Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the current Mini-14...

/ thread.

Years ago, I was the not so proud owner of a Mini-14 Ranch rifle. It was minute of barn door accurate, and they're not worth what Ruger is asking for them these days.

Get the Colt 6720. You'll thank us later. If you live in a free state, I cannot fathom what a Mini-14 would do that the Colt 6720 wouldn't do better.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Another advantage to the AR as a car gun is you can break it doe into two pieces and fit them in a normal looking back pack in case you have to walk home but things aren't yet to the "patrolling with an AR" stage.

The side folder option for AR's makes them very compact and quickly usable also.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    S&W M&P Sport AR15, as cheap as a Mini and nearly as good as a Colt AR.
    +1
    That's my economy set up. I threw a vertex crossfire 1-4 with the quick throw lever, magpul short vertical grip and a surefire on it. I love that rifle. Accurate as all hell and after 1000s of rounds not a single malfunction.

Quote Originally Posted by vaglocker View Post
    Of course it's none of my business why you want to carry a long gun but if I'm not prying too much and you're comfortable talking about it what happened?
    I live in a small community about 20 miles north of a major city. The north end of said city, which I have to pass through twice a day when I go "into town", to work or whatever, is felony Indian country. Inside the actual city limits, there is elevated interstate, but the approach and get-on ramp begins at a major intersection, which is a major choke point; IOW, if the natives get restless, it is a perfect place to slow down and ambush yuppie (and not so yuppie) motorists; coming and going. During times of unrest, I always have one of the Colts with me... no way am I going to be the next Reginald Denny.

But things have been quiet for some time now, so I quit carrying it. This morning, on the way into work, I saw a crowd of perhaps 20 or so liberal southern democrats hanging out in the church parking lot on the southeast corner of that intersection; and they weren't waiting to get on a tour bus, if you get my drift. The fact that it was 0545 was another indicator; usually, at that time those folks are crashed somewhere after a night of... doing what they do.

Anyway... it made me realize that I may well likely have no advance warning if the flashpoint occurs. I knew this, but just got complacent.

I don't intend to be complacent anymore.

Thanks for all the responses. The repeated admonitions against the Mini-14 are pretty much what I expected; I appreciate ya'll validating my concerns. And I was amazed by the current prices; indeed, a decent AR carbine can be had for the price of a Mini-14 these days.

My #2 son-in-law has one of those S&W Sport carbines, and it is an okay gun. But my city cop pal here at the lab clued me in to the new Ruger DI AR; with a dealer price of $510, and a local FFL who is into showing love to FROG (Fat Retired Old Guy) cops in my pocket, hmmmmm....

Anyway, an AR carbine is the smarter move, since I've got tons of magazines, etc.

Many thanks for screwing my head back on straight...

In the sort of circumstances you mention, I'd consider a glock 9 with a several 33 rd mags at hand a useful vehicle gun that is potentially instantly usable, even in confined spaces, like inside the vehicle.

Not to discourage a carbine, they can do more, but arent as easily usable on short notice.

My center console is my defacto spare magazine storage area for the g-19. A handful of 15's and a 33. In more civilized areas, some more 33's would be comforting.

An immediate, close-range assault is not my concern; got that covered already.

What I'm thinking about is getting caught in the inevitable traffic snarl that WILL occur, with nowhere to go... as in cannot turn around, turn off to an alternate route, etc. In fact, there IS no alternate route once you pass the second-to-last exit, and what little bit of median there is usually is water-logged/muddy/uncrossable.

And of course the celebrants will begin moving amongst the stalled/trapped vehicles, spreading their exuberance, etc. And FWIW, I am not exercising my imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    I live in a small community about 20 miles north of a major city. The north end of said city, which I have to pass through twice a day when I go "into town", to work or whatever, is felony Indian country. Inside the actual city limits, there is elevated interstate, but the approach and get-on ramp begins at a major intersection, which is a major choke point; IOW, if the natives get restless, it is a perfect place to slow down and ambush yuppie (and not so yuppie) motorists; coming and going. During times of unrest, I always have one of the Colts with me... no way am I going to be the next Reginald Denny.

But things have been quiet for some time now, so I quit carrying it. This morning, on the way into work, I saw a crowd of perhaps 20 or so liberal southern democrats hanging out in the church parking lot on the southeast corner of that intersection; and they weren't waiting to get on a tour bus, if you get my drift. The fact that it was 0545 was another indicator; usually, at that time those folks are crashed somewhere after a night of... doing what they do.

Anyway... it made me realize that I may well likely have no advance warning if the flashpoint occurs. I knew this, but just got complacent.

I don't intend to be complacent anymore.

At 0545 and in a church parking lot, not around a late-hours club? That is not good. Definitely not good. And unless I am mistaken a US Marshal was shot near there last week.

Good luck. Hope they all go back to crashing in the early morning hours.

A Colt 6720 broken down and stashed in a hill people Umlindi seems like a good option. Easy pack to get into and they have a storage pack designed to be added to the outside, that seems like a good thing since the ar 15 will take up much of the main compartment. You could keep a survival kit, med kit, a chest rig, or whatever in the extra storage pack. The pack is also good for blending in an urban environment and also being able to transition in a rural escape/evade situation.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    I don't intend to be complacent anymore..
    Good on you.

User Tag List