Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Duty-Grade LPVO at a Budget

One idea I'd like to explore further is the funky idea that is the Leupold DEVO. I find the idea of the backup magnified scope quite interesting. Sort of the reversed decision of a high powered scope with something like an RMR or T2 set above or off to one side.

Problems are cost and size. Could Leupold do something similar in 4x and make it a bit smaller? Plus at $700 (before adding red dot) or whatever the going rate is a person can get a Steiner or even a Vortex or VX6.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Duty-Grade LPVO at a Budget

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Except the magnifier is in the way when folded to the side and is easy to snag, bump, bang and ram against stuff. And taking the optic off and carrying it off the gun pretty much negates anything it might offer. Might as well carry a set of 8x22 binos in that case.

While the red dot and/or clip-on magnifier aren't obsolete and do offer some benefit they are an evolutionary dead end just as the 3x or 4x scope is.

This isn't true with the Unity Tactical FAST mounts. The magnifier flips down to the center rail and your sight line to the dot is directly over the magnifier.

I'm running LPVOs on my 16" guns, but wanted to stick with a dot for my SBR and found this to be an excellent option to still allow for magnification in case I do need it. There are still some things that are just easier/faster with a dot and the trade offs are worth it on this platform since it is unlikely to ever be used past 100 yards.

Last edited by dontshakepandas; 01-12-2020 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    This isn't true with the Unity Tactical FAST mounts. The magnifier flips down to the center rail and your sight line to the dot is directly over the magnifier.
    I've seen that mount but never used it. Cheek weld looks more like chin weld.

I've seen that mount but never used it. Cheek weld looks more like chin weld.

It is tall, but still very easy to be consistent for me. I definitely wouldn’t want an LPVO that high, but with the dot I barely notice the difference and the heads up shooting position has its own benefits.

I’ve heard it is even more useful for the cool kids with night vision, but that game is out of my price range.

Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post

I’ve heard it is even more useful for the cool kids with night vision, but that game is out of my price range.

That's where I've seen it used. Doesn't Unity actually market it as a riser for NV use?

What's the offset do for shooting stuff like rollover prone? Does it cause any issues?

That's where I've seen it used. Doesn't Unity actually market it as a riser for NV use?

What's the offset do for shooting stuff like rollover prone? Does it cause any issues?

They do push that feature pretty heavily, but also push it for gas masks or even just electronic hearing protection which can benefit most shooters.

Unfortunately, I don’t have access to a range where I can shoot rifle calibers in positions other than standing or sitting, but there is more offset to deal with even in an upright position.

Like anything else, it has its tradeoffs and isn’t for everyone or every situation, but I think the idea has breathed some new life into the dot + magnifier option.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Rebranded Accupowers, which Trijicon imports from Japan
    That’s normal, LOW builds scopes for a lot of manufacturers.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    That’s normal, LOW builds scopes for a lot of manufacturers.
    I guess what I really meant to say is that I can't tell what's different about these scopes and the Accupowers that look so similar. At least not from what I can see on Trijicon's website.

Except the magnifier is in the way when folded to the side and is easy to snag, bump, bang and ram against stuff. And taking the optic off and carrying it off the gun pretty much negates anything it might offer. Might as well carry a set of 8x22 binos in that case.

While the red dot and/or clip-on magnifier aren't obsolete and do offer some benefit they are an evolutionary dead end just as the 3x or 4x scope is.

I hate to have to tell these two that they were taken with such a poor equipment choice.

They are joy alone...
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

User Tag List