Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: CCW in modern healthcare

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I actually used to carry all the time in a research facility where we had a 16.4 Tesla NMR machine we used to do MRIs on rodents. No problems. Just don't stand inside the red line while it's running....

that said, the field was also tiny (maybe the the size of a can of tennis balls).

I don't carry into healthcare facilities when I am working there because of the professional hazards, not so much the magnetic kinds...
    Last edited by Nephrology; 10-31-2017 at 08:55 AM.

"You cant exactly get down to the MRI room and say, "hey wait, let me drop this right here with my badge and pen!"
    Simple answer: Sorry, I can't go in there since I have some metal parts in my body and I have been advised not to go near an MRI...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Simple answer: Sorry, I can't go in there since I have some metal parts in my body and I have been advised not to go near an MRI...
    As long as he never needs an MRI from that facility in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

It's pretty much standard procedure for radiology reception to offer MRI patients a small, lockable safe for their belongings as part of the check in process.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Site Supporter

CCW in modern healthcare

Quote Originally Posted by NETim View Post
    It's pretty much standard procedure for radiology reception to offer MRI patients a small, lockable safe for their belongings as part of the check in process.
    The last time I had an MRI, that lockable safe (or more correctly, simple locker) was accessed in full view of anyone in the hallway.

Last edited by BillSWPA; 10-31-2017 at 11:34 AM.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Or: I have a side job working in a machine shop. I have had metal shavings in my eyes. I have been advised to avoid exposure to high magnetic fields without first having a CT Scan of the orbits.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Or: I have a side job working in a machine shop. I have had metal shavings in my eyes. I have been advised to avoid exposure to high magnetic fields without first having a CT Scan of the orbits.
    Sound advice. MRI magnets are nothing to fool with.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    This may get you out of one time of moving a patient to the MRI. However, if it happens a few times, and then you need an MRI for something, then you have to explain how you are suddenly able to get close to the MRI.

When your career is on the line, you have to think about possibilities like this. Even a 1% chance of getting caught is unacceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    This may get you out of one time of moving a patient to the MRI. However, if it happens a few times, and then you need an MRI for something, then you have to explain how you are suddenly able to get close to the MRI.

When your career is on the line, you have to think about possibilities like this. Even a 1% chance of getting caught is unacceptable.
    Totally understandable.

Just as a FYI. Most MRI machines you will encounter are 1.5 Tesla magnets. Less common are the 3 Tesla magnets but there are plenty of them. The higher the field strength the more powerful the magnet. Few and far between (about 40 world wide) are 7 Tesla MRI machines. 7 Tesla magnets are usually only found in research facilities and are not a high throughput scanners. The field strength is so high it interferes with human physiology. It typically takes in the neighborhood of 30 minutes to slowly get a patient into the bore of a 7 T magnet. Movement through the field can easily induce nausea & vomiting. The same taking the patient out of the bore.

Some folks report problems from 3 T magnets and there probably are a few out there who say/think they feel the effects of a 1.5 T magnet. Now a person like that may want to avoid a high magnetic field yet would have to endure the field effects if their doctor felt MRI imaging was needed. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post

The above comments and ideas of getting out of MRI are great if your job has that luxury. For me I am the only RT working ER. So if an intubated code patient has to go to MRI there is no other option than for me to be in there physically bagging the patient. I can not duck out of that responsibility or stand behind the red line. Working night shift with some certain staff I could possibly get by with stowing it based on the culture. Other will practically cavity search me. Toss up is not worth it.
    Just a father trying to protect his family.

User Tag List