Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Handgun Carousel Ride, Intervention Needed!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HammerStriker View Post
    I currently own a Gen 3 G19, CZ P01, and Beretta PX4 Storm full sized type F (DA/SA with safety/de-cocker). Like the features of Beretta the most, it such a cool gun... but I shoot the CZ P01 best and its the sexiest /most fun. I've posted about this before and know I'm in the minority here, but the CZ P01 (to me) is snappy as hell for a 9mm...I can still shoot it well, but doesn't feel great after a prolonged range session. I also am not very fond of the placement of the controls on the P01, but don't notice them during live fire. I like the sleek profile of the Glock and well placed controls of the Beretta. Beretta has the nicest trigger, by far...but I fell like I don't even notice/care during rapid live fire. Dry fire pleasure definitely goes to the Beretta. Dry firing the Glock is like practicing with a stapler, but trigger feels find during live fire. How would you go about choosing? What's the most import thing here?
    Honestly, figure out what your “mission” is.
    Mine was “get good with what you carry at work to deal with emergencies”.

So set some criteria…

What do you want to carry (and be good with)?
    Or..
    What would challenge you, and make you grow as a shooter?
    Or..
    What do you enjoy shooting, and want to get better with?

Whatever you select, there needs to be a timer and a quantifiable score for most of your rounds fired. And a log to track your progress.

If not, just pick whatever you enjoy doing. And accept that you’re spending money and time, without any quantifiable gain. Because frankly, that’s where you are until you choose a direction.

I currently own a Gen 3 G19, CZ P01, and Beretta PX4 Storm full sized type F (DA/SA with safety/de-cocker). Like the features of the Beretta the most, its such a cool gun... but I shoot the CZ P01 best and its the sexiest /most fun. I've posted about this before and know I'm in the minority here, but the CZ P01 (to me) is snappy as hell for a 9mm...I can still shoot it well, but doesn't feel great after a prolonged range session. I also am not very fond of the placement of the controls on the P01, but don't notice them during live fire. I like the sleek profile of the Glock and well placed controls of the Beretta. Beretta has the nicest trigger, by far...but I fell like I don't even notice/care during rapid live fire. Dry fire pleasure definitely goes to the Beretta. Dry firing the Glock is like practicing with a stapler, but trigger feels fine during live fire. How would you go about choosing? What's the most import thing here?
    I would keep the G19s and stipple them how you want. I would try a minus connector or whatever reliable connector you want. I would get one or two of them ported or compensated. I would make sure they have red dots. I would consider putting magwells on them. I would get the best holster you possibly can- I am a fan of Dark Star Gear/Vdevgru and JMCK.

How did finally get off of this carousel ride?
    Easy 5 steps.
    1. Determine if you hate SIG, or any other manufacturer, or not. Exclude SIG, or other hated brand, from your consideration.
    2. Determine if you want to do competitive shooting, defensive shooting, or both.
    3. If you want to do competition, buy a 2011, CZ or 320 Legion, depending on the division.
    4. If this is carry / defensive, determine what else might be important for you besides the action. Such things may include size, "ecosystem" (in plain English range of sizes in the same caliber from the same manufacturer), ability to mount optics (in plain English no hammer fired HKs unless you want to pay arm and leg), manual safety option (no Glock), internal complexity vs simplicity, ammo restrictions, testing by independent entities, etc.
    5. Five people can shoot LEM fast. If you have aspirations of shooting fast, don't pick LEM.
    6. By now the choice will be rather limited.

Seriously, the action should be near your last selection point unless you insist on hammer fired. I prefer a good DA/SA over everything and I have no DA/SA carry guns because all other aspects that are important to me are not met in current DA/SA lineups.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Easy 5 steps.
    1. Determine if you hate SIG, or any other manufacturer, or not. Exclude SIG, or other hated brand, from your consideration.
    2. Determine if you want to do competitive shooting, defensive shooting, or both.
    3. If you want to do competition, buy a 2011, CZ or 320 Legion, depending on the division.
    4. If this is carry / defensive, determine what else might be important for you besides the action. Such things may include size, "ecosystem" (in plain English range of sizes in the same caliber from the same manufacturer), ability to mount optics (in plain English no hammer fired HKs unless you want to pay arm and leg), manual safety option (no Glock), internal complexity vs simplicity, ammo restrictions, testing by independent entities, etc.
    5. Five people can shoot LEM fast. If you have aspirations of shooting fast, don't pick LEM.
    6. By now the choice will be rather limited.
    Lol at 5 people cna shoot LEM fast. I am not one of them lol

Site Supporter
    I got some Glocks and quit screwing around.

