Page 20 of 54 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: If you were going to run 10k carrying rifle, pistol, ammo, how would you do it?

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I'm not saying anything to the contrary. My point was that I don't think a camelbak is all that useful for an event like this, because you will likely have some down time at the stages and can drink then. You likely don't need to drink on the go, so I'm carrying an actual pack, rather than a hydration pack. All of this is "likely", because I don't know for sure. I do know about proper hydration, and how to accomplish it. Whether the event allows that to happen in an ideal way or not, I don't know, but I do think it is likely to allow it.

Water is essential. Drinking every 5 minutes during a race is not the best way to go, imo. That was all, certainly not a comment on what happened to you last summer. I well remember reading about it, and as I think I said then, you did well to not quit. I'm sure it made a strong impression on you.
    In haste I think I misunderstood your post. For a moment I thought you weren't planning on carrying water. And I agree, drinking every 5 minutes isn't a good strategy. Every 30-60 minutes depending on the individual should suffice.

As a general warning I'd recommend you guys bring food. You could start at 9am or 1pm. If you start late you'll want to keep your body fuelled up and ready to go.

I ate a light breakfast in the summer in anticipation of a 9AM start. Fortunately I had some trail mix in the car, but the high fat/fiber stuff isn't what I'd generally eat before a run.
    Last edited by littlejerry; 01-25-2016 at 02:11 PM.

A few more things...

Be sure to bring chairs or even cots since there's no place to rest. Maybe some reading material or something to pass time in case you have to wait several hours to run. Also, there will be one portajohn and it'll get rank quick.

I'm bringing an assortment of clothes. One set for a cold early start and another for a late warm start and of course my favorite overalls to change into when it's all over.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Sunscreen. Don't forget to slap on some sunscreen! Also, maybe bring a Zyrtec or Claritin to pop if you've got allergies. Warm weather and south wind seem to stir them up.

Quote Originally Posted by FOG View Post
    I'm bringing an assortment of clothes. One set for a cold early start and another for a late warm start and of course my favorite overalls to change into when it's all over.
    I think that's looking like a good plan.

Today's weather was gorgeous... Current forecast for Saturday calls for 67, partly cloudy, 14-20mph SSE wind. The low Friday night is 36 though, so 0800 will be pretty chilly!

Name:  12565617_10208710874629678_1746266390900306582_n.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  46.6 KB
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Strategy hint ... remember, from the time you start to the time you finish, your either on run time or shooting time (unless there's a wait at a stage). Your transitions from run-to-shoot and shoot - to-run modes are crucial. Get your crap in order as you approach the stage, show a clear rifle, ask for a quick COF and get to shooting ASAP. Once finished, gather up mags, get your score sheet and hit the trail ASAP. The RO'S may want to chat ... that stuff can wait until the race is over.

If you're just in it to finish (nothing wrong with that BTW) disregard all of the above.

Last instruction, look for this lil bearded guy and come say hi. Good luck boys.

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1454033495370.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  11.9 KB

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

SLG's thought process during the award ceremony: "Man, I'm so out of shape, I'd be surprised if I placed. Oh, Bratch got 3rd, pretty sure I didn't get 2nd or 1st. Oh, random guy got 2nd, no way I got 1st. Oh, I got first, how surprising."

The rest of us: "Oh, Bratch got 3rd, SLG must have gotten 2nd or 1st. Oh, he didn't get 2nd, must have gotten 1st. Yep, he got 1st."

So, congrats to SLG and Bratch, looks like PF made a strong showing for the 10k placements. Times should be up by tomorrow night, so I can see how much I sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    SLG's thought process during the award ceremony: "Man, I'm so out of shape, I'd be surprised if I placed. Oh, Bratch got 3rd, pretty sure I didn't get 2nd or 1st. Oh, random guy got 2nd, no way I got 1st. Oh, I got first, how surprising."

The rest of us: "Oh, Bratch got 3rd, SLG must have gotten 2nd or 1st. Oh, he didn't get 2nd, must have gotten 1st. Yep, he got 1st."

So, congrats to SLG and Bratch, looks like PF made a strong showing for the 10k placements. Times should be up by tomorrow night, so I can see how much I sucked.
    I can't really say that was unexpected. .

Nice job, S.

Thanks very much!

It was a very good time, and it was great to meet and hang out with Loknload, Bratch, Default, FOG and a brief cameo by Littlejerry.

P-F dudes are good guys, and of course, funny in person. They reminded me of hanging with my friends at work, which is definitely a compliment.

Maybe next year we can get even more guys to turn out for it.

Also, don't forget the Tac-5 Challenge!

It was good getting to meet everyone. We couldn't ask for a better day, the weather was awesome.

Nice going to all PFers who competed, and congratulations to SLG on the win. Looking forward to the AARs, if there are any forthcoming.

RE: Tac5, a few buddies and I are planning on making it. It would be a shame if a Missourian managed a repeat win in God's Country!
    You don't gotta love it. You just gotta do it.

The scores are up now (http://www.okrunngun.com/#!scores/c1x9v), although I'm super confused about how I placed so low on the running; the recorded time doesn't really make sense, as one of the guys I know I passed (the dude that placed 1st in the Mil-surp challenge) somehow has a lower run time than me. Bratch and I were separated by 2 numbers in terms of run order (with me ahead), and he never lapped me, yet he somehow has almost half my time, and I doubt he waited over 60 minutes longer at the stations than me. Mildly disappointing I don't know my real score (or do I really just suck that bad?), but whatevs.

I'd love to make Tac5, but logistics will be tough. How late do sign-ups stay open?

And I guess I'll do an AAR tomorrow or something.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 01-31-2016 at 08:47 PM.

User Tag List