Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 12 GA Slugs

12 GA Slugs

Is there any particular brands of quality 1oz 12ga slugs that produces less fouling?
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

Federal makes a copper jacketed “deep penetrator” foster type slug that may create less fouling. I just bought some but haven’t fired any yet.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

I found the Fed TruBall deep penetrator to be pretty punishing. I mostly run the reduced recoil Slugger because it’s easier to shoot and still makes a big hole. I guess it depends what you want that slug to do.

From worst fouling to least:

Federal Truball Full Power---The ball pushes the side-skirts of the soft slug into the barrel wall at around 1450-1500fps. It galls huge wads of lead off and deposits them onto the bore.
    Federal Truball LR---Similar story, less anger.
    Remington Slugger/Federal Hydrashok Full Power/Winchester Full power---The velocity leads the barrel up pretty good, but not as bad as the Truball architecture.
    Remington Slugger and Hydrashok LR---Really not bad, but yes, some leading will occur. The 1100-1250fps velocity keeps it down, though.
    Brenneke Classic Magnum and other un-coated slugs with hardened alloy---Harder. Smears less lead off. No mechanical design exacerbating leading like the Truball.
    Federal DPRS and Brenneke coated slugs---You will get some color or some copper on the bore, but that's mostly it. These slugs use a coating and are of a hard alloy, and this offsets the Truball mechanical cause of fouling by and large.

Just my .02 having shot all of this stuff a fair bit. I personally prefer Federal Hydrashok LR slugs. They expand well, but don't lose integrity in either the FBI testing or my water-jug shootouts, they don't foul badly, they are decently accurate (2/3 IPSC steel out to about 75m, but after t hat most LR slugs kindof fall apart accuracy wise IME.) The shell head is actual brass, not a copper washed steel. The interior of the shot-shell contains non-hydroscopic and non-swelling material (plastic, instead of fiber wad, etc).

Duty slugs for many years were Truball low recoil, and they do lead the barrel quite badly -- but a great head start on cleaning is to shoot a bunch of Flitecontrol buck after the slugs. The wad scrubs a lot of lead from the barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    From worst fouling to least:

Federal Truball Full Power---The ball pushes the side-skirts of the soft slug into the barrel wall at around 1450-1500fps. It galls huge wads of lead off and deposits them onto the bore.
    Federal Truball LR---Similar story, less anger.
    Remington Slugger/Federal Hydrashok Full Power/Winchester Full power---The velocity leads the barrel up pretty good, but not as bad as the Truball architecture.
    Remington Slugger and Hydrashok LR---Really not bad, but yes, some leading will occur. The 1100-1250fps velocity keeps it down, though.
    Brenneke Classic Magnum and other un-coated slugs with hardened alloy---Harder. Smears less lead off. No mechanical design exacerbating leading like the Truball.
    Federal DPRS and Brenneke coated slugs---You will get some color or some copper on the bore, but that's mostly it. These slugs use a coating and are of a hard alloy, and this offsets the Truball mechanical cause of fouling by and large.

Just my .02 having shot all of this stuff a fair bit. I personally prefer Federal Hydrashok LR slugs. They expand well, but don't lose integrity in either the FBI testing or my water-jug shootouts, they don't foul badly, they are decently accurate (2/3 IPSC steel out to about 75m, but after t hat most LR slugs kindof fall apart accuracy wise IME.) The shell head is actual brass, not a copper washed steel. The interior of the shot-shell contains non-hydroscopic and non-swelling material (plastic, instead of fiber wad, etc).
    This is a great post.

Have you any experience with Brenneke's new TOPAZ sabot? I've just seen pictures but the sabot sleeve looks like a FC wad. I'd imagine it packs a wallop on both ends at 1600 fps.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    This is a great post.

Have you any experience with Brenneke's new TOPAZ sabot? I've just seen pictures but the sabot sleeve looks like a FC wad. I'd imagine it packs a wallop on both ends at 1600 fps.

I have no experience with it. Typically, sabot slugs do best from rifled barrels, although many have pressed them into service with non-rifled barrels, they are meant to be spin-stabilized instead of weight-forward. I was not able to gather from Brenneke's website what the intent of the slug was (rifled/smooth), but it LOOKS like it may be intended for a smooth bore? The design looks like it would foul very similar to bird shot (plastic wadding), but the wad does not look like FC, as I see no rear-braking. Further, it appears it is meant to remain attached to the slug until (beyond?) target impact. This article indicates it is meant for smooth bore, as well as rifled.
    https://www.gunsweek.com/en/ammuniti...-speed-hunting

As best I can tell, the wad is meant to stay WITH the slug until (beyond?) impact. This will remove my #1 complaint about Brenneke ammunition, which is that it behaves very erratically past 50m if the wadding separates from the slug, which I have found it to do with alarming regularity when using some rounds, such as the "Orange Slug", while other offerings like the Classic Magnum are very accurate.

At the velocities stated, and weight stated, this is a full-power hunting round, and I expect flash and concussion to be...impressive. Recoil has never bothered me from the Benelli M4 platform, and this doesn't look to be a bruiser, really, given the 300ish gr slug weight (presume around 400-450gr for the whole launched portion, with wad, I'm guessing).

*I have ordered 50 TOPAS slugs for T&E.
    Last edited by Unobtanium; 06-19-2022 at 05:59 PM.

Looks like the the Federal Hydrashok LR slugs are nowhere to be found...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Blackburn View Post
    Looks like the the Federal Hydrashok LR slugs are nowhere to be found...
    https://www.bonefroggunclub.com/prod...31422481170501

Those aren't the low recoil though.

User Tag List