I also love S&W revolvers. I carry Jframes and/or a g26, and if I compete at a match, it’s a Kframe or G19x.

Life is simple and shooting is about improving my performance, not fussing around with different guns.

I still have some favorite TDA guns - 92A1 and a box of magazines, 2 3rd Gen S&Ws - but don’t carry them or shoot them often. I keep them because I don’t want to sell them, but if I needed the money, they would go and I’d be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Easy 5 steps.

Seriously, the action should be near your last selection point unless you insist on hammer fired. I prefer a good DA/SA over everything and I have no DA/SA carry guns because all other aspects that are important to me are not met in current DA/SA lineups.
    LOL @ 5. I am def not dead set on hammer-fired or DA/SA, just kinda of sold on the safety advantages of a heavy/long pull. I will say that it is not fun finding light bearing holsters for the P01 and PX4. The G19 has so many "ready to ship" options readily available, no comparison here.

Site Supporter
    Thanks for the feedback. I am not doing all the things you suggest, but would love to practice more seriously with a single platform. The problem is that I cannot choose! I have only committed to a round (9mm), but other than that I'm all over the place. I live in CA so my choices are limited to the dreaded handgun roster...wait, maybe that's a good thing for me!
    On one hand, I like the G19 because it is so versatile and I don't need a smith for it. On the other hand it is not sexy or fun to shoot like a CZ P01. Although striker fired pistols are so simple, I love the additional margin of safety that a long/heavy pull affords.

How'd you land on striker-fired as your preferred action? I'm kind of leaning towards picking the HK LEM system as my "serious" platform. I have never owned a LEM or HK before....would this be a bad choice? Is going DA/SA or striker better? Around and around I go...
    My Agency issues P320s and the only authorized alternative is Glocks. Prior to the P320s I chose to carry a G17 for 8 years instead of the issued P229R .40 cal DAK. The Glock was faster to shoot accurately, held more rounds and was lighter than the P229. Timers and targets don't lie.

Prior to that 8 years with our then issued HK USP Compact LEM. @YVK's comment about LEM is spot on.

I would suggest either a striker platform or a DA/SA. They give you more options. Either can be shot at a high level with appropriate effort. LEM is something of an evolutionary dead end and apparently most of the HK USP series was just removed from the CA Roster so....

Polymer frame guns are lighter and easier to carry. If you don't or can't carry, metal framed guns are easier to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    My Agency issues P320s and the only authorized alternative is Glocks. Prior to the P320s I chose to carry a G17 for 8 years instead of the issued P229R .40 cal DAK. The Glock was faster to shoot accurately, held more rounds and was lighter than the P229. Timers and targets don't lie.

Prior to that 8 years with our then issued HK USP Compact LEM. @YVK's comment about LEM is spot on.

I would suggest either a striker platform or a DA/SA. They give you more options. Either can be shot at a high level with appropriate effort. LEM is something of an evolutionary dead end and apparently most of the HK USP series was just removed from the CA Roster so....

Polymer frame guns are lighter and easier to carry. If you don't or can't carry, metal framed guns are easier to shoot.
    Thank you for sharing your experience, that is great feedback. Yes, the USPs were just removed from the roster here, the P2000s are (for now) still "approved". From what I'm gathering it seems that it is more difficult to become proficient (and maintain proficiency) with LEM than with DA/SA?

From what I'm gathering it seems that it is more difficult to become proficient (and maintain proficiency) with LEM than with DA/SA?
    That was my conclusion after 5-6 years behind LEM ended up in going to DA/SA. The caveat here is that DA shouldn't suck that bad, and trigger reach to a DA shot position should not be excessive for shooter's hands.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Site Supporter
    That you live in CA makes the choice easy. Take the HK or Beretta PX4 CC or if you can shoot it, a G26. Their CA complaint OEM mags are proven to be reliable. Not sure about the CZ mags. The CA version G19 mags are not reliable. I would, if you have the needed time and ammo, develop a realistic (for your needs) list of pistol capabilities and attributes, performance standards and then shoot the PX4, HK, and G26 on the timer using a ealistic (for your needs) CoF before making the choice. Would a J frame/LCR cover your needs? All of the pistols you mentioned (with reliable mags) will work and are mechanically accurate. Choose one pistil and train. With effective training you will gain proficiency with whatever you choose.
    Last edited by Jason M; 05-12-2022 at 04:20 AM.
    "Knowledge is good." Emil Faber, date unknown.

User Tag List