Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: New J-frame backup gun advice

Quote Originally Posted by BK14 View Post
    Well. I got the gun back, it’s the same gun. The trigger seems to reset no problem, the pull feels like it oddly has stages in it at times, which may just be normal. I shot about 75 rounds today (super fun gun to shoot). Used an RDR gear holster with a hogue monogrip I’m temporarily using while learning the trigger.....

Now the bad news. The barrel still seems clocked wrong with the front sight off to the right when looking down the sights. Also the chip in the finish I mentioned to Smith is still present. So one of 3 issues was addressed....

Range time showed a tendency to shoot left. The following are groups from 10-15 yards today (sadly, the shot in the center was a called trigger anticipation jerk). I’m definitely still learning the trigger, but even out at 25 yards my shots consistently were almost 10” left.

Took the gun to a dept armorer who without prompting as to the direction of cant identified the sight was canted right... when I told him my 10/15/25 yard groups were all off left he said it was a 7 yard and in gun so I probably shouldn’t worry.... what is the tribes thoughts? Am I expecting too much, or send it back again?
    If he can guarantee you will only need it within 7 yards I would be ok. In reality I would want to be efficient to make a longer shot. I shoot my j frames from contact past 25 yards and they are capable given time. I would have someone else shoot it and see if they get the same results. Find someone familiar with j frames or a double action trigger and let them shoot it. Your shooting appears great just off center. I'm not saying it's you but to normally me. I like to rule me out first.
    Last edited by camsdaddy; 09-04-2019 at 05:42 AM.

That’s not good and I wouldn’t be happy. I’d hit up the LE rep and let him know.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    That’s not good and I wouldn’t be happy. I’d hit up the LE rep and let him know.
    Yeah, just sent him an email.... so we’ll see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just picked up a new M&P 340 today. I hadn’t had any problems with new j frames but today it was my turn. I purchased the gun from grabagun, took delivery at my FFL.

The cylinder had surface rust on it, so did one of the screws and whatever the piece is that locks into the bottom of the cylinder. The finish on the breech face was scuffed and so was the underneath of the top strap.

The finish I don’t really care about but the rust bothered me. I debated refusing the transfer but decided to see how easy it cleaned up and maybe take my chance with S&W warrantee.

The cylinder came mostly clean, but the locking piece in the frame wouldn’t. I called Smith and Wesson and they sent me a prepaid shipping label with no hassle whatsoever. Was quoted 4-6 week turn around.

It’s too bad it came to me this way, but I am really happy so far with how S&W handled it. 4-6 weeks is a bit much, but it’s not my only j frame. I may get a 3rd after this though because of how important a j frame is to me being able to carry every day. If someone is going to be getting their first j frame though and needs it quickly, I’d probably say don’t buy sight unseen at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Disappointing to say the least. I'd been considering another J...but I think I'll hold off at this point.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Some years ago, some market research within the industry revealed that a disproportionate number of new guns are seldom (if ever) fired. Armed with this data, the bean counters quickly realized that the bottom-line could be better managed by devoting less attention (and money) to the final product and just fixing (sorta) the defective products that get returned.

I'm afraid turning out an inferior product is an intentional business model for S&W .... and others, as well.
    Last edited by 41magfan; 09-04-2019 at 06:17 PM.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    Some years ago, some market research within the industry revealed that a disproportionate number of new guns are seldom (if ever) fired. Armed with this data, the bean counters quickly realized that the bottom-line could be better managed by devoting less attention (and money) to the final product and just fixing (sorta) the defective products that get returned.

I'm afraid turning out an inferior product is an intentional business model for S&W .... and others, as well.
    That's very sad. Considering that people's lives may depend on these products.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I’ve already groused bout my last j-frame earlier. At this point, I’ll just note that Ruger’s turn around on my Blackhawk was a few days from receipt of the gun; I think it was just over a week door-to-door? At any rate that wheelie came back fast, and fixed, so I know it can be done.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

My buddy is selling his 340 pd, it's the one with the night sight. He wants $600 plus shipping because he lives in another state. It only has 5 rounds of 357 mag through it lol, and about 200 rounds of standard 38 special. Does that sound like a fair deal?

Quote Originally Posted by 10mmfanboy View Post
    My buddy is selling his 340 pd, it's the one with the night sight. He wants $600 plus shipping because he lives in another state. It only has 5 rounds of 357 mag through it lol, and about 200 rounds of standard 38 special. Does that sound like a fair deal?
    Yes. Scope gunbroker for current pricing.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

User Tag List