Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Could use some help on .44 Special mild loads.

I tend to favor 900 to 1000fps but have loaded a few ight loads for my GP100s. I had a bunch of 210gr RNFP from SNS Casting and have used 5gr of HP38 for about 725fps. 5gr of Trialboss gets about the same, possibly just a hair more. I have loaded what was known as a galley load using .430/.433 round balls over 3.2gr of Unique for about 500fps. These are really low pressure and may back the primer out. If that happens you can enlarge the flash hole. Its a dirty load but fun for the women, children and those that are still a child at heart.

Forget the Special cases. A 240/250 grain bullet, over 9 grains of Power Pistol, in a Magnum case, is what you want. It clocks at 950ish fps from my 4" 29. It's accurate, burns clean, doesn't beat you or the gun up. It won't leave carbon in your chambers like using Special cases will. It's also enough to drop a bull elk. I've dropped Unique and everything else and it's now my do everything load for the .44 Magnum.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Forget the Special cases. A 240/250 grain bullet, over 9 grains of Power Pistol, in a Magnum case, is what you want. It clocks at 950ish fps from my 4" 29. It's accurate, burns clean, doesn't beat you or the gun up. It won't leave carbon in your chambers like using Special cases will. It's also enough to drop a bull elk. I've dropped Unique and everything else and it's now my do everything load for the .44 Magnum.
    Good point about the Special cases.

Site Supporter
    Good that you mentioned this. I have used seven grains of WST in Magnum cases behind a 240 grain cast bullet for about 850 fps out of my 3" M29. I imagine that using BE-86, which I have several pounds of, would be a comparable load to yours using PP when I exhaust my supply of WST.

Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    I imagine that using BE-86, which I have several pounds of, would be a comparable load to yours using PP when I exhaust my supply of WST.
    BE-86 has become my go to in 10mm and 9mm with cast or jacketed. I recently bought a 432-255 SWC mold from NOE and was contemplating about using BE-86 in my .44 loads as I’m low on Unique. I’m curious as to how it performs in low to mid range loadings. Alliant’s data looks a little peppy

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    BE-86 has become my go to in 10mm and 9mm with cast or jacketed. I recently bought a 432-255 SWC mold from NOE and was contemplating about using BE-86 in my .44 loads as I’m low on Unique. I’m curious as to how it performs in low to mid range loadings. Alliant’s data looks a little peppy
    BE-86 is all I use in 9mm and .45acp now. I haven't shot any .44s since the craziness began, but eventually I'll try it there.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    Red Dot, Green Dot, Bullseye, and Win 231 will produce the 44 velocities sought by the op. I listed these powders if he can't find other powders. They will work in mag or special cases. Trooper has an excellent load.

The beauty of the 44 mag is the versatility. It can be a 44 special if you want it to be. Powder is the key here. Red Dot, Green Dot and Unique will all get you reduced velocity loads. I don't have any experience with PP but it might be better just on the fact that it fills the case a little more.

I load .357 for about 900 fps. The case doesn't matter there either.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    You might need a shorter front sight for special loads.
    Wait, my light loads always shoot high. Am I doing something wrong?

When we were shooting cowboy, I loaded 6.2 of Unique over a 200 grain round nose flat point lead bullet. It shoots really soft out of my Rossi carbine and Vaquero. Then there was the load with 25 grains of Pyrodex P over the same bullet. I think that might have duplicated the original 44 Russian load. 44 Special brass for all the loads.

User Tag List