Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me choose a revolver.

Man, I wish you lived closer. I’d take you to the range and just let you decide there.

For pure shooting, the King is hard to beat. That said, I’m looking at the Night on my desk right now. I am comfortable with 6 135 GDHP +Ps out of these guns. Keep in mind that you are pretty much stuck with SP 101 leather for these guns for now; there’s just not that much kydex support out there. The K6 has way more options—odd, but true—although the 3" is harder to find kydex for.

I’ll be the voice of dissent on the K-frame: all three of the guns you are looking at are noticeably smaller than a K-frame. And I was a die-hard K frame guy for 3 decades, mind. There are *plenty* of posts here with me bragging on them. There’s just no getting around the fact that my 3" RB model 65-3 makes both Colts and the K6 look absolutely svelte, though. I see all three of your contenders as being in a different size category that splits between K and J, but actually leans a hair closer to the J. JMO, but as you know, I’ve compared ‘em all directly.

Lastly, I know that Kimber CS is reputed to suck, but at least they’ve fixed the couple of P-Fer owned K6s that broke, and upgraded the design; that’s a lot more than I can say for my last S&W buy. That’s “last" as in: both the last one I bought AND the last one I will buy; I’m done sending S&W wheelies back to S&W more than once, with no joy received.

I don’t have a ton of rounds through my King, but right now the only thing keeping me from being married to the King Cobra is the glare coming off the back of the frame curve that washes out the rear sight. If I can get that sorted, it’ll be the one for belt wheelies.

Right now it’s the Night Cobra.

JMO, OMMV, etc.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    I don’t have a new Colt, so...

Colt DS over a 3” M65

Colt DS over a 3” M60

3” M60 over a 3” M65

Obviously, thickness and weight are factors, as well. But with a decent holster, a larger gun is doable.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

As Steph said, I really like my new 2.75" m66-8. If you're looking for a smaller gun than the Colt or Kimber would be better. For me it's the perfect size.

In a medium frame revolver, current production, you'd be hard pressed to beat the S&W M66 2.75" or a 3" Ruger GP100--assuming, in both instances, that you get a good gun from the factory.

#threadsuxwithoutmorepics
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I was pretty comfortable chilling around the house with a 4" gun. Now that I nipped an inch off my holster it's even more so. This gun shoots good and handles well. I added a meprolite front sight, a fixed rear, a lock plug, and VZ grips.
    Name:  Resized_20190603_171019.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  100.1 KBName:  KIMG1316.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  62.0 KB

A 3" wc gp100 would be a great option too.

I'd carefully quantify specifically in your own mind why you need a sub-4" tube. Weight- and carry-wise, you've got an excellent revolver in hand, in your Security Six. It's smaller and lighter than a GP100, and very easy in my experience to pack and handle.

Not that everyone else hasn't come up with excellent alternatives for you, but sometimes a software assessment and adjustment is preferable (and less expensive) than a hardware one.

Of course, if you just want an new revo, or want to 'speriment, that's certainly fine too.

Best, Jon

Or, alternatively, you could probably find a used Speed Six with a 2.75" barrel in excellent condition in stainless steel for considerably less than a comparable BNIB Colt King Cobra with a 3" tube. I've really liked the triggerpulls of the 2 King Cobras that I've handled. along with the overall package, but I still have not been able to definitively ascertain if the action components are thorough-hardened or merely surface-hardened as were its predecessors with similar lockwork, which is a crucial decision-point for me; if the parts are merely surface-hardened, about the only thing possible to do action-wise would be spring replacement/tuning.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 06-11-2019 at 10:39 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Or, alternatively, you could probably find a used Speed Six with a 2.75" barrel in excellent condition in stainless steel for considerably less than a comparable BNIB Colt King Cobra with a 3" tube. I've really liked the triggerpulls of the 2 King Cobras that I've handled. along with the overall package, but I still have not been able to definitively ascertain if the action components are thorough-hardened or merely surface-hardened as were its predecessors with similar lockwork, which is a crucial decision-point for me; if the parts are merely surface-hardened, about the only thing possible to do action-wise would be spring replacement/tuning.

Best, Jon
    The blues ones work too.

Name:  97255C66-9484-41B7-AC1B-3967175A6882.jpeg
Views: 820
Size:  45.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The blues ones work too.

Name:  97255C66-9484-41B7-AC1B-3967175A6882.jpeg
Views: 820
Size:  45.0 KB
    Yup!

Best, Jon