Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: University of Virginia Cancels 21-Gun Salute to Appease Snowflake Students

Meanwhile at my daughter's alma mater.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    I love learning, but I assume if you have a degree, you lack wisdom. The higher the degree, the more foolish you are likely to be.

It scares me that so many people go to college.

Yes I have a degree. Besides Spanish, it was an absolute waste of time.
    Yes and no. By and large, I completely agree with you, but there are times when having a piece of paper with your name on it opens doors that otherwise would be completely shut to you. I would not have gotten my current job without at least a bachelor's. Having a master's meant that I instantly earned $12k more a year because reasons. Not at all saying that's right, or the way the world should operate, but it is sometimes how the world operates.

I worked in university administration for over 5 years before recently doing a complete 180 and radically changing career paths. A bachelor's degree means absolutely nothing to me unless it was in a stem major and they had a solid gpa. I saw way to many kids stumble through 4 years and walk across a stage to place much value in what they mean. I've also hired and trained recent grads and many were worthless. No work ethic. I would hire a middle aged person with 20 years of real world life experience any day over a recent grad with a bachelor's degree in fluff.

I would say that incurring major debt to get a degree is extremely foolish unless it's a sure thing it's going to pay off ie. an M.D. or something. I was paid to go to school for undergrad (ROTC scholarship) and as a university employee, my masters was free. I have absolutely no regrets, but I also have absolutely no education incurred debt, so my degrees have only been to my benefit.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by VT1032; 11-13-2019 at 08:37 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Unisaw View Post
    The leftists are in full control of Mr. Jefferson's university.
    Seems like the norm for all Ivy league schools now. UVA held out longer than others.

User Tag List