Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Palmetto is still stupid cheap

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    Yeah, I was about to say pretty much this. I managed to snag a 550C at a gun show this weekend for $390 and a set of 9mm Dillon carbide dies for $65. As soon as I get a bench built it’s getting mounted and prepped for all my brass that’s getting cleaned up right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A 550 is a good press, I used one for about 14-15 years, I still use it to load .44mag, .38, and things like 30-06, 6.5x55, for $390 you did good assuming it came with all the stuff it's supposed to.. large and small primer pickup tubes, large and small primer drop tubes, large and small primer bars, at least one tool head, and the little thingy that you use to index the shellplate, and the aluminium cup to catch spent primers. And don't forget you can put a casefeeder on a 550, but there is a drawback...If you plan to load rifle cases on this press forget about the casefeeder, I asked dillon about this before and they told me that it takes about an hour to install the casefeeder and to adjust it all up. If you want to load rifle calibers, you'll have to take it all off.. The strong mount? That's up to you..I loaded on the 550 sitting down, and it worked fine. I rigged a bbq light up on the press, so I could see if the cases had powder in them before I seated a bullet. With the 650's I went with the strong mount and the bullet trays, and a powder check on my 9mm and .223 toolheads. You have to stand to load with this type of mount, but it works fine, I was kinda worried about this at first, because I have a knee replacement in my right knee, it turned out to be a non- issue..The roller handle, especially on a 650, is nice,too..
    Last edited by ralph; 08-12-2019 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    Stock up on ammo. The bullshit is California about buying ammo will spread. How much ammo is a personal question. Personally I would like a hidden bunker big enough to hold several conexes of ammo. Imagine an AHA for an infantry company.
    A good rule of thumb is if your floor can support the weight of your ammo cache, you don't have enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Site Supporter
    I recently got a PSA "FN barrel" 5.56 14.5 in pinned to 16 in upper. Very happy.

Man, I just clicked on this thread. 1993 called: they want their ammo prices back...
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Thinking about where to deploy resources, if anywhere, I typed out the following questions for further contemplation:

• What is the relative value of stockpiling XM193 and 9mm FMJ vs. using the Dillon to assemble higher-quality (more accurate) feed even in service calibers?

• e.g. - What is relative value/accuracy of a bulk bullet / BTHP / bonded SP load worked up for accuracy with TAC or similar and assembled in volume vs. random XM193 results?

• How much shooting/training will you do where accuracy better than XM193 will matter?

• What is the ammo sensitivity of your pistols? Can you assemble ammo that is usefully more accurate in your hands for reasonable cost?

• Assume time and money are limited, and contemplate opportunity cost.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Thinking about where to deploy resources, if anywhere, I typed out the following questions for further contemplation:

• What is the relative value of stockpiling XM193 and 9mm FMJ vs. using the Dillon to assemble higher-quality (more accurate) feed even in service calibers?

• e.g. - What is relative value/accuracy of a bulk bullet / BTHP / bonded SP load worked up for accuracy with TAC or similar and assembled in volume vs. random XM193 results?

• How much shooting/training will you do where accuracy better than XM193 will matter?

• What is the ammo sensitivity of your pistols? Can you assemble ammo that is usefully more accurate in your hands for reasonable cost?

• Assume time and money are limited, and contemplate opportunity cost.
    This is why I haven’t loaded a 9mm round in nearly 3 years: cases go for cheap enough that I can’t justify the time. I load for hunting rifles, and 5.56 accuracy loads, and .38/.357. I have loaded tons of 9mm in the past, but back when WalMart sold 100rds of WWB for <$10, I didn’t bother. Even though it’s a lot more than that now, as time got more limited, I started buying 9mm ball by the case instead. Can’t see changing that any time soon, unless training ammo shoots up in price for some reason.

Probably will order another case or two in the near future. And some more cheaper 5.56.

Bought a couple palmetto rifle kits, the upper rail requires a soft mallet to install a magpul MBUS on both, and the midlength 16” barrel won’t cycle anything bellow full power 5.56 (which is primarily all I shoot. But I have some fiochi lying around).

Put a bad taste in my mouth.... are there other recommendations for cheap rifle kits/uppers/lowers? I’ve looked at radical, but have issues with their company. I like Aero, but trying to find closer to palmetto pricing with in-spec guns.

Quote Originally Posted by BK14 View Post
    Bought a couple palmetto rifle kits, the upper rail requires a soft mallet to install a magpul MBUS on both, and the midlength 16” barrel won’t cycle anything bellow full power 5.56 (which is primarily all I shoot. But I have some fiochi lying around).

Put a bad taste in my mouth.... are there other recommendations for cheap rifle kits/uppers/lowers? I’ve looked at radical, but have issues with their company. I like Aero, but trying to find closer to palmetto pricing with in-spec guns.
    Did you contact Palmetto about the function issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BK14 View Post

I actually prefer a more restricted gas system. I want a gun that will work with 5.56, suppressed and unsuppressed. That sometimes comes at the cost of not locking back on empty with low power ammo. I’m ok with that. Way better than an overgassed gun.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I did. They offered to send an RMA to check out the uppers. They recommended I used a rubber mallet for the rear sight....

User Tag List