Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me choose a revolver.

Site Supporter

Help me choose a revolver.

As the thread title states, help me choose a revolver. The role this gun will play is my main off duty carry piece.

My duty gun is a Gen3 RTF Glock 17 with a NY1 trigger. I tried a G26, but just do not like how it carries or handles for me.

The revolvers I am considering are:

Colt Night Cobra
    Colt Kimber Cobra 3"
    Kimber K6 DASA.

The Night Cobra can be had for under $600, where the King Cobra and K6 are closer to $800.

The advantage to the King Cobra and the K6 is the ability to use .357. This could then double as a hiking gun. The K6 also has real sights.

The Night Cobra is already setup for DAO (I want a hammer), and I liked the blacked out rear for a gutter sight.

A wildcard option is to send one of my Security Sixes of for gunsmithing. Having the barrel cut down, refinished, checked for any needed tune ups. The down side I see to this is lack of factory support if the gun breaks. Plus even cut down to a shorter barrel, I would think it's still heavier than my other options.

Any input would be appreciated. Even if it's to tell me I am overthinking it or having the wrong idea.
    Last edited by TheNewbie; 06-10-2019 at 06:01 AM.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    How are you planning to carry it? Pocket, AIWB, IWB, OWB?

I assume that you know that perceived recoil in a revolver has a lot to do with the grips, the weight of the gun and the chosen cartridge. With that in mind, I'm going to opine that I'd not want to shoot .357s out of a J-frame lighter than a Model 60 and, if you're planning to shoot Magnums, the juice is not with the squeeze out of a short-barreled gun.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    How are you planning to carry it? Pocket, AIWB, IWB, OWB?

I assume that you know that perceived recoil in a revolver has a lot to do with the grips, the weight of the gun and the chosen cartridge. With that in mind, I'm going to opine that I'd not want to shoot .357s out of a J-frame lighter than a Model 60 and, if you're planning to shoot Magnums, the juice is not with the squeeze out of a short-barreled gun.

Mainly a belt gun.

I have a j frame, but the bigger guns give me an extra round, maybe better sights, and better shootability.

I agree with you about .357 out of anything too light. +P 158 grain out of my 637 gets old quick .

The magnum option is really just to have it there. Not a deal
    Breaker.
    Last edited by TheNewbie; 06-10-2019 at 07:23 AM.

K-6 would be my choice and I don't own anything but Colts and Smiths.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

New S&W 66 (10061) 2.75”

More svelte K frame close in size to the Colt and Kimber cylinder diameter. Apex sells a DAO hammer kit. Easy to replace front sight with plenty of options. Cylinder & Slide, D&L Sports and Hamilton Bowen all make severe duty rear sights for the K.

Your Security Six is no longer readily repairable. It it breaks Ruger will replace it with a GP100.

Kimber has a long history of terrible CS.

I was unimpressed with the Night Cobra I handled.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    New S&W 66 (10061) 2.75”

More svelte K frame close in size to the Colt and Kimber cylinder diameter. Apex sells a DAO hammer kit. Easy to replace front sight with plenty of options. Cylinder & Slide, D&L Sports and Hamilton Bowen all make severe duty rear sights for the K.

Your Security Six is no longer readily repairable. It it breaks Ruger will replace it with a GP100.

I concur, if it's going to be a belt gun you'd be better off going with a 2.75 K-frame or something along those lines. I had a K6 as a rental on a range and it died real quick.

Site Supporter
    New S&W 66 (10061) 2.75”

Unfortunately Ruger only offers a discount for sending your Security Six in. It’s not even that good of a deal.

What did you not like about the Night Cobra?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Unfortunately Ruger only offers a discount for sending your Security Six in. It’s not even that good of a deal.

What did you not like about the Night Cobra?
    Wow. They were replacing them just a few years ago.

The trigger stacked. Finish was ok. IDK. I just was disappointed with the overall package vs price. I owned an Agent years ago. Maybe that made me expect more.
    Last edited by Hizzie; 06-10-2019 at 10:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

New S&W 66 (10061) 2.75”
    Apex sells a DAO hammer kit. Easy to replace front sight with plenty of options. Cylinder & Slide … severe duty rear sight
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    I concur, if it's going to be a belt gun you'd be better off going with a 2.75 K-frame or something along those lines.
    I also want one of these, for reasons that are hard to rationalize. I want to try the Apex hammer. I also have a 4.25" M-69 with the C&S rear sight and a HiViz over molded front green FO, and I think the 2.75" M-66 would make a neat companion.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    New S&W 66 (10061) 2.75”
    @03RN bought a used 66-8 with that barrel. He seems to like it.

For a belt gun, that's a good choice. The older 3" K-frames are appreciating in price to the point that a newer (MIM, IL) gun is worth considering. Plus, for those that care abut such things, they're fully supported by the factory. A 2.75/3" K frame is doable AIWB.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List