Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Vehicle camera / Dashboard camera recorders

Rich, did you ever take apart the power adapter to see if the fuse was blown? A friend's did that and it needed a new fuse.

Also did you try a different adapter?
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Vehicle camera / Dashboard camera recorders

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Rich, did you ever take apart the power adapter to see if the fuse was blown? A friend's did that and it needed a new fuse.

Also did you try a different adapter?
    No, it had power, screen just froze. This happened both with the 5V USB cable to the PC as well as the 'power cord' to the 12V. I'm not really known for a lot of patience lol, so it's on its way back to Amazon.

I'm sure it must work great for some folks (e.g. Hambo) which is cool, but my sample of one however wasn't up to scratch.

Anyway, moving on.

Now looking at the Garmin LMT51, due to be released shortly. $329, but only on pre-order from Amazon. It seems to be a Nuvi with a dash cam and other bells and whistles. I've owned several Garmin products, very happy with them.
    Last edited by RJ; 02-02-2017 at 08:10 PM.

I am a big fan of the Garmin GPS'. It is too much trouble for me to
    have two items on my windshield which need power. I am actually very
    excited that their newest GPS has a built in DashCam and some features
    to utilize it.

Camera-assisted Driver Alerts

Take advantage of innovative driver awareness features available only
    on Garmin DriveAssist. When your car is stopped in traffic, the “Go”
    Alert notifies you when traffic in front of you has started to
    move. The Forward Collision Warning5 alerts if you’re driving too
    closely to the vehicle ahead, and if you drift off the road or into
    oncoming traffic, receive Lane Departure Warning5 alerts. Easily
    navigate hard to read house numbers, thanks to the Garmin Real Vision™
    feature. When you approach address destinations, your navigation
    display will switch to a camera view, showing a bright arrow that
    points to where you need to go.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-t...dProducts-desc
    "To achieve any significant technological breakthrough, much Derp must be endured." -Rich@CCC
    "Your shotgun is running a bit frenetic, you should add some lavender to your lubricant, that should calm it down." -Aray, Oils and Lotions SME

I've been using this one for over a year now:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The only issue I've noted thus far is some times after unplugging it, the unit spazzes out by coming on and turning off immediately for a few minutes. Otherwise no issues. Good video quality and the audio is good too.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

The G1W works fine for me.

A dashcam is like a gun. When you need one, you really need one.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    the audio is good too.
    That was the first thing I turned off because I offer encouragement to other drivers who fail to use signals, etc.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

I talk to my dash cam, like saying aloud the physical description, tags, etc of a poor/rude/aggressive motorist.

I have the G1W (this "blackbox" unit, works perfectly) and the tiny Mobius. The Mobius has been unreliable, however I do believe that the last firmware update has fixed this. The G1W worked out of the box, I was actually impressed with it. Added a 64gig card and plug'n'play.

With any dash cam, I recommend paying more attention to it than I do my Glocks All that means, is check it a week or at least every two weeks, make sure it's recording as it should.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    That was the first thing I turned off because I offer encouragement to other drivers who fail to use signals, etc.
    Yeah I do that, as well as what LL does. One of the most frequent phrases in my car is "Nice turn signal, numb nuts!"

I keep the audio on just in case I'm ever involved in some shooting stemming from some dipwad with road rage, I want any exchanges recorded to cover my ass.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    Yeah I do that, as well as what LL does. One of the most frequent phrases in my car is "Nice turn signal, numb nuts!"

I keep the audio on just in case I'm ever involved in some shooting stemming from some dipwad with road rage, I want any exchanges recorded to cover my ass.
    Good idea, I would not have thought of that use for audio.

Our application is generally long distance driving, and the only time I feel a little twitchy is pulling into service stations for fuel. I'll make a mental note to document anything of interest on the way in.

Back to my original dash cam order from Amazon: I've seen now a couple folks post good results with "my" unit, but I have also seen in some of the comments on Amazon that there are "fake" or counterfeit systems out there. Looking at the one LL posted, it's by a company called "Black Box". Price is actually lower, interestingly.

Maybe it's a case of which manufacturer you end up with.

In my case, although I ended up sending it back, the ergonomics and design approach were ok, it just failed to perform as a result of componentry selection (my guess as to why my system would not boot up reliably was a faulty/poorly seated or inserted chipset on the substrate of the installed circuit board. Generally, lower price point products end up choosing components with much wider manufacturing tolerances.)

Looking ahead, I submitted a request to be notified of the release of the $329 Garmin LMT51 unit. I am like nycnoob; I don't want a third device on the windshield if possible. I already have a Garmin Nuvi we use sometimes, and a TST 507 TPMS for monitoring the travel trailer's tire pressure and temperature.

I personally wouldn't spend that much on a dashcam given the plethora of great units at half the price out there, but I can't fault you if that is how you want to go about this. However, I wouldn't be waiting on one, sans having a dash cam right now. I couldn't imagine driving without one.
    #RESIST

User Tag List