Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Bakersfield PD qual

Note: scoring sizes are the following.

10 ring is 7”

Name:  D8C3F32F-F7DF-4140-8C2A-2B37DDB11CF1.jpg
Views: 811
Size:  45.4 KB

Also note their description of basically hit factor scoring and the choice of people to solve their own problem and how they thought it translated to actual combat.

@Gun Nerd-thank you. I am going to post a 94, as that one round at 20 yards was over in the “rib cage”, not centered.
    Remember, passing was 80 points, so a pass is doable. The gear used-1911 and probably a thumb break holster(I recall seeing the Davis rig back in the day) may be simple this day and time, but those Bakersfield boys(and girls?) were good!
    BTW, I mistyped; it was a GLS paddle holster, unconcealed.
    I’m ok with the notion of adding a bit for concealed (a la Mr. White), but I will try the original times first. A timer may be a bit more accurate-taking out human reaction time-so we’ll see. A Level 3 holster will be challenging for me.
    FWIW, the 2 in 1.5@3 are indexed shots for me. Assessment should be a consideration.
    The more drills/evals the merrier! My interest in this was due to its history and it’s quick with a low round count. A drill coming out of this could be each string repeated until satisfied-then evaluate. The other evals-5YRU, “Wizard”, etc. all have their place as indicators of what to work on.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    I think you’re missing the point.

First: accept that this standard and test was effective for training whereas a number of other tests and drills are not.

Second: the simplicity of the test with the tight time standards is what makes it so. Adding more stuff adds variables and dilutes learning. If you can’t make it simply, you can’t make it with added stuff unless the added stuff has too much time adjustment.
    It’s a very fair point. I guess the question is whether anything else that’s trained needs to be tested, and to what extent the test needs to provide additional reps to reinforce training. A typical pass/fail qual course doesn’t provide much training, while performing 100 one-shot draws isn’t really a test. This course is a little bit of both, and I was thinking about what absolute minimum additions might enhance the training value without too much dilution.

Note: scoring sizes are the following.

10 ring is 7”
    That’s why I went with only scoring 10 for hits completely inside the 8-ring on a B-8. Any 8” circle would do, but the overall area of the repair center (110.25 square inches) is pretty close to the original (117). A B-8 on printer paper is a little smaller (93.5).

It’s not a perfect solution, but it’s an easy “close enough” solution.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    The gear used-1911 and probably a thumb break holster(I recall seeing the Davis rig back in the day) may be simple this day and time, but those Bakersfield boys(and girls?) were good!
    The article stated that they used leather from Milt Sparks.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Nerd View Post
    That’s why I went with only scoring 10 for hits completely inside the 8-ring on a B-8. Any 8” circle would do, but the overall area of the repair center (110.25 square inches) is pretty close to the original (117). A B-8 on printer paper is a little smaller (93.5).

It’s not a perfect solution, but it’s an easy “close enough” solution.
    IDPA
    -0= 10
    -1= 8
    -3= 6
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

My error-thanks for the correction.
    There were “duty” thumb breaks from both makers. I get a little nostalgic for the leather sometimes…

100 points with carry gun… 104 points with hit factor

Ran it twice today with my carry gun P365X (as per the original qualification).

Second run taking all the time was 100 points.

First run shooting at hit factor speed had -5 points but over 2.25 seconds faster.

If you reverse their scoring penalty over time to an under time bonus, it’d be 104 points.

Fixed link

Ran it twice today with my carry gun P365X (as per the original qualification).

Second run taking all the time was 100 points.

First run shooting at hit factor speed had -5 points but over 2.25 seconds faster.

If you reverse their scoring penalty over time to an under time bonus, it’d be 104 points.
    Nice!

So using Karl Rehn’s framework of analyzing drills based on what percentage of GM level skill is needed, this one is pretty easy to rate!

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Nerd View Post
    Nice!

So using Karl Rehn’s framework of analyzing drills based on what percentage of GM level skill is needed, this one is pretty easy to rate!
    Hehe. There’s also the question of how much performance do you lose when going from a duty size gun to a micro compact.

The P365X isn’t the carry gun I shoot the best, but I ran it through its paces and it shoots “good enough” for me.

User Tag List