speed and greater control when pushing barriers out of the way and getting over and around obstacles. AWD is better than 2WD, but doesn't offer a low range.
    - I have gotten out of several potentially bad situations by keeping my distance from the vehicles ahead of me, especially when coming to a complete stop. I always look for a escape routes, particularly unconventional ones. Driving a 4WD opens up more options for me.
    - Keeping your child strapped in the child's seat if you have to abandon your vehicle may seem awkward, but it gives your child added protection from thrown objects, physical attacks and rough handling (such as being dropped or if you stumble & fall). I read about a car jacking where the badguys threw the child out of the moving vehicle and the child seat kept the kid from injury.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    I am far and away any kind of expert on the matter, but I have a few thoughts-
    - I have used on ramps as exits when the situation called for it.
    - 4WD trumps AWD. 4WD has a low range giving the driver more torque, lower speed and greater control when pushing barriers out of the way and getting over and around obstacles. AWD is better than 2WD, but doesn't offer a low range.
    - I have gotten out of several potentially bad situations by keeping my distance from the vehicles ahead of me, especially when coming to a complete stop. I always look for a escape routes, particularly unconventional ones. Driving a 4WD opens up more options for me.
    - Keeping your child strapped in the child's seat if you have to abandon your vehicle may seem awkward, but it gives your child added protection from thrown objects, physical attacks and rough handling (such as being dropped or if you stumble & fall). I read about a car jacking where the badguys threw the child out of the moving vehicle and the child seat kept the kid from injury.
    You know, I drive a 4wd partly for this reason. But sometimes I wonder about the maneuverability of it in 4 on pavement. Maybe this is a stupid concern but any time I have it in 4 on pavement (which is pretty often since I need 4wd to get my boat out of the water a lot of the time) I'm struck by the jerky and awkward handling, even though I don't think I have a locking front differential or anything.

I've never had a 4wd newer than my old 4runner - is this a byproduct of the primitive technology I'm using? Or is it inherent to the medium? And does anyone else worry about a less-controllable vehicle while pushing through crowds? Obviously at low speed it's not an issue, I just wonder about stepping on it and having it react differently than I expect.

Although I guess I've driven the thing back and forth to the ramp in 4 enough times by now that this concern is probably pointless; I'm just thinking of a "I always run my 226 in SA only except when I suddenly have an emergency and I have to actually work that DA first pull" kind of effect where 99% of your practise time is in 2wd and it handles one way, then, when you're under huge pressure, you flip a switch and you're driving a pretty different-feeling vehicle.

Probably overthinking that...just curious if this is on anyone else's mind.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Quote Originally Posted by Maple Syrup Actual View Post
    You know, I drive a 4wd partly for this reason. But sometimes I wonder about the maneuverability of it in 4 on pavement. Maybe this is a stupid concern but any time I have it in 4 on pavement (which is pretty often since I need 4wd to get my boat out of the water a lot of the time) I'm struck by the jerky and awkward handling, even though I don't think I have a locking front differential or anything.

I've never had a 4wd newer than my old 4runner - is this a byproduct of the primitive technology I'm using? Or is it inherent to the medium? And does anyone else worry about a less-controllable vehicle while pushing through crowds? Obviously at low speed it's not an issue, I just wonder about stepping on it and having it react differently than I expect.

Although I guess I've driven the thing back and forth to the ramp in 4 enough times by now that this concern is probably pointless; I'm just thinking of a "I always run my 226 in SA only except when I suddenly have an emergency and I have to actually work that DA first pull" kind of effect where 99% of your practise time is in 2wd and it handles one way, then, when you're under huge pressure, you flip a switch and you're driving a pretty different-feeling vehicle.

Probably overthinking that...just curious if this is on anyone else's mind.
    Our jeep will bind itself up into immobility on pavement in 4wd. This gets me all the time in winter, when I encounter random bare patches in well-traveled parking lots, for example.

The real value of old “off-road” rigs is ground clearance, allowing one to munch over curbs, lane dividers, sidewalks, and decorative shrubbery. Or so I’ve heard, on occasion.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maple Syrup Actual View Post
    Both. Without a center differential you'll have binding issues. IIRC, Jeep has some systems with a true transfer case and differential so you can have full time 4wd, aka AWD, or locked in 4wd. Front lockers are a different thing and you'll know if you have them. It'll be selectable as it definitely fights turning.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

If it has a locking center diff it will bind up. Most people readily understand that the inner and outer wheels of a vehicle in a turn rotate at different speeds so a locked axle diff can bind it up. But actually all 4 wheels turn at different speeds so a locking center diff causes it too, although to a lessor degree. The main detriment I see w/ locked diffs while trying to evade is the vehicle doesn't want to turn. It will turn but it takes a lot of steering effort and at some point the tires actually have to slide somewhat. My 2011 Tacoma is 4wd but the center diff is locked by a solenoid controlled by a switch on the dash. The problem I always have either locking or unlocking is I need to put the trans in neutral and let it roll at walking to jogging speed while the solenoid keeps trying to make the gears move. So if I were trying to evade in 4wd, I'd be reluctant to try to get it out of 4wd . Just leave it in 4wd and put up w/ the binding and try to find a bit of lawn or gravel or anything that will let the tires slide a little. I will say that the more mainstream awd in a lot of suv's would seem less effective than 4wd but it is much better than you might think. All the awds that I am familiar with (Toyota/Lexus) also have the capability of applying the brakes to any of the 4 wheels. So if one starts to spin, it is stopped by brake application and the other 3 wheels get the power. I recently read an article (that I can't find now) comparing a RAV4 vs a Jeep or Rover (I forget which) doing off road and mud. The end result was that the RAV was much, much better than they expected it to be against a vehicle known as an offroader. I agree w/ the above that the most value of 4wd or awd suv type vehicles is the ground clearance. There are a lot of cars w/ awd but most are standard height. We were in the Tacoma yesterday and I was thinking about this. I think the best part of that vehicle is that sitting in a line of stopped traffic as we have been discussing, I could turn the wheel, go up over the curb and down a sidewalk, through a lawn, etc no problem.
    Last edited by CraigS; 08-24-2020 at 12:40 PM.

User Tag List