Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: No, you can't come to my house...

If people say something like, “if things ever get bad, I’m coming to your house” then I know I did a lousy job of keeping a low profile as it relates to any preparations or supplies I might have.

Anyone close enough to me who I trust enough to know what supplies I may have on hand are family members who I have discussed the concept with prior to things getting this crazy, and they have their own supplies.

There is a term for people show who up at your door uninvited during a crisis and expect to have access to your supplies. They’re called, “Looters”.

I still keep in touch with my 24 year old step daughter from my previous marriage. She’s married with 3 kids. They struggle financially, but they budget and they get buy. Her husband made the expected comment that they should just come to my house. She shut that down. This was a couple of weeks ago before the TP rush at the stores. They took some of their tax return and stocked up on groceries and daily necessities. The husband owns a 12 ga pump and an M&P9. I put together a care package of 100 RDS of OO Buck and 100 RDS of 9mm JHP.

To me, the bottom line is I will help out as I can, to who I care to help. If it’s checking on elderly neighbors, giving someone something they really need at the moment or just talking with someone overcome with anxiety. But that is by my choice. Don’t come to my home with an entitled expectation, all because you were to lazy to plan ahead.
    Last edited by Beat Trash; 03-15-2020 at 09:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    In the current flavor of end times, this line of thinking is entirely wrong, in my opinion.

Let me ask you this.

The physicians and nurses who are manning our hospitals - what are YOU going to bring them? Besides your sweaty, feverish, satting 90% on room air self?

Money? Food? TP? 5.56? Sorry, are you bringing enough for the resident, the attending, the student who's going to be made to bag you, the 3-8 different nurses you may have, the respiratory tech, the housekeeping staff? Enough to compensate them for the triple overtime shifts they're pulling? The risk they take of exposing themselves and their families to the virus? The answer is no, because in extremis, the only thing keeping any of us there is our commitment to the profession and to our society.

Right now is a time for collective, community support for one another. It means suppressing those Ayn Rand fever dreams for two minutes and realizing that if you take this selfish line of thinking to its logical extreme, there will be no doctors and nurses in the hospitals, no police or fire or EMS on the roads. No new anti virals, no vaccine, no society.

If shit gets to that point then sure, whatever, all bets are off. But if embracing this attitude too readily is a losing game of the Prisoner's dilemma.

Help out your fucking neighbors guys. Don't be an asshole. If I get called on to risk my health and safety to go to the hospital and be a pair of hands in a time of crisis, then you can share your toilet paper. OK?
    You're a good dude, Neph. Bloody sneakers, proselytizing and all. And you're not wrong. I won't pull an oar with everyone, but I'll pull an oar.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Two questions I am expecting in the coming days:

Can you teach me to shoot?

Can I borrow a gun from you?

My response will vary greatly.
    Taking a break from social media.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post

I have frankly way too many guns, far more than I could ever take with me or use on my own. If things get really crazy, I will happily lend guns to select friends. I'd rather have an extra pair of hands than a 5th AR-15 just for myself.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    He gives me hope for #FrostBacks .
    Well, I did include an apology at the very beginning so I guess this is legit.

Holy Cow I havent been out since before all this craziness happened. Needed to stop by the grocery for a FEW items to make chili. WTF 😂 People have gone crazy.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Site Supporter
    I told my 30+ year old kids a few weeks ago to stock up with non perishable food etc. They thought I was kidding. Wife took the daughter and stocked her up. Son is on his own.

Guys...…

….we're giving each other some room so we don't get each other sick. That's it.

The economy is taking a hit, but it's not collapsing.

Some businesses may close, but the supply chain isn't grinding to a halt.

Some people panic bought at the stores, but there's no looting...there's no reason for looting....and the stores will be restocked.

Chill. the. fuck. out.

This is not an apocalypse.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Guys...…

….we're giving each other some room so we don't get each other sick. That's it.

The economy is taking a hit, but it's not collapsing.

Some businesses may close, but the supply chain isn't grinding to a halt.

Some people panic bought at the stores, but there's no looting...there's no reason for looting....and the stores will be restocked.

Chill. the. fuck. out.

This is not an apocalypse.
    Not even close. I asked a girl who worked there what was going on and she said people showed up when they get trucks in and just wipe them out. Id like to see a few of these fucks arrested for that kinda shit. Im pretty sure there are laws against price gouging in a crisis.
    On the bright side I read on the news where two enterprising individuals got a u haul and bought ALL the $1.00 hand sanitizer in a large area then Amazon shut them down from online sales. I hope they get stuck with all of it.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post

Yeah, I could see those questions coming up from the few non- "gun people" in my life who know that I shoot if things continue to get worse. My response to the first would be "sure, I can show you the basics," but my response to the second would be "I'd be happy to help you through the purchase process at a gun store" because I honestly don't have a safe full of "extra" guns the way a lot of people on this forum do, so even if I was otherwise inclined to lend a person a gun, it really wouldn't be possible.

User Tag List