Page 11 of 73 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Phlster Enigma. A game changer in belt free carry?

Quote Originally Posted by ssb View Post
    I didn’t even get an email this go-around...
    From PHLster's FB group, the emails went out in batches according to sign-up, and once the run was sold out, no more emails were sent. I also signed up for the second drop too late to get an email.

More drops are coming, and eventually I have to imagine that Enigma will be a regularly stocked item. My understanding is that if we didn't get an email on the second drop, that we're still on the list to get emails when the next drops occur. Hope this helps!
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    Got an email yesterday, had one ordered 5 minutes later.

My normal carry is an AIWB G19, with an AIWB spare mag on the other side. The Enigma doesn't have a place for a mag carrier, so what are you guys doing, just throwing a spare magazine in your pocket? Not carrying a spare?
    I don’t see why you can’t use it with the PHLster Skeleton mag carrier with a loop on the belt portion. I will find out for myself, as I ordered an Enigma within a minute of when I got the e-mail. I plan to try it with my PHLster Classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    From PHLster's FB group, the emails went out in batches according to sign-up, and once the run was sold out, no more emails were sent. I also signed up for the second drop too late to get an email.

More drops are coming, and eventually I have to imagine that Enigma will be a regularly stocked item. My understanding is that if we didn't get an email on the second drop, that we're still on the list to get emails when the next drops occur. Hope this helps!
    They said you will need to sign back up if your were on the waitlist. Name:  8DB67F4C-F33F-4817-9DD2-CE6A78F72D21.jpg
Views: 1481
Size:  33.4 KB
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Smile

My understanding is that if you got notified and couldn’t buy, you need to sign back up; but that if you were waitlisted, and were not notified, then you’re still signed up.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Observations after having these for a couple weeks:

1. My wife had to switch to a holster with no wedge. There's something about the way women's clothes are cut that makes them prone to having a junk bump. Switching to a Phlster Skeleton solved that.
    2. A SCD (we have one on each of our Glocks, grand total of 11) or a hammer fired gun is requisite for this holster for gym short/pajama carry. They all seem to have tie downs in front to assist the elastic. Cutting them off is counterproductive because, at least in my experience, the elastic isn't enough to keep your pants on. I've found those tie downs in my holster when dry firing more than once.
    3. There is a sweet spot in where you put the leg leash. On my wife it's at the crease of her butt. On me it's two inches below the upper insertion point of my bicep femoris (hamstring). Higher works better for us. If we put it lower the movement of our leg makes the leash loosen up and fall to the back of our knees. There's less travel towards the top of your leg. In theory it shouldn't matter but in practice it does (at least for us)
    4. There are a finite number of things you can put on the belt before it starts to cut into you and be uncomfortable. I carry one spare mag, but I wouldn't put anything else on it. Two mags and it starts to get uncomfortable. Two mags and a tourniquet is straight out uncomfortable. The belt just doesn't have enough structure to carry a lot of weight.
    5. I can't comment on running with this thing at the moment. After a broken ankle back in Jan and two stress fractures the last several months, I'm going to focus on strength for a few months over conditioning. Normally my runs are between 6 and 10 miles, at some point I'll give it a shot again.

Keep in mind I haven't had extensive experience with it out and about. We really don't leave the house unless it's to walk the dogs. We both work at home and we use instacart for grocery shopping. Working out in it is relatively comfortable, but honestly I work out at home and there's always a rifle nearby so it's all pretty contrite. I'm not sure if this will replace my Tenicor Velo Gen 4 for belt and jeans carry, like someone else said, there's a lot of stuff stuffed in there. It has definitely replaced our Dene Adams corset for her and Phantom 360 for me. If we ever start to travel for work again, it will definitely be handy, there's a lot of times in a hotel you don't feel like putting on real pants, you just want to stumble downstairs to get your free breakfast in the hotel and bring it back up to your room.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DougNg View Post
    Observations after having these for a couple weeks:

1. My wife had to switch to a holster with no wedge. There's something about the way women's clothes are cut that makes them prone to having a junk bump. Switching to a Phlster Skeleton solved that.
    2. A SCD (we have one on each of our Glocks, grand total of 11) or a hammer fired gun is requisite for this holster for gym short/pajama carry. They all seem to have tie downs in front to assist the elastic. Cutting them off is counterproductive because, at least in my experience, the elastic isn't enough to keep your pants on. I've found those tie downs in my holster when dry firing more than once.
    3. There is a sweet spot in where you put the leg leash. On my wife it's at the crease of her butt. On me it's two inches below the upper insertion point of my bicep femoris (hamstring). Higher works better for us. If we put it lower the movement of our leg makes the leash loosen up and fall to the back of our knees. There's less travel towards the top of your leg. In theory it shouldn't matter but in practice it does (at least for us)
    4. There are a finite number of things you can put on the belt before it starts to cut into you and be uncomfortable. I carry one spare mag, but I wouldn't put anything else on it. Two mags and it starts to get uncomfortable. Two mags and a tourniquet is straight out uncomfortable. The belt just doesn't have enough structure to carry a lot of weight.
    5. I can't comment on running with this thing at the moment. After a broken ankle back in Jan and two stress fractures the last several months, I'm going to focus on strength for a few months over conditioning. Normally my runs are between 6 and 10 miles, at some point I'll give it a shot again.

Keep in mind I haven't had extensive experience with it out and about. We really don't leave the house unless it's to walk the dogs. We both work at home and we use instacart for grocery shopping. Working out in it is relatively comfortable, but honestly I work out at home and there's always a rifle nearby so it's all pretty contrite. I'm not sure if this will replace my Tenicor Velo Gen 4 for belt and jeans carry, like someone else said, there's a lot of stuff stuffed in there. It has definitely replaced our Dene Adams corset for her and Phantom 360 for me. If we ever start to travel for work again, it will definitely be handy, there's a lot of times in a hotel you don't feel like putting on real pants, you just want to stumble downstairs to get your free breakfast in the hotel and bring it back up to your room.
    Mine should be arriving on Tuesday. Looking forward to setting it up. Have you found that a shorter holster can be used with the enigma than on the belt? A g34 length Orion/WC2.5 is what I need for good concealment, but a PHLster pro is a tad more comfortable for long days on the road or at the desk.

Mine will be here Tuesday, will be pairing in with the PHLster Pro for the P365XL that showed up this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Hstanton1 View Post
    Mine should be arriving on Tuesday. Looking forward to setting it up. Have you found that a shorter holster can be used with the enigma than on the belt? A g34 length Orion/WC2.5 is what I need for good concealment, but a PHLster pro is a tad more comfortable for long days on the road or at the desk.
    Pretty sure this is body specific. I’ve always run a Glock 19 length holster successfully at at the 130 position. My wife runs her phlster skeleton holster with a Glock 26 with good concealment closer to the 12 o’clock position but she has it further up on her torso for it to work well.

For reference I’m 5’ 8” 170 lbs athletic build. A Glock 34 length holster would never work for me at 130, my leg would push it up when I’m sitting

Couple of observations after living with this for a couple of days...

1. Viewing the PHLster video on setup is a prerequisite for assembly, at least it was for me. Took a lot of guesswork out of how the bits go together.

2. “Game changer” sounds like hype. It is not hype. It’s really surprising how well getting the rig independent of the trouser/belt combination works for AIWB.

3. One mag on an external looped or clipped carrier works fine with the Enigma belt. You can, however, run whatever you want on a regular gun belt over the Enigma rig, up to and including a complete OWB and double mag carrier, with no consequences (for my build- 34 waist, 44 chest, 6’ 185 lbs). I can run a VP9 with RMR in a PHLster Classic on the Enigma rig and a VP9 or P30 OWB at 3 o’clock with no consequences to comfort. Or a pair of VP9’s, or a pair of P30’s, one in the AIWB on the Enigma and one OWB at 3’oclock. The possibilities are endless. The key is that the gun belt is no longer such a big part of the AIWB fit equation, so AIWB comfort isn’t compromised for proper OWB tension when wearing two guns.

4. I’m not sure the leash is actually needed in a configuration with a regular gun belt over trousers. Obviously it has its utility for sweatpants, etc.

5. Dammit, I should have bought two when my order window opened up. Back on the list, so I can set one up for a different pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Hands View Post
    Any fat guys using this yet?
    Fat guys don't work out.

But then again, they are often seen in the wild wearing sweat pants.....

User Tag List