Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: JJ Racaza

GJM,

Was the course through PFC training (intrawebz show JJ is an instructor there)? What was the title of the course?

Thank's for the very legit review.

Jeremy

Quote Originally Posted by KneeShot View Post
    GJM,

Was the course through PFC training (intrawebz show JJ is an instructor there)? What was the title of the course?

Thank's for the very legit review.

Jeremy
    I don’t think so, as I got a PayPal invoice from JJ’s wife, and I am not familiar with PFC.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

So, I shot my second match today, since the JJ class. I had been traveling all week, and not practicing, and was a little nervous about the match. YVK did his best to talk me off the ledge last night.

In any event, while I was a little off, I finished with the same total time for the match as the GM in Open, who was first pistol. As I walked through stages, the JJ thinking had me doing things differently, which was a good thing. If this trend continues, I will be pleased.

YVK came down to Las Vegas for some warm temps and sunshine today, so he and I could do a private lesson with JJ. Unfortunately, the weather gods didn’t cooperate.

JJ and YVK at the end of the class.

Name:  B986D6C1-3D03-43A1-AAEE-E36C8373732B.jpg
Views: 829
Size:  101.8 KB

Me working fast draws.

Name:  D0953C79-80D6-4ECE-8F3A-027A854DD4F9.jpg
Views: 801
Size:  103.1 KB

After taking a hot shower, watching a show with girls in swimsuits, and downing a couple of drinks I eventually thawed out.

Weather aside, this was a pretty good training. JJ is known for his movement skills, and he says himself that he saw improvement in his movement as a way of keeping up with dudes who shot 10x more rounds than he did. Which is why two less than graceful but still aspiring USPSA shooters like me and GJM found it to be very valuable to spend three hours on various aspects of movement. Owing to GJM driving around with enough shit in his Raptor to set up three level II worthy stages, we were able to use steel too, tightening up the accuracy requirements.
    Private and semi private training is a very expensive treat, and in some cases isn't cost effective. Ultimately I'll be assessing if this training will help me when I see my future results. I can say for sure that it was time effective. Trigger control portion, for example, took about 20 rounds of shooting and JJ saying OK, let's move on, you got it. SOM at 25 yards was another story. Being able to do multiple reps on a short stage that challenged various movements or do multiple reps of various aspects of movements is something you won't do in a group classes. I feel very fortunate that I was able to do this training with JJ. Some of the stuff that I kept on practicing in my own dry and live fire is going to get corrected and to me it is massively valuable to stop ingraing wrong or suboptimal habits, as is the discussion of my personal difficulties and how to address them.
    JJ is an awesome dude, I totally recommend him and I would come back for more.
    Last edited by YVK; 02-24-2018 at 12:25 PM.

Hello,

Very cool thread.

Question: If you are primarily a new-ish self-defense shooter (18 months experience / taking Gabe White's Pistol Solutions in September), would you recommend taking this course or will it be too much?

I saw he is having a class in Gainesville during the weekday in July, I work weekends so never can make classes. Looked like a great opportunity, but don't want to hold the class back if this is a course for B/A/M/GM class shooters.

Thanks for any feedback!

^ addendum: I would be shooting a GLOCK 19.

Quote Originally Posted by Otaku.edc View Post
    Hello,

Very cool thread.

Question: If you are primarily a new-ish self-defense shooter (18 months experience / taking Gabe White's Pistol Solutions in September), would you recommend taking this course or will it be too much?

I saw he is having a class in Gainesville during the weekday in July, I work weekends so never can make classes. Looked like a great opportunity, but don't want to hold the class back if this is a course for B/A/M/GM class shooters.

Thanks for any feedback!
    Are you in Gabe’s Sep 29/30 class in Lakeland FL?

If so I will be there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Otaku.edc View Post
    Hello,

Very cool thread.

Thanks for any feedback!
    I think there is more value in honing some of the fundamental skills, understanding some of the idea in competition, then really going after it with a big-name guy like JJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    I think there is more value in honing some of the fundamental skills, understanding some of the idea in competition, then really going after it with a big-name guy like JJ.
    Thank you for the reply. Understood and sound advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Are you in Gabe’s Sep 29/30 class in Lakeland FL?

If so I will be there as well.
    YES! Cool, my name is Jaycel Adkins. I look forward to training with you Rich.

User Tag List