Page 22 of 35 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: IDPA - appendix carry?

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post

I would have no problem bringing a Shadow 2 to a class. It’s really no different than the “carry” CZ75B I bought tricked out from CZC.

And as to “carryable” would you be insane for carrying a 1911?

No, then why not a Shadow 2?
    Funny you asked. I carried my 1911, appendix of course, this Saturday. Full sized, all steel, although masterfully lightened by @Ned Christiansen. Only 'cause I wanted to go practice with it just that one day. Got done with that, back to regular 43X that same night.

I didn't think I was more insane than usual, people who carry full sized all steel 1911s get my respek*, 99% of other ccw carriers carry stuff that's closer to Shield. So the question, Noner's Staccato aside, is who we relate in regards to carry gear and drills to be shot with it, the outliers or everybody else.

With respek* to Shadow 2, both carry and use in defensive classes:

- I wouldn't do either with a gun that has a 2.5 lbs trigger.
    - I wouldn't do either with a gun that has to be thumb-decocked.
    - I wouldn't carry a gun without a firing pin block.
    - I wouldn't carry a 9 mm gun that weighs 47 oz unloaded.
    - I wouldn't carry any gun that weights 47 oz unloaded.

YMMV, of course.

*Respek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBKk1McBLxM
    -
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Funny you asked. I carried my 1911, appendix of course, this Saturday. Full sized, all steel, although masterfully lightened by @Ned Christiansen. Only 'cause I wanted to go practice with it just that one day. Got done with that, back to regular 43X that same night.

I didn't think I was more insane than usual, people who carry full sized all steel 1911s get my respek*, 99% of other ccw carriers carry stuff that's closer to Shield. So the question, Noner's Staccato aside, is who we relate in regards to carry gear and drills to be shot with it, the outliers or everybody else.

With respek* to Shadow 2, both carry and use in defensive classes:

- I wouldn't do either with a gun that has a 2.5 lbs trigger.
    - I wouldn't do either with a gun that has to be thumb-decocked.
    - I wouldn't carry a gun without a firing pin block.
    - I wouldn't carry a 9 mm gun that weighs 47 oz unloaded.
    - I wouldn't carry any gun that weights 47 oz unloaded.

YMMV, of course.

*Respek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBKk1McBLxM
    -
    I like you and respect you. Hopefully you don’t mind a discussion on it and a different viewpoint.

I carry a P365 with XL grip. So I dry fired and shot the FAST x2 (I know it’s not the same as being in class).

Because I wanted to prove to myself that I could do it on demand.

I can also pass and almost clean the old Federal Air Marshal course of fire with that gun as well.

I do it with the manual safety engaged, just like I carry it.

But it’s not the best shooting gun I own.

If I were at home when there was a break in and I were sitting next to my gamer Shadow 2 and my P365...

I would absolutely grab my gamer gun.

In normal life, I don’t carry a spare magazine and I use a holster that rides lower. It’s a little slower to get to the gun, but more comfortable and conceals better.

If I were to do a pistol class, it would be gaming in my mind. It’s a challenge to master. I’m not LEO or military and am really not concerned about defensive pistol as a necessary safety skill versus just another challenge to master that might come in handy, but really is more for my education and enjoyment.

So to that end, I would game in the spirit of the game.

I would pick loose fitting concealment clothing, a holster that wasn’t crazy tight retention and magazine pouches that weren’t buried deep in a pocket.

If the requirements were stock gun with duty powered ammunition, that’s different. But hate the game, not the player.

Hopefully you don’t mind a discussion on it and a different viewpoint.

If I were at home when there was a break in and I were sitting next to my gamer Shadow 2 and my P365...

In normal life, I don’t carry a spare magazine and I use a holster that rides lower. It’s a little slower to get to the gun, but more comfortable and conceals better.

If I were to do a pistol class, it would be gaming in my mind. It’s a challenge to master. I’m not LEO or military and am really not concerned about defensive pistol as a necessary safety skill versus just another challenge to master that might come in handy, but really is more for my education and enjoyment.

So to that end, I would game in the spirit of the game.

I would pick loose fitting concealment clothing, a holster that wasn’t crazy tight retention and magazine pouches that weren’t buried deep in a pocket.
    Nah, I enjoy the conversation. Feel guilty a little that the thread is hijacked but it was already dead.

I'd do many of the same things you would. Certainly if I had to shoot for real and had an option of my Shadow 2 vs 43X, no question. My S2s are unloaded unless at the range tho.

The classes, that's the matter of attitude and reasons. Yeah, if you're going for enjoyment, challenge etc, and class employs some metric that's hard and somehow desirable, gaming it within the rules of this game is what we all do. If not for the speed, I'd use a high ride holster so I don't beat my fingers against the belt. The FAST shot with G34 out of IDPA gear projects IDPA, no necessarily real conceal carry.

To me, and I emphasize that this is just a personal attitude without passing any judgments on others, those things are no longer relatable. I may still go and take a defensive class for reasons not necessarily related to technical aspects, but if a dude pushes some sort of standards while shooting a 9 mm 2011 with a huge magwell, that basically becomes IDPA to me. Oh, I didn't say that, did I..
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

I wouldn't grab my practice S2 because it has 50k rounds through it, and probably 10x that in dryfire. And it probably hasn't been cleaned in 3000 rounds.

I also wouldn't grab my match gun for similar reasons. My guns aren't life safety equipment unless I keep them specifically for that purpose.

If I had a S2 for home defense... yes sure. But I have 2 P-07s for carry/home defense instead. (And a practice P-07 for practice).
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I wouldn't grab my practice S2 because it has 50k rounds through it, and probably 10x that in dryfire. And it probably hasn't been cleaned in 3000 rounds.

I also wouldn't grab my match gun for similar reasons. My guns aren't life safety equipment unless I keep them specifically for that purpose.

If I had a S2 for home defense... yes sure. But I have 2 P-07s for carry/home defense instead. (And a practice P-07 for practice).
    My actual home defense gun is a Glock.

I’ve been trying to warm up to the Maxim 9 as a home defense gun... but that trigger... bleh.

I recently shot an outlaw match with mostly IDPA rules, that allowed AIWB carry. At least on my squad, everyone was safe, and the AIWB carriers did not cause any issues. It was cold and rainy so we all wore a lot of clothing. I observed a few strongside IWB carriers speed/slam holster or poke around to find their holster under their jacket. The AIWB shooters had none of these issues, and could look their gun into the holster. From what I saw, even newer shooters were not endangered by carrying AIWB.

I will add that this was the first time-plus IDPA scoring match I've shot in at least 5 years. If was fun, but not something I will do very often. Several high-scoring shooters inspected targets after each array and cleaned up any points down, and that's not something I want to do.

The best part of the match was squadding with a retired LEO SWAT guy I hadn't seen in years. It was good to catch up, and I like his "default aggressive" approach to defensive scenarios.

Several high-scoring shooters inspected targets after each array and cleaned up any points down, and that's not something I want to do.
    Can you explain this? I'm not clear on what "cleaned up any points down" means.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Can you explain this? I'm not clear on what "cleaned up any points down" means.
    After shooting a group of targets, they visually inspected their hits and if there were any outside of the Down-0 circle, they would shoot makeups. At 1s per point down, there's plenty of time to do that.

Site Supporter
    After shooting a group of targets, they visually inspected their hits and if there were any outside of the Down-0 circle, they would shoot makeups. At 1s per point down, there's plenty of time to do that.
    It's still faster (especially over a whole match) to just shoot at a speed where you can shoot 90-95ish percent of the available points. This makes it a slightly slower pace than USPSA minor (around 90% usually fastest), and a bit slower than major(80-85% usually fastest). Unless you're shooting lots of mikes, I have a hard time wrapping my head around the time needed to assess, reacquire, and shoot being faster. I'll make up a shot that I call out of the -0 while I'm in the process of shooting (assuming it won't have a reload consequence) because that's almost always faster (only takes .25-.5 depending on target difficulty), but actually reassessing uncalled bad shots seems slower.

I was going to ask same as guys with vacuums immediately popped in my head.

How does the SO watch the holstering? This is not a criticism but a question.

User Tag List