Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: STAT TQ = Snake Oil

STAT TQ = Snake Oil

I had some pretty hardline reservations about this when it was released. Turns out my assumptions were correct:

STAT Tourniquet: 21 out of 24 Applications FAIL

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Shertz, Crisis Medicine, 5NOV18
    CONCLUSION: We tested 24 self-applied high on the thigh STAT tourniquets on volunteers, verifying occlusion of arterial vascular flow by doppler ultrasound in the posterior tibial artery. We had 3 successful applications, 2 devices had mechanical failure (the locking mechanism slipped and would not allow continued tightening). Of the tested devices, 21 failed to achieve vascular occlusion.
    Here's some of their weak-sauce Tech Insider video:

Last edited by TGS; 11-06-2018 at 02:10 AM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

As soon as I saw a Tech Insider video pop up on my Facebook feed advertising this, I knew it was bullshit. Most of the stuff with flashy vids like that are just hyping unproven tech or vastly oversimplifying serious issues for the sake of getting people who subscribe to "I fucking love science" to share it because "it's cool."

I had an immediate, vehemently negative reaction to this because in this case, someone buying into the hype could result in people dying. A bit disappointed that my predictions were so on-the-nose just like yours were, but if nothing else I'm glad there's concrete evidence to share to any soccer moms who are in the right sort of preparedness mindset but aren't getting info from good sources.

Fortunately. as an old goat, I'm not engaged in social media and I've not been exposed to these. They just look like a bad idea.

I carry 2 CAT TQ's on me. We utilize SOFTT-W TQ's in our ER in order to standardize with our local EMS services and LEO's.

We've had 13 uses (in ER applications) in the past 2 years, I've applied 3 of them, and were able to rapidly gain arterial occlusion.

It's sad to think people are being exposed to such rubbish as this, think they are "doing good", and simply don't know any better.

The video mentioned Peds TQ application...Our local/area Children's Hospital Bus carries and uses the SWAT TQ trimmed to size for infants and small children. I've done limited doppler testing with one, but was able to obtain arterial occlusion repeatedly. But as far as adults go I'd personally stick with the CAT or SOFTT-W.

Anyone else try the SWAT TQ with emphasis on "little people"?

Thanks for getting the word out TGS.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    Fortunately. as an old goat, I'm not engaged in social media and I've not been exposed to these. They just look like a bad idea.

I carry 2 CAT TQ's on me. We utilize SOFTT-W TQ's in our ER in order to standardize with our local EMS services and LEO's.

We've had 13 uses (in ER applications) in the past 2 years, I've applied 3 of them, and were able to rapidly gain arterial occlusion.

It's sad to think people are being exposed to such rubbish as this, think they are "doing good", and simply don't know any better.

The video mentioned Peds TQ application...Our local/area Children's Hospital Bus carries and uses the SWAT TQ trimmed to size for infants and small children. I've done limited doppler testing with one, but was able to obtain arterial occlusion repeatedly. But as far as adults go I'd personally stick with the CAT or SOFTT-W.

Anyone else try the SWAT TQ with emphasis on "little people"?

Thanks for getting the word out TGS.
    You bet, brother. We had lots of success with the SOFT-TW at my last job (EMS) and also on my current job as the issued TQ (LE).

As for the SWAT TQ on little people, not in real life but in my B-Con classes my students applied the SWAT TQ on other children students (1 or 2, not many) with better success than adults as measured by feeling for a pulse. I personally carry them, but view them for kids/K9 only and as a secondary TQ to the SOFT-TW, or for use as a pressure dressing to hold packed gauze in place for my minimal trauma kits where I don't have room for a real bandage like the NAR ETD or Israeli.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Thanks for sharing this.

I’d seen the promotional videos floating around bookface and while skeptical thought it seemed nifty, but was waiting for some adequate testing to be done.

Add this to the “nope” pile.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

I've been carrying/training with the new RMT from m2inc. They're based out of VT and I'm having good results with one handed application using the bite strap. I'm not sure if they're TCCC approved yet but I believe they're in the process. I've applied and witnessed a CAT applied several times and they work well, a recent Amtac combatives course exposed me to slippery (soybean oil) hands and applying a CAT with windlass was markedly more difficult than the RMT I had tried.

Apologies for the drift.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Look! Just because we're bereaved, that doesn't make us saps!

Of all the things in this world I intend to not be the early adopter of, emergency medical items are at the top.

I'll take the one that's been used successfully in the GWOT for a decade, thank you very much.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I re-took BCON with Dr Peter Pons this summer and he confirmed that the only two choices for TQ you should consider seriously are the CAT-T and SOFTT-T. Don't think he made a distinction between SOFTT-W and regular SOFTT-T.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Sellers View Post
    I've been carrying/training with the new RMT from m2inc. They're based out of VT and I'm having good results with one handed application using the bite strap. I'm not sure if they're TCCC approved yet but I believe they're in the process. I've applied and witnessed a CAT applied several times and they work well, a recent Amtac combatives course exposed me to slippery (soybean oil) hands and applying a CAT with windlass was markedly more difficult than the RMT I had tried.

Apologies for the drift.

Per same course/instructor the RMT has a fatal flaw - it does not apply true circumferential pressure. Because the ratcheting band and teeth are made of relatively (vs nylon) inflexible plastic, they don't fully wrap around the limb to which it is applied, and instead adopt a wide "C" shaped curvature, vs. the nylon most traditional TQs are made of which are unlimited in their ability to flex as the TQ is tightened.

This limitation is readily apparent when you try to apply it to thinner extremities such as the bicep, forearm, calf - especially on a female, adolescent, or male of smaller stature. When you're applying one to your (likely male, larger) colleagues in an Amtac class this won't be as apparent, but it would be a very hard lesson to learn in the field. Just my 0.02USD
    Last edited by Nephrology; 11-07-2018 at 08:55 AM.

Absolutely makes sense to me brother. I know they make a few different models for different applications (pedi,k9 etc) just not sure how it all shakes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I re-took BCON with Dr Peter Pons this summer and he confirmed that the only two choices for TQ you should consider seriously are the CAT-T and SOFTT-T. Don't think he made a distinction between SOFTT-W and regular SOFTT-T.

Per same course/instructor the RMT has a fatal flaw - it does not apply true circumferential pressure. Because the ratcheting band and teeth are made of relatively (vs nylon) inflexible plastic, they don't fully wrap around the limb to which it is applied, and instead adopt a wide "C" shaped curvature, vs. the nylon most traditional TQs are made of which are unlimited in their ability to flex as the TQ is tightened.

This limitation is readily apparent when you try to apply it to thinner extremities such as the bicep, forearm, calf - especially on a female, adolescent, or male of smaller stature. When you're applying one to your (likely male, larger) colleagues in an Amtac class this won't be as apparent, but it would be a very hard lesson to learn in the field. Just my 0.02USD
    Look! Just because we're bereaved, that doesn't make us saps!

I am a novice when it comes to TQs but I am shocked that someone would create a peice of lifesaving equipment and not even test it. Even worse to find that it is totally inadequate and someone could lose a life if they did not know better.

Just blantant incompetence and morally wrong.

Maybe I am thinking to much into it.

User Tag List