Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Why choose to SBR vs AR pistol?

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    Also, if you are only going to use one upper and not swapping different uppers around, then you can mark the barrel of the upper with the required info instead of the lower.
    Do you have any sense of how visible is visible?

So if I engrave a barrel on the side but you can see it through the handguard with a flashlight, should be kosher I would think?

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I’ve never heard this before - it would make life a lot easier with ARs.
    It's probably easier to mark the lower, since every short barreled upper you put on it will also have to be marked. The lower with the serial number is would still be the firearm. But if you are only going to have one upper, and you don't want to mark the lower, you can put your name, city, and state on the barrel as long as it is visible through the hand guards.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Do you have any sense of how visible is visible?

So if I engrave a barrel on the side but you can see it through the handguard with a flashlight, should be kosher I would think?
    Yes, that is what I did.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Why choose to SBR vs AR pistol?

I had my trust name engraved on the lowers, with lettering large enough to satisfy the requirements.

I don’t have any “one upper” lowers. For me that defeats a big advantage of an AR, and especially a SBR lower.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Why SBR?

1. Stocks are better for shouldering. Most of the braces out there are lacking in one way or another when it comes to shouldering. Most of them also have some sort of built in LOP limitation which makes the gun less comfortable to operate. If you run your stock all the way in or one click out, you'll never experience this, but if you like to run your stock all the way out or one click in, the shorter LOP can make you feel like you're all cramped up. Some braces are made of floppy rubber that folds over and bends when you're using it.
    2. It removes most if not all of the ambiguity around short barrel guns. With a SBR, put whatever stock, grip, foregrip, optic, bottle opener, pez dispenser, Chick Fil A sauce holder you want to. With a braced pistol there's always the questions that follow. Can I run this foregrip? Does this OAL make it a firearm or pistol? Is this a VFG or an AFG?
    3. The govt already knows you have guns, and they know you post on gun forums.
    4. Braces really aren't sticking it to the govt the way some people think they are. You're still in compliance with the NFA so the chest beating about not registering and not complying is kinda cringe.

Why AR pistol?

1. It's a tiny, little bit easier to cross state lines. But the process for traveling with a SBR across state lines is often overblown and exaggerated. It's not that hard.
    2. This is mostly state/jurisdiction dependent, but for folks in states like WA with antiquated anti poaching laws that prevent carrying a loaded rifle in your vehicle, an AR pistol can be carried loaded the same way you'd carry a loaded handgun with your CPL. I maintain a braced AR pistol with LAW folder for this reason and will continue to do so while it gives me that advantage. If they make braces illegal, I will not be going to a bare buffer tube. That sucks and I'm not interested. I'll form 1 my lower with LAW folder and leave the magazine out of it when in the vehicle.
    3. You don't have $200 to spare.

As far as I'm concerned a stock is in every way better than a brace so why not run a stock? I hear the argument that it's easier to keep in the vehicle and I understand that but do you not exit your vehicle when you reach a destination? Are we just leaving our "pistols" in our cars? That seems like a poor idea to me. Are we lugging them around in a backpack? At that point is it really that much more useful than a standard concealed pistol? I would argue no. I understand that there are times when a rifle caliber pistol would be nice like in an RV or something but overall I don't see the big benefits.
    Come, mother, come! For terror is thy name, death is in thy breath, and every shaking step destroys a world for e'er. Thou 'time', the all-destroyer! Come, O mother, come!

Quote Originally Posted by snow white View Post
    As far as I'm concerned a stock is in every way better than a brace so why not run a stock? I hear the argument that it's easier to keep in the vehicle and I understand that but do you not exit your vehicle when you reach a destination? Are we just leaving our "pistols" in our cars? That seems like a poor idea to me. Are we lugging them around in a backpack? At that point is it really that much more useful than a standard concealed pistol? I would argue no. I understand that there are times when a rifle caliber pistol would be nice like in an RV or something but overall I don't see the big benefits.
    I do not leave it my vehicle. It's transported in a backpack and does not replace my concealed pistol, it supplements it. I spend a lot of time in remote areas with no cell service and I prefer to have a rifle caliber on hand in those circumstances. Prior to WA changing the SBR and silencer laws and braces being a thing, a 16" rifle filled that role.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    I do not leave it my vehicle. It's transported in a backpack and does not replace my concealed pistol, it supplements it. I spend a lot of time in remote areas with no cell service and I prefer to have a rifle caliber on hand in those circumstances. Prior to WA changing the SBR and silencer laws and braces being a thing, a 16" rifle filled that role.
    Nice, Solid use of that platform.
    Come, mother, come! For terror is thy name, death is in thy breath, and every shaking step destroys a world for e'er. Thou 'time', the all-destroyer! Come, O mother, come!

Post Sandy Hook Connecticut banned ARs but did not include Pre-ban ARs in the ban. A few years back people discovered the firearm category "Other". Many thousands of complete Others have been legally sold/transferred into the hands of CT residents. Stripped lowers have been going like hotcakes once dealers got comfortable selling Others. People were reluctant to dip their toe in and then the dam broke.

CT law bans loaded long guns in vehicles. An Other is not a long gun. A few attorneys I have spoken with including one who represents USCCA all say, "Do you want to be the Test Case to challenge the arrest/charges?"

An "Other" is defined by what it is NOT. Barrel longer than 12" so it is not a pistol. Brace & forward vertical grip since it is not designed to be shouldered so therefore not a rifle. Overall length has to be over 26".

Legislation in the CT House is targeting Others & Pre-Bans. There is talk of banning all of them and opening up the CT AW registry and people will be allowed to keep them if they comply and register.

How the chips fall with CT in combination with Federal law will potentially determine if the Others with barrels shorter than 16" may need special consideration.

I know a few folks who have suffered catastrophic losses.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Sorry, I lost all my politicians in a boating accident.

Quote Originally Posted by snow white View Post
    As far as I'm concerned a stock is in every way better than a brace so why not run a stock?
    You can get SBR's in Illinois, but it's a bit of a runaround. Of course stocks are better, but with SBA3's, SBA4's and Tailhooks available I'm not sure they're $200 and more paperwork better. I can't have suppressors anyway, so without those running a brace vs a stock is 'almost as good' and not something I'm willing to put too much effort into improving.

User Tag List