Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Peaceful protests, vehicle fighting, and kiddos

I will add to pangloss’s touching on situational awareness; pay attention!

We all get in to auto-pilot mode when driving at times. I’ve been working to snap myself out of that, especially when waiting at a light. While not having all the details of the Garrett Foster incident, I imagine had Mr. Perry taken a second to look and see the crowd headed his way he could’ve perhaps avoided the whole ordeal. That’s just my assumption though.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

I'm worried about the mob blocking the freeway. You come up on traffic, only it's not traffic, and there's nowhere to go, no way to turn around, no way to "keep moving". On the surface streets, it's a lot easier to make a 10-point turn, climb some curbs and find a way out. Everything changes when there's kids in the car, too. Luckily mine is seven and can probably run faster than me

I agree with the "avoid the situation". While easier said than done, use tools like Waze to scout out your routes. They are not perfect and if your timing is bad, you could be the first Waze user reporting the issue. Nothing is 100%, but knowledge in this case is power.

If I was really concerned about being disabled and had to go somewhere (not likely for me), I would drive something with a body on a chassis, AWD, skid plates, add pusher bars on the front attached to the frame, add a class III or IV trailer hitch, dash cams front, back, and sides, and swap to run flat tires. The idea is to make my vehicle a harder target than the other vehicles while documenting what happens. If I was stuck in a protest, my response would be hazard flashers, call 911, and keep moving slowly. I would stop for nothing until I was clear.

If my windows are being breached, I would consider that an attempt to do violence to my family and would accordingly respond. In my experience, a vehicle can usually leave the area if the driver does not first stop. Being in contact with 911 before contact is made is important. Be the good citizen reporting the assault and offer the video from your cameras to the police as opposed to letting the attacker's edited video speak for itself.

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    I'm worried about the mob blocking the freeway. You come up on traffic, only it's not traffic, and there's nowhere to go, no way to turn around, no way to "keep moving". On the surface streets, it's a lot easier to make a 10-point turn, climb some curbs and find a way out. Everything changes when there's kids in the car, too. Luckily mine is seven and can probably run faster than me
    Blocking the freeway happens often up here. They choose areas with sound walls, big concrete median dividers, and steep embankments so you have no exit or escape options. Traffic becomes a parking lot almost instantly so there's no turning around or backing out. On occasion they block one of the Mississippi river bridges (same one that collapsed in 2007). Some of these area's have pedestrian bridges and overpass roads that would serve as excellent high ground cover if the mobs ever wanted to escalate things.

They've blocked freeways during morning commutes, mid-day, evening commutes, at night, and on the weekends. What complicates matters is all of the areas they block experience traffic delays at any given time so you don't know if you're rolling up on a traffic delay or protest until it's too late.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    Lastly, you could dress like a protester. Step out of the car before things get ugly while you're wearing a "silence is violence" shirt and I bet the whole dynamic would change. As the saying goes, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. This plan might be dependent on your vehicle and also your acting abilities. I drive a 15 year old compact car and the one sticker on it would not trouble the kind of protesters we're discussing. However, I'm 44, so I might be too old to pull this one off. I don't know what age these people are, but my assumption is that most of them are in their 20s. In any case, avoiding a violent confrontation is preferable to engaging in one, especially when you're vastly outnumbered.
    I'm certainly no expert, but could see this having some merit. Protesters seem to favors, masks, hats, and glasses too. Toss on a ball cap, mask, and your shades and one could hardly tell if you're 44 or 24.

Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    I'm certainly no expert, but could see this having some merit. Protesters seem to favors, masks, hats, and glasses too. Toss on a ball cap, mask, and your shades and one could hardly tell if you're 44 or 24.
    Grow some chin whiskers and braid Viking beard beads into them!
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    Lastly, you could dress like a protester. Step out of the car before things get ugly while you're wearing a "silence is violence" shirt and I bet the whole dynamic would change. As the saying goes, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. This plan might be dependent on your vehicle and also your acting abilities.
    My friend and I were discussing this the other day. One thing he suggested is to drive with a cooler filled with ice cold waters, sometimes kindness can go a long way. Not a theory I'd personally like to test anytime soon however.

Quote Originally Posted by Olim9 View Post
    My friend and I were discussing this the other day. One thing he suggested is to drive with a cooler filled with ice cold waters, sometimes kindness can go a long way. Not a theory I'd personally like to test anytime soon however.
    It seems extremely naive to think that a group smashing your windows would have chosen not to if you'd offered them an ice cold Dasani 30 seconds prior.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    It seems extremely naive to think that a group smashing your windows would have chosen not to if you'd offered them an ice cold Dasani 30 seconds prior.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by 36trap View Post
    Blocking the freeway happens often up here. They choose areas with sound walls, big concrete median dividers, and steep embankments so you have no exit or escape options. Traffic becomes a parking lot almost instantly so there's no turning around or backing out. On occasion they block one of the Mississippi river bridges (same one that collapsed in 2007). Some of these area's have pedestrian bridges and overpass roads that would serve as excellent high ground cover if the mobs ever wanted to escalate things.

They've blocked freeways during morning commutes, mid-day, evening commutes, at night, and on the weekends. What complicates matters is all of the areas they block experience traffic delays at any given time so you don't know if you're rolling up on a traffic delay or protest until it's too late.
    I'm sure it's slower and a PITA, but I would avoid those freeways while there is a risk of protests/blockades. Even if you drop hostiles like Mr. White at a USPSA match, there's nothing on the prize table you want.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

User Tag